GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer games and life"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/03 at 14:45
Regular
Some people will say that, in no way do they become effected by the games they play and they only play for a bit of fun. But to those people I say this; would you spend hours on chat forums like these if you took no interest in games? When you think about it, gaming affects your whole lifestyle as well. Can you imagine what kind of person you would be if you did not spend a bit of time playing games. You would never go on this site, and that alone leaves hours of free social time. You would not spend money on games and other computer related items. Although, indeed if you were not into games then you would be into something that probably would cost money. That money could fund your bands gig and imprint your fame as the best rock band in the world. It could go towards a winning lottery ticket. It could fuel the research needed to find a cure for a deadly desease. These are all the different lives we might be living if computer games were not so addictive and enjoyable.
On the otherside of the coin, you might already be in a world famous rock band or indeed have a luxurious lifestyle. You probably are already happy and lead a pleasent and enjoyable life and dont let things like games have a real serious affect on your life. Or do you?

We are guinea pigs to say the least. Games could have a desireable/non-desirable affect over a long perioud of time. With games becoming more intense and emotional, and technology becoming a leading light in a games significance, do the games we play have a internal affect? Our sub-conscious may look at games differently and may take a violent or insane approach as we age.
When you think about it, what comes after consoles and P.Cs? VR helmets and strange new technologys? Will the future of gaming take form in the shape like the movie Tron? Were we actually play the game ourselves physically? Or will it move into the direction of something more sinister like the Lawnmower man? Will modern technology have a violent, long term affect on our perspective on life? Probably not.

Will you stop playing games when you get a bit older? I dont think we will. I think computer games have a grip on us, but in a not so obvious way. If you are in the generation when the Nintendo was around when you were quite young, and the Playstation 1 came out when you were in your teens then I believe it will be harder to stop playing games. if you think carefully, its like the gaming world has grown up with you. Playing cheerful Mario and Sonic at an early age and now things like swearing and Racism in a game like the getaway as we are older. I am not putting the Getaway down, no way. I'm just saying the adult themes being introduced to the gamers who are conveniently starting to come of age. Computer games corporations carefully constructing an army of supergamers? I doubt it.

Maybe a stupid philosophy to have towards gaming, the above probably is. I'm just trying to say (without offending anyone or anything)
There are a lot more things to life than gaming and there is a lot more things to gaming than life.
Thu 13/03/03 at 19:12
wam_man_2 wrote:
> I think that message is long

I think you should go away and chang your name, and not coppy Wam_man name...
And it is not too long, you are just too lazy to read it...
Thu 13/03/03 at 19:04
Regular
"pie"
I think that message is long
Thu 13/03/03 at 12:49
Regular
Pliskin wrote:
> Do you ever get the feeling that you are being watched by people over
> the world on T.V, doing whatever you do and living your life and the
> world is just a whole setup all for you and to study what we think and
> do.

sounds like dillusions of grandeur to me. Believe me, no-ones life has that much meaning to the human race. Face it, you're the same as the rest of us.

Films are full of these sort of concepts, and its nice to embrace the idea while you're watching them. The truman show, the matrix, terminator 2 etc all play on the idea of a normal joe finding out he is the key to the universe. Its just fantasy, but a pleasant one. Thinking its true is just wishful thinking though.
Wed 12/03/03 at 21:38
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Robin wrote:
> Gaming is like a whole new life, with it we think that we cannot live
> without it, but without it, we probably wouldnt even think about it...

Philosophy of the day.
Wed 12/03/03 at 21:36
Regular
" victim of regulars"
Memorandum, you are so wrong, it was a long message face it i'm right you're wrong, Finished.
Wed 12/03/03 at 21:04
Regular
"Me+Live= Sore Fists"
Do you ever get the feeling that you are being watched by people over the world on T.V, doing whatever you do and living your life and the world is just a whole setup all for you and to study what we think and do.
So everyone in the whole world is just a fake.
Like the Truman Show. I guess you lot dont have a clue what im talking about, but some may. Im sorry if you get freaked out and start thinking that, but it could be true.
Just like people say when a tree falls and no one is there to here it fall, how do you it makes a sound, because no one can hear it.
Wed 12/03/03 at 20:36
Gaming is like a whole new life, with it we think that we cannot live without it, but without it, we probably wouldnt even think about it...
Wed 12/03/03 at 20:29
Regular
gaming - is it th key to the universe? I think not. there is a world outside that door, my friend
Wed 12/03/03 at 20:22
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
CDGT wrote:
> Wow that was one long message.

No it wasn't.
Wed 12/03/03 at 20:17
Regular
" victim of regulars"
Wow that was one long message. I got bored after the first two paragraphs and it wasn't the most exciting message, sorry mate. I replied because I know what its like to have no one reply to your post. What I did read though I agreed with. If you shortened it I'm sure other people would reply because I definately agree with you. Hope you don't think I was too critical of you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.