GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Lord of the Rings: "The Game""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/12/01 at 20:57
Regular
Yip Its what Im really looking forward to. One of those games based on the wonderful unbeatable books.

The Lord of the Rings Game titles HAVE to be spectacular, they have to be superb and they have to combine the style and vigour of the many gaming greats that has went before it, namely the Legend of Zelda Series; and even building on something unique on its own, with possible sprawling exploration and an enormous lifespan.
What is needed is something that 'plays' as entertaining as the Books sustained entertainment.
It is going to be hard, Its going to be daunting and problems are looming, problems that will cause confusion and some company seriously out of pocket!.

Something(s) is brewing within the confines of the Gaming world. Some poor soul is beavering away at creating the lands of Middle Earth hoping to bring the world of Hobbit's and Wizard's to life. But that someone will be in for a sustained walloping to the wallet. Problems have indeed brewed, stirring in the mists with a looming corporate eye........ of some Western US Coast Company.

Not just one Lord of the Rings Game, but in fact 2!
One 'EA' trilogy of games based on the Peter Jackson Interpretation of the books.
And the other first to the post with the Next gen Titles(Nvidia) based on the real McCoy, the Books themselves!

Now correct me if Im wrong, but there is guaranteed to be a strong rivaly between each title, isn't there?
Each Interpretation will be compared to the other with the 'Greatest' being the sucessor in the sales and the other being the silly little loser regardless of the playability it contains.
Now thats the problem, a possible decent game being slated because it doesn't match the playability of its alter ego.
The other problem lies in the fact that they will be released simultaneously, or at-least not to far apart.

Consumers will be left confused as to which one to buy, they will be left with an unfair choice.

Do you see my meaning?

Or will It be worth it in the end, with each vying for success and competition?.
At least it will be 6 titles to look forward to.
Heres hoping for the best.
Fri 28/12/01 at 20:57
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Yip Its what Im really looking forward to. One of those games based on the wonderful unbeatable books.

The Lord of the Rings Game titles HAVE to be spectacular, they have to be superb and they have to combine the style and vigour of the many gaming greats that has went before it, namely the Legend of Zelda Series; and even building on something unique on its own, with possible sprawling exploration and an enormous lifespan.
What is needed is something that 'plays' as entertaining as the Books sustained entertainment.
It is going to be hard, Its going to be daunting and problems are looming, problems that will cause confusion and some company seriously out of pocket!.

Something(s) is brewing within the confines of the Gaming world. Some poor soul is beavering away at creating the lands of Middle Earth hoping to bring the world of Hobbit's and Wizard's to life. But that someone will be in for a sustained walloping to the wallet. Problems have indeed brewed, stirring in the mists with a looming corporate eye........ of some Western US Coast Company.

Not just one Lord of the Rings Game, but in fact 2!
One 'EA' trilogy of games based on the Peter Jackson Interpretation of the books.
And the other first to the post with the Next gen Titles(Nvidia) based on the real McCoy, the Books themselves!

Now correct me if Im wrong, but there is guaranteed to be a strong rivaly between each title, isn't there?
Each Interpretation will be compared to the other with the 'Greatest' being the sucessor in the sales and the other being the silly little loser regardless of the playability it contains.
Now thats the problem, a possible decent game being slated because it doesn't match the playability of its alter ego.
The other problem lies in the fact that they will be released simultaneously, or at-least not to far apart.

Consumers will be left confused as to which one to buy, they will be left with an unfair choice.

Do you see my meaning?

Or will It be worth it in the end, with each vying for success and competition?.
At least it will be 6 titles to look forward to.
Heres hoping for the best.
Fri 28/12/01 at 21:45
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Hmm. I having really be following the news on the Lord Of The Rings games, I think it'll need some careful reading up on everyone's part to decide which one is best. But they'll probably both end up like very poor spin-off games made purely for the money.
Sat 29/12/01 at 12:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
I didn't know you liked LotR, WolfHound.
Sun 30/12/01 at 16:33
Regular
I've sold "Lord of the Rings" socks where I worked before.
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:17
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
It's EA right?

I smell a cash-in...
Sun 30/12/01 at 21:33
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Just heard that 'one' of the two trilogies will have you playing as Aragorn from the start rather than Frodo.
If this starting role is from the game based on the 'Books', this could see you on the hunt for Smeagol at the start leading yourself to the Prancing Pony Inn at Bree.
Sounds exciting.
Sun 30/12/01 at 23:09
Regular
The_Vottanator wrote:
> It's EA right?

I smell a cash-in...

Nope, Marks and Spencer :)
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:16
< I’ve received all the info for it through a friend of mine

Its finaly on its way

Universal Interactive has announced plans to publish games based on the Lord of the Rings series of books. This is a separate license from the one that covers the recently released movie, which EA holds the game rights for.

The first games in the series are The Fellowship of the Ring for the Xbox and The Lord of the Rings, Part I for the Game Boy Advance. The Fellowship of the Ring is a third-person action game developed by WXP. In it, players will take on the roles of Frodo, Aragorn, and Gandalf in a quest to destroy the One Ring of Power.

The Lord of the Rings, Part I for the Game Boy Advance covers the first two books in the series, taking players through the events of The Fellowship of the Ring and some of the events in The Two Towers. The game is described by Universal as an RPG-style game that is viewed from an isometric perspective.

Both games are scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of 2002.

goto:-
http://gamespot.com/
gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,546322-1,00.html
for Screen shot of Gimli, The dwarven warrior (shown on the xbox)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.