GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox Live Setup"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/03/03 at 18:33
Regular
What set up are people using to get on XBox Live?

Connection: BT Openworld 512k ADSL
Network: LinkSys Wireless Access Point Router with 4-Port Switch
LinkSys Wireless Ethernet Bridge
Dabs.com own ADSL modem with Ethernet port (since BT don't give you one with an Ethernet port on it)
Tue 11/03/03 at 12:17
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dwarf_Pr0n wrote:
> Also depends on the line quality which usually degrades after after
> 3km.

Ping doesnt matter on that. Its data that matters on line quality not ping. Data travels at a certain speed through copper wires(Your Phone line), it also travels certain speeds in other media. Line quality doesnt stop the data travelling at the same speed across the media it will just cause errors in packets etc.
Tue 11/03/03 at 09:03
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
Also depends on the line quality which usually degrades after after 3km.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:40
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dwarf_Pr0n wrote:
> I'm close to my exchange so I get decent pings most of the time.

Well seeing as the maximum distance is 5.5Km for ADSL then every one gets the same sort of pings. Not much difference in being 1cm away from the exchange and being 5.5Km both will probably get the same ping. The only other thing that does effect ping is the hardware you use. A USB modem is generally slower than if you used a NIC and a router, or a PCI modem.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:37
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
I'm close to my exchange so I get decent pings most of the time.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dwarf_Pr0n wrote:
> Now that's fast.
> Although 1Mb connections don't really affect games that much. I can
> still out ping a 1Mb user on Counter Strike with my standard ADSL line
> at times.

Yes because its still a broadband connection. No matter how fast you can go down ADSL or cable pings dont increase on the amount of data you can send. The only times pings would increase is if you used Fibre Optics due to them using light instead of copper, or if you were closer to the destination.
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:58
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
Now that's fast.
Although 1Mb connections don't really affect games that much. I can still out ping a 1Mb user on Counter Strike with my standard ADSL line at times.
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:39
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
i got a 1mb ntl cable modem

dont know much about it (except its as quick as a fat man with a free dinner ticket)
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:10
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
Does XBox Live work well on fleas? :)
Sun 09/03/03 at 20:48
Regular
"Remember me?"
I've got fleas. :)
Sun 09/03/03 at 19:56
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
BTOpenworld 512K Broadband

Old PC running Linux and IP Cop (acting as a router)

I use Coax network cable.

One wire running around the house. First it goes into the dining room, with two connections (main PC and Laptop connection)

Then it continues into my room, where it then goes into a hub, with one wire going into my PC, and one wire into my Xbox.

The same wire then goes to my sister's room, connects to her PC, and terminates.

Got it? Good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.