GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unite all lovers of RED FACTION..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/03 at 21:24
Regular
For all of those that HAVENT heard of red faction and its' geo-mod technology, first - shame on you, and second - heres what Red Faction is all about...

Single Player isn't the beauty of RF, but is worth playing for a bit of merc-blasting or baddie-beating action. The Storyline doesnt interfere too much with the game, but when there are cut-scenes they are acted out real-time by the characters, in the actual 3D world.

GEO-MOD technology is one of the more impressive but early-staged technologies of Red Faction. with geo-mod, each explosive device - be it grenades up to the mighty fusion rocket launcher and the sticky remote charge, each will take a large chunk of land out of the surface hit - unless it is designated as 'solid' (doors and restricted passages. its not just specific targets either. any piece of land can be blasted to make tunnels (very popular in some multiplayer servers) and even create alternative routes to the enemy flag or base. in DM geo-mod is widely used to reveal secret passages and create access to powerups and heavy weapons.

Multiplayer online isn't very advanced (restricting play to DM, teamDM and CTF) but 56k owners can use it easily without the lag that comes with some games like RTCW and Mohaa. i myself is 56k owner and i am in a clan that is currently roaming the RF servers this very moment.

A persistent problem in Red Faction is Modders that come in and cheat like hell. Fortunately the fight for ground against modders is favoring the honest, non-cheaters of the RF community. Many patches and banning aids have been made available by programmers to make life mod-free online. of course there ARE mods out there like the hive mod - which are made for fair playing over mod-dedicated servers for those who want a switch of style.

im sure there are SOME Red Faction fans out there, so come on in and discuss stuff related to Red Faction, or indeed otherwise.....
Wed 12/03/03 at 18:49
Regular
paperjpn wrote:
> Not havin' much luck unitin' 'em, are ya?

wasnt even expecting so much as a reply.........
Wed 12/03/03 at 13:33
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Whoo-hooo, now I can tell you how bad the game really is. I had it on my PS2, and the only difference between the console version and the PC version is the better multiplayer support on the computer.

the game sucks in every conceivable way, from the graphics to the game-play, perhaps it was just me expecting something truly remarkable as the reviewers where making it out to be that caused the disappointment, or maybe it was because the game just plain out stinks of shoddy development.

The story unoriginal and un-engaging, the graphics are bland and uninspired, the level design equally so with an endless array of dull looking red canyons to traverse. Geo-mod is not only underused, it's also over hyped it's more of a gimmick than an actual important part of the overall game and that's one of it's biggest flaws since the developers relied heavily on the geo-mod engine to sell. It has vehicles sure, but there either misplaced or underused, I mean you get to a point where you can drive one of those underground drillers, yet you don't actually have to use it for anything other than driving up a bit of road, with no actual need to use the big drill on the front. And to top it all of the A.I. in short was bloody useless.

While most FPS I own I can enjoy because they provide me with a fun, and rewarding experience, Red Faction however didn't. with all the games I've I can always pick out a part which really stands out, a part that defines the game on the whole. In Red faction I was constantly waiting for the defining moment, the moment that would make the game shine, but it never appeared.

It's toss that should never have seen the light of day, the sequels all right though.
Wed 12/03/03 at 13:28
Regular
"Despondent"
Not havin' much luck unitin' 'em, are ya?
Tue 11/03/03 at 21:24
Regular
For all of those that HAVENT heard of red faction and its' geo-mod technology, first - shame on you, and second - heres what Red Faction is all about...

Single Player isn't the beauty of RF, but is worth playing for a bit of merc-blasting or baddie-beating action. The Storyline doesnt interfere too much with the game, but when there are cut-scenes they are acted out real-time by the characters, in the actual 3D world.

GEO-MOD technology is one of the more impressive but early-staged technologies of Red Faction. with geo-mod, each explosive device - be it grenades up to the mighty fusion rocket launcher and the sticky remote charge, each will take a large chunk of land out of the surface hit - unless it is designated as 'solid' (doors and restricted passages. its not just specific targets either. any piece of land can be blasted to make tunnels (very popular in some multiplayer servers) and even create alternative routes to the enemy flag or base. in DM geo-mod is widely used to reveal secret passages and create access to powerups and heavy weapons.

Multiplayer online isn't very advanced (restricting play to DM, teamDM and CTF) but 56k owners can use it easily without the lag that comes with some games like RTCW and Mohaa. i myself is 56k owner and i am in a clan that is currently roaming the RF servers this very moment.

A persistent problem in Red Faction is Modders that come in and cheat like hell. Fortunately the fight for ground against modders is favoring the honest, non-cheaters of the RF community. Many patches and banning aids have been made available by programmers to make life mod-free online. of course there ARE mods out there like the hive mod - which are made for fair playing over mod-dedicated servers for those who want a switch of style.

im sure there are SOME Red Faction fans out there, so come on in and discuss stuff related to Red Faction, or indeed otherwise.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.