GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC1 - Book Return Day"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/07/06 at 15:43
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
“Yet another late book, Mr Reeds?” the elderly librarian’s eyes shot flashes of anger towards the small boy in front of her.

Jonathan began to explain, “Sorry, it’s just - ” the librarian threw out a claw like hand and stole the book, opened the front cover, rolled a stamp in a small soft pit of fabric drenched in ink and thumped it firmly on the front page, just below a few similar markings. The librarian’s eyes were still fixed on the nervous boy’s now sweating face.

The old woman sighed with weariness, “I’m afraid there will have to be a fine issued.” Shamefully the boy in front of her took his glance off of her eyes and looked down at his shoes. “I believe you’ve already been fined three times by this library?” Before allowing him the chance to answer she continued, “Yes, yes, well I’m afraid the punishment is more severe this time.”

A gloomy look spread over the boy’s face. The librarian then picked up a medium sized cigarette. Then again her claw like limbs were called into action: her hand dived into a pocket and revealed a silver lighter, which had the strangest engravings, unlike any symbols Jonathan had seen before. They glinted in the sunlight that pierced through a thin curtain behind the library’s main desk where the librarian was perched. She opened the lighter’s top and rolled her finger along it. With a flash the lighter gave birth to a magnificent green flame.

Jonathan was shocked and gave out a small gasp. Carefully and coolly the elderly woman let the flame lick the end of the cigarette, it was then alight. She then proceeded to smoke it, confused Jonathan enquired, “Excuse me, do I need to pay now? It’s just I’ll need to go home first to get money.” The woman gave no answer. Then she delicately removed the cigarette from her mouth and dabbed it in a small black tray in front of her.

Suddenly ash began to rise from the tray, swirling violently. A roaring sound was let out as the spiralling tower of ash continued to grow in height and width. It quickly gathered in pace and was surrounding Jonathan. All he could see were black and grey particles spinning dizzily. Then there was a flash.

“Hello, welcome to my world, John, you don’t mind me calling you John do you?” a depressing, low voice rang out in Jonathan’s ears. He still had his eyes clenched tightly shut, in attempt to shield himself from the dark dust. Nervously he opened them to take in his surroundings.

Quickly he shut them again, more out of reflex then of horror: his eyes needed time to adjust to this place: bright, vibrant colours were everywhere. As his eyes finally adjusted a puzzled expression came over his face. In front of him were two giant rosy apples. They looked like they had been polished for an eternity and shone fiercely. Jonathan then looked to his right; three noble pears were standing there, looking as if they were centurions guarding a hidden treasure. Then next to them were four perfectly round and humble peaches, each one beautifully coloured golden, as if they had picked up a tan from the sun.

“They were quite nice actually, but I’m bored of them now,” the depressed voice echoed out again, somewhere in front of Jonathan, “I’ve been eating them for too long, yet they never run out and never rot.” The voice appeared deeply saddened at this.

“W-w-where am I?”

“You don’t know? All this time I’ve been here and you don’t know?” the voice sounded offended.

The three noble pears rocked slightly, the source of the voice was coming from behind them, and each time it spoke they shook with the low pitch.

“Who are you?” the boy took a bit of comfort in the belief that voice was apparently hiding from him, possibly through fear, but there was still doubt in his mind so he slowly moved towards one of the apples and went behind it.

“There’s no good hiding, I can be everywhere and anywhere here. This is my world.” As this was said the pears again rocked.

Suddenly the voice was on top of Jonathan and he could feel the warm breath on the back of his neck, “Hello.” He slowly turned. Bewilderment and terror crossed paths on Jonathan’s face. In front of him was an enormous round red face. Huge blue eyes were focused on him, framing them were yellow rims. On top of the face were two, almost spring like, crimson antennae. Behind the head snaked a long plump green body. On the underside of the body were tiny, fragile legs. There was silence.

“How do you do?” said the caterpillar. The boy gave no answer. “I haven’t had a visitor in a while. It’s so lonely here.” True sadness was in the voice.

“I recognise this…”

“Thought you might when you saw me.”

“But how?”

“Don’t ask me. All I know is that occasionally I get a guest who I have to play host to, I don’t know how any of you get here, but I shouldn’t complain: I like the company. I’m hungry, would you like some fruit?”

“I guess so…”

For the first time in many years the caterpillar wore a smile on his wide green face, “Don’t worry, you won’t be here forever, just 'til your debts are paid off. Promise me though, when you’re gone, you won’t forget me.”
Sat 22/07/06 at 11:42
Regular
The very hungry catterpillar?
Thu 20/07/06 at 12:58
"possibly impossible"
Quite a nice little tale. I enjoyed that. A bit Stephen King meets Alice in Wonderland :)
Mon 17/07/06 at 11:48
Regular
"Mooching around"
I'm lost... The ending? Where is he? A sequel perhaps?!
Sat 15/07/06 at 15:43
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
“Yet another late book, Mr Reeds?” the elderly librarian’s eyes shot flashes of anger towards the small boy in front of her.

