GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 - A few questions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/12/01 at 19:25
Regular
Ok, so i am thinking of buying a PS2 with the money i got for christmas...i have a few questions...

1. The best deal i can see about is http://special.reserve.co.uk/listings/extrainfo.php?co=GG5836

I will need both the DVD remote, the memory card, and a second controller anyway, so this is a good way of getting them all for a good discount. Opinions on the offer? Anyone know of any better ones?

2. Are SONY likely to be dropping the price any time in the near future?

3. I had my PS1 chipped, and regretted it as it messed it up badly...the "Cheat boxes" that could be plugged in the back were a lot better, as you could play copied games though them also without having to alter your PS. What options are there for the PS2?

Thanx for your help :)

Adam
Thu 27/12/01 at 22:13
Thanx guys :)
Wed 26/12/01 at 22:27
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
1. if special reserve are holding a deal then its probably one of the best prices on the net, as they usually have the best prices anyway and their service is of good quality so u won't get messed around like some smaller companies do, also sr have a good reputation to keep.

2. as for the sony price drop, i doubt that the price will drop any further in the uk as the uk has on of the best prices at the moment in the US the price is still $299. i doubt they will go though the trouble to cut the price that quick again as it is quiet a big hassle to let everyone know, etc. it'll stay fixed for at least anther 6 months or more.

3. as for the mod chip option i think your out of options, at the moment their are no external chips that you just plug in and play. The mod-chip industry is under heavy fire from sony's lawyer anyway, so a decent chip will take forever to come out. at the moment all the chips require you to open your ps2, even the ones that claim to be external. and beside its bad for the games industry as it just ends up producing low quality games if every one is using chips and pirate copies. So just buy originals even if it means fewer games. after all quality is better than quantity.
Wed 26/12/01 at 22:04
Regular
> Ok, so i am thinking of buying a PS2 with the money i got for christmas...

Excellent choice! A lot of people will probably do the same.

>i have a few questions...
>1. The best deal i can see about is
> http://special.reserve.co.uk/listings/extrainfo.php?co=GG5836

Most of the best deals are on the internet at places such as this. Special Reserve staff should stop reading here as I don`t want to sound like I`m sucking up... They are reliable, sensibly priced and always produce top quality stuff.

>I will need both the DVD remote,

There is a free one with the offers at SR, but try and get the official one as this has more functions and also helps lip-sync problems where the sound and lips of the actors become offset.

>the memory card,

Essential!

>and a second controller anyway

Again, make sure its official as many of the third party offers are unreliable. I`ve had many faulty peripherals from third party publishers.

>2. Are SONY likely to be dropping the price
> any time in the near future?

I`m guessing the price could go down a further £30 roughly upon the release of GC and X-Box in Spring/Summer. The competition will make each console developer push their prices as low as they can manage.

>3. I had my PS1 chipped, and regretted it as it
> messed it up badly...

Chipping is usually not a succesful move. It invalidates the warranty, and can cause more problems with the console. There is a region X for PS2 that allows you to play all region DVDs. As for the games, the only solutions are chipping and import PS2s at the moment. The safest solution is to buy the UK PAL version and just live with the delays. Occasionally (MGS2) you might find the British version has some extra features that are worth the wait.

the "Cheat boxes" that could be plugged in the
> back were a lot better, as you could play copied games though them also without having to alter your PS.

Other than the region X I haven`t heard about any modification boxes, and doubt they`ll be around any time soon.

>What options are there for the PS2?

If you mean stuff like HDD and Internet... at the moment, not good, but next year, the PS2 will expand beyond its current horizons.

For now, its the best games console in Britain. It will face competition from Microsoft and Nintendo... but should handle it. It will be online. It will live for a long time.

Its a good purchase. Enjoy.
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:42
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I suppose i'll tell ya then!

There was a big brand called neo technology producing mod chips for the PS2. The latest one was the NEO4 chip, which worked perfectly (or so I have been told) but required something like 40 wires to put into your PS2. They were working on NEO4.5 which would be about 12 wires. These chips would allow you to play multiregion DVDs Import PS1 and PS2 games, and of coarse pirated PS1 and PS2 games without a boot CD.

Unfortunetely for you, this company and many other mod chip companies have been recently shut down by sony. So there aren't many options now (I can't think of any!)

This is the old website for NEO. As you can see they bo longer sell Mod Chips.

http://playstationmods.com
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:32
1. Thankyou :)
2. Thankyou :)
3. I know, i know! I just want to keep my options open...so does anyone know about the options 4 the PS2?
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:32
Regular
"¬_¬"
I would suggest that you go to shops, because many do deals which give you money off games which can, in the long run, save a great deal of money. I suggest shopping around, but the SR deals are very good aswell.
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:28
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
1. Thats one of the best deals.
2. I don't think they will in the near future
3. DON'T PLAY PIRATED GAMES!
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:25
Ok, so i am thinking of buying a PS2 with the money i got for christmas...i have a few questions...

1. The best deal i can see about is http://special.reserve.co.uk/listings/extrainfo.php?co=GG5836

I will need both the DVD remote, the memory card, and a second controller anyway, so this is a good way of getting them all for a good discount. Opinions on the offer? Anyone know of any better ones?

2. Are SONY likely to be dropping the price any time in the near future?

3. I had my PS1 chipped, and regretted it as it messed it up badly...the "Cheat boxes" that could be plugged in the back were a lot better, as you could play copied games though them also without having to alter your PS. What options are there for the PS2?

Thanx for your help :)

Adam

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.