GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jak and Daxter: Resi's verdict"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/12/01 at 20:04
Regular
A 3D platformer on a Sony machine?? nah that’s gotta be a typo. Nope Jak and Daxter is the first game to appear on the PS2 from Naughty Dog and it’s fantastic. The environments are gorgeous filed with the attention to detail that developers never bother with these days- Butterflies, Waterfalls, ripples, stars and it’s lovely. You can jump, crawl, roll, swim and basically go anywhere you please, Also various vehicles around the place will help you out for long distance. The beauty of this game is it all flows in real time, no loading times, no need to save/load your game from the menu and it works brilliantly. The PS2 can move data around at lightning speed- faster than both gamecube and xbox which makes this thing easily possible, lets hope others follow in it’s footsteps *cough* red faction.

PSW described this game as “pure and simple fun” and Naughty Dog have gone far out of their way to make sure this game entertains throughout, All the irritating bits from your usual platformer have been taken out making this one enjoyable, laid back, fulfilling title with no interruptions. It still lacks a certain spark that the PS2 should have delivered but Naughty Dog have done everything they can to this game and it’s a classic. Daxter is a funny little critter but I expected a little more on the comedy end, I mean Crash made me laugh without saying a word with his funny facial expressions, especially when legging it from the boulders, hehe. Seriously though it’s nice to see a game like this on the PS2 and it really is superb, better take notes Nintendo ;-)
Sat 29/12/01 at 09:22
Regular
"  "
Hello there :) I am the superior Jak and Daxter Player. I completed it once in 11 hours (All the stuff) and the second time just over nines hours. I answer ur questions.

First RgaManJacks

Questions

1)The crystals r.....ones near a dark ego pool...jump over spider web bouncy things to get there....there is one at the bottom of the water before the light crystal dash....there is another one in water...to get there, there is a ledge on the left hand side of the main cavern. get up there and there is a cave....follow it and u c more water and big black crystal! The other one is at the top of all tose ledges on the right hand side of the main cavern. Maybe this helps...maybe it doesn't....i hope the first option.

2) Once u get 100% u c another ending.....the white light u see hits Jak and from now on he is invincible(pointless coz u probably won't play again)u still don't c what is in the door though :(

Now Triple H

1) To get this cell.....when u get to the middle section (the bit where u jump the big gap and land in a big opening) u should c some yellow eco. Once u got that, on ur left u will c some rocks. shoot them and they crumble....now follow the new cave and u see the powercell.

I must now return to my shrine...any questions then u should summon me....i am pleased to help. :)
Fri 28/12/01 at 18:47
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Right I need someone to help me. I have got most of the power cells on the levels I have done so far but I am stuck on one in the bit right after you defeat that Lava Boss...

You know when you have to race the 3 flying elephant things...you get one power cell for beating them to the finish, one for collecting the 7 flies and there is another one. Now I can see it on the ledge in the cave (you can see it if you go backwards from the finish) but I have no bloody idea how to get the thing....I have noticed a dodgy looking boulder near the entrance to the cave but I cant seem to move it.

So any ideas on how to get the thing???
Fri 28/12/01 at 16:44
Regular
"Maybe........."
there are two of the dark eco crystals in two bits of water, can't remember where exactly but i think they are down a passage somewhere, also there is one on a ledge near 3 spider webs (the springy ones) and i can't remember where the other one is.

hope that helps :)
Thu 27/12/01 at 17:32
I have 100 out of the 101 power cells but I can't get the las**t one from the Spider's Cave. I can't find all the Dark Eco Crys**tals to shoot. Is one of them "well hidden" or am I jus**t being sh*t?

Also, is it actually worth finding it and collecting all the extra eggs as I have only got 98% finished and I was a little disappointed with the ending I have seen. There mus**t be something more than the 98% ending???
Thu 27/12/01 at 13:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I should bloody well hope so, that's the whole point!

Let me explain:

50hz PAL has 625 lines horizontally, yet it runs at 50 frames per second.

60hz NTSC has only 525 lines horizontally, yet it runs at 60 frames per second.

This is where the trade-off comes, With PAL, you get a superior picture definition, yet it runs at 50 fps. NTSC on the other hand, as a lower definition but it tuns at a higher 60 fps. You have to decide whether you want higher frame rate or higher quality.

Now, in your case, it's a bit different. You have a 100hz telly so there wouldn't be much difference fps-wise. However, you CAN notice the picture definition. Therefore, I'd go with the PAL 50hz if I were you.
Thu 27/12/01 at 13:33
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
adrian wrote:
> I cant believe no one has commented on the 60Hz option in the game yet. Its
> about time we had a game that ran at 60Hz and was completely fullscreen.

I have recently got a new 100hz Sony TV and this is the first game that I have tried the 60hz option with. I was expecting the picture to be better. IMO with my setup 50hz give's a sharper image. So I was a bit disappointed. Am I right to assume that the picture should have been better. Im only using the supplied cable though. Would this have anything to do with my problem?
Thu 27/12/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sigh... When I can be bothered to walk all the way upstairs I'll give you a list.
Thu 27/12/01 at 12:11
Regular
"Back For Good"
Woohoo 91% complete, almost there ;-)
Thu 27/12/01 at 09:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well for me this is the first game to have 60Hz. I have 17 PS2 games and only 1 is 60Hz. I thought DOA2 was 60Hz but I havent got that, I have
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer 5
Timesplitters
Z.O.E
Shadow Of Memories
Starwars Starfighter
F1 2001(Studio Liverpool version)
Extermination
Red Faction
Onimushua
GT3
GTA3
Silent Hill 2
Tony Hawks 3
Devil May Cry
Jak And Daxter

The DC had tons of 60Hz games probably about 2, 3rd's of my DC colletion. I have 29 games.
Thu 27/12/01 at 01:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Maybe. I'll judge the calibur of conversation here. I did hang around Prime for two days yesterday but it was really depressing. I doubt I'll ever return there, except for GAD attempts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.