GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think my PS2 is dying!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:06
Regular
When I got Vice City I played it none stop for a long time. Then the PS2 started to take ages to load the actual disc and it would stay at the browser/clock selection screen fing. Now its gotten so bad that sometimes when I put in a game it says "disc reading error"

Is this caused by a lack of dust, do I need to clean the lens or what else can I do?
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:54
I am the only sad person who read the manual and followed the instructions to vacuum the vents at the back evry so often to stop the build up of dust...

*silence...*

Must be, well at least the soothing melodies and herbal remedies are working for my broken control pad!
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:43
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Give it a warm bath.

a good once over with the head and shoulders and a little play time with the rubber ducky? Yes, its happening with other games. Gonna go look around for a lens cleaner and see if that works. It hasnt been so bad over that weekend there but its very worrying. :(
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:23
"period drama"
Give it a warm bath.
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:21
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Is this just happening with Vice City? Or is it happening with other games?

If it's just Vice City then it's most likely just the disc, but if it's happening with others, it may be the laser. I think you can buy laser cleaning discs, but I don't know where from. Or it may just be dust, look at all the little vents, make sure the fans aren't being blocked and just give the console a little look over, see if anything looks odd.

Listen to it as well, does it make any unusual sounds?

But there are other forum members that will know more about this than me.
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:21
Regular
sorry, didnt mean to say... wait, type 'lack of dust'. thanks for your help.
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:09
Regular
It's not a lack of dust but too much. I read something some where that said it happens to most PS2's when left on for too long. Dunno how to fix it tho
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:06
Regular
When I got Vice City I played it none stop for a long time. Then the PS2 started to take ages to load the actual disc and it would stay at the browser/clock selection screen fing. Now its gotten so bad that sometimes when I put in a game it says "disc reading error"

Is this caused by a lack of dust, do I need to clean the lens or what else can I do?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.