Jonathan began to explain, “Sorry, it’s just - ” the librarian threw out a claw like hand and stole the book, opened the front cover, rolled a stamp in a small soft pit of fabric drenched in ink and thumped it firmly on the front page, just below a few similar markings. The librarian’s eyes were still fixed on the nervous boy’s now sweating face.

The old woman sighed with weariness, “I’m afraid there will have to be a fine issued.” Shamefully the boy in front of her took his glance off of her eyes and looked down at his shoes. “I believe you’ve already been fined three times by this library?” Before allowing him the chance to answer she continued, “Yes, yes, well I’m afraid the punishment is more severe this time.”

A gloomy look spread over the boy’s face. The librarian then picked up a medium sized cigarette. Then again her claw like limbs were called into action: her hand dived into a pocket and revealed a silver lighter, which had the strangest engravings, unlike any symbols Jonathan had seen before. They glinted in the sunlight that pierced through a thin curtain behind the library’s main desk where the librarian was perched. She opened the lighter’s top and rolled her finger along it. With a flash the lighter gave birth to a magnificent green flame.

Jonathan was shocked and gave out a small gasp. Carefully and coolly the elderly woman let the flame lick the end of the cigarette, it was then alight. She then proceeded to smoke it, confused Jonathan enquired, “Excuse me, do I need to pay now? It’s just I’ll need to go home first to get money.” The woman gave no answer. Then she delicately removed the cigarette from her mouth and dabbed it in a small black tray in front of her.

Suddenly ash began to rise from the tray, swirling violently. A roaring sound was let out as the spiralling tower of ash continued to grow in height and width. It quickly gathered in pace and was surrounding Jonathan. All he could see were black and grey particles spinning dizzily. Then there was a flash.

“Hello, welcome to my world, John, you don’t mind me calling you John do you?” a depressing, low voice rang out in Jonathan’s ears. He still had his eyes clenched tightly shut, in attempt to shield himself from the dark dust. Nervously he opened them to take in his surroundings.

Quickly he shut them again, more out of reflex then of horror: his eyes needed time to adjust to this place: bright, vibrant colours were everywhere. As his eyes finally adjusted a puzzled expression came over his face. In front of him were two giant rosy apples. They looked like they had been polished for an eternity and shone fiercely. Jonathan then looked to his right; three noble pears were standing there, looking as if they were centurions guarding a hidden treasure. Then next to them were four perfectly round and humble peaches, each one beautifully coloured golden, as if they had picked up a tan from the sun.

“They were quite nice actually, but I’m bored of them now,” the depressed voice echoed out again, somewhere in front of Jonathan, “I’ve been eating them for too long, yet they never run out and never rot.” The voice appeared deeply saddened at this.

“W-w-where am I?”

“You don’t know? All this time I’ve been here and you don’t know?” the voice sounded offended.

The three noble pears rocked slightly, the source of the voice was coming from behind them, and each time it spoke they shook with the low pitch.

“Who are you?” the boy took a bit of comfort in the belief that voice was apparently hiding from him, possibly through fear, but there was still doubt in his mind so he slowly moved towards one of the apples and went behind it.

“There’s no good hiding, I can be everywhere and anywhere here. This is my world.” As this was said the pears again rocked.

Suddenly the voice was on top of Jonathan and he could feel the warm breath on the back of his neck, “Hello.” He slowly turned. Bewilderment and terror crossed paths on Jonathan’s face. In front of him was an enormous round red face. Huge blue eyes were focused on him, framing them were yellow rims. On top of the face were two, almost spring like, crimson antennae. Behind the head snaked a long plump green body. On the underside of the body were tiny, fragile legs. There was silence.

“How do you do?” said the caterpillar. The boy gave no answer. “I haven’t had a visitor in a while. It’s so lonely here.” True sadness was in the voice.

“I recognise this…”

“Thought you might when you saw me.”

“But how?”

“Don’t ask me. All I know is that occasionally I get a guest who I have to play host to, I don’t know how any of you get here, but I shouldn’t complain: I like the company. I’m hungry, would you like some fruit?”

“I guess so…”

For the first time in many years the caterpillar wore a smile on his wide green face, “Don’t worry, you won’t be here forever, just 'til your debts are paid off. Promise me though, when you’re gone, you won’t forget me.”

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.