GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"And the greatest understatement of the century award goes to..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/12/01 at 02:28
Regular
OPS2!

I quote:

"Merqury City Meltdown: The improvements are subtle"

Muguh?? Did they accidentally forget to put the new track on their review version or something? The thing's barely recognisable! Its a whole new bloody city FFS!

I mean, I've read them go a bit lightly about things in the past but this really is a soul-shocking understatement. I was really looking forward to seeing my precious Merq again, and the changes made were astounding. Now, I've only raced on it three times so far (well, you know how it is. Can't stop winning!) but I don't really think it has the same soul as the first. Some of the short cuts are impressive but it doesn't quite have the same insane arcade-feel as the first. When I raced it I felt as if I was playing Alpine Racer 2 at Centre 4 in Leeds. But hey everything evolves and SSX:Tricky is certainly that if nothing else.

On the whole I'm impressed by the new games. initially I was sceptical towards it. I mean, EA, what more do I need to say? However, after.... 4 minutes I realised that this really was a game worth playing. Right from the intro I could see iw was going to be a completely different animal. It seems to be showing, dare I say it, some realy innovation in the way it's crafted and realised, which I think is a really good thing. Of course, being an SSX veteren I quickly got into the swing of things (after some slight teething troubles because of using AirBlade controls) and I was winning my fair share of races. I think it's a bit harder than its younger sibling, but the restart race option is very welcome. As I remember, you didn't have it in the original without having to replay the previous rounds. This makes much less sense but is definitely much more fun. The new uber-trick and super boost element is very interesting and a very good reason to stick at it.

But, I really think the developers need a big hand. The term used to describe the track changes was "tweaked". Well, this goes above and beyond that (yet another understatement). Some of the tarcks have completely different sections and one in particular *ahem* is completely unrecognisable.No bad thing of course, it just makes great things excellent.

Onwards.. to the new courses!

Garibaldi: Well, not much to say about this. Fair enough track.

Alaska: Lots to say about this, one of them being "WOW!!". I think the most insane course in a video game ever crown has been half-inched of Merq's majestic cranium and placed swuarely in the peaks and troughs of Alaska. Right from the first mind-numbing drop through to THAT wind pipe at the end, this baby is one non-stop rolercoaster ride crest to chasm, with white-nuckle ramps, insane drops and banked turns that wouldn't be out of place on a bob-sled course. This is speed. This is air. This IS, SSX!

Thank you, and, goodnight-tah!
Thu 27/12/01 at 02:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
OPS2!

I quote:

"Merqury City Meltdown: The improvements are subtle"

Muguh?? Did they accidentally forget to put the new track on their review version or something? The thing's barely recognisable! Its a whole new bloody city FFS!

I mean, I've read them go a bit lightly about things in the past but this really is a soul-shocking understatement. I was really looking forward to seeing my precious Merq again, and the changes made were astounding. Now, I've only raced on it three times so far (well, you know how it is. Can't stop winning!) but I don't really think it has the same soul as the first. Some of the short cuts are impressive but it doesn't quite have the same insane arcade-feel as the first. When I raced it I felt as if I was playing Alpine Racer 2 at Centre 4 in Leeds. But hey everything evolves and SSX:Tricky is certainly that if nothing else.

On the whole I'm impressed by the new games. initially I was sceptical towards it. I mean, EA, what more do I need to say? However, after.... 4 minutes I realised that this really was a game worth playing. Right from the intro I could see iw was going to be a completely different animal. It seems to be showing, dare I say it, some realy innovation in the way it's crafted and realised, which I think is a really good thing. Of course, being an SSX veteren I quickly got into the swing of things (after some slight teething troubles because of using AirBlade controls) and I was winning my fair share of races. I think it's a bit harder than its younger sibling, but the restart race option is very welcome. As I remember, you didn't have it in the original without having to replay the previous rounds. This makes much less sense but is definitely much more fun. The new uber-trick and super boost element is very interesting and a very good reason to stick at it.

But, I really think the developers need a big hand. The term used to describe the track changes was "tweaked". Well, this goes above and beyond that (yet another understatement). Some of the tarcks have completely different sections and one in particular *ahem* is completely unrecognisable.No bad thing of course, it just makes great things excellent.

Onwards.. to the new courses!

Garibaldi: Well, not much to say about this. Fair enough track.

Alaska: Lots to say about this, one of them being "WOW!!". I think the most insane course in a video game ever crown has been half-inched of Merq's majestic cranium and placed swuarely in the peaks and troughs of Alaska. Right from the first mind-numbing drop through to THAT wind pipe at the end, this baby is one non-stop rolercoaster ride crest to chasm, with white-nuckle ramps, insane drops and banked turns that wouldn't be out of place on a bob-sled course. This is speed. This is air. This IS, SSX!

Thank you, and, goodnight-tah!
Thu 27/12/01 at 08:55
Regular
"Guess who..."
Wow, you write alot.

From Tazz.

Go in Peace,

Serve the Lord,

and KILL BIN LADEN!!
Thu 27/12/01 at 12:43
here's another understatement

grand theft auto 3 has improved just a bit on it's prequels
Thu 27/12/01 at 18:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
POP to the top!

I want phil to read this.
Thu 27/12/01 at 21:00
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
How about this:

"Metal Gear Solid 2 is good."
Thu 27/12/01 at 23:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Urgh...

I'm not looking for suggestions for understatements, and moron who's passed primary school can do that! I was looking more in the general area of comments on SSX Tricky, in case you hadn't quite noticed.

Jeez...
Thu 27/12/01 at 23:57
Regular
"accidental superher"
merqury city is now REALLY fast....really cool too...in some ways i am really glad i have SSX too cos the tracks are just soooooo different...
not sure which one i like more though....
uber tricks are fab though
(DO the SUPER uber tricks really exist??)
Fri 28/12/01 at 00:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I don't know really. I know you can do signature-moves which are pretty awesome. Check it out in the manual.
Fri 28/12/01 at 00:31
Regular
"accidental superher"
is it just me or has ssx tricky actually slowed down??
cos i remember my first thoughts being that it was really slow...
now it actually seems quite fast...but that;s cos i haven't touched ssx since
Fri 28/12/01 at 01:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It seems a lot faster to me; Alaska certainly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.