GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mark Venus for England???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/12/01 at 12:23
Regular
To be honest, England still haven't quite got that left-sided position sorted out yet. And i'm mainly looking at the left back position. Yes, Ashley Cole seems to have his place their, or Chris Powell, but neither of these players are experienced enough at international level. With a few more years on the international scene, they could become world-class for England (if Powell hasn't retired).

They haven't even featured in a World Cup or European Championships squad, and most of their internationals have been frendlies, where both sides are 'testing new players instead of going for a full stength side, whcih means that the left-backs aren't really getting the feel of what it's like to have to defend against a top-class attack.

Looking at England and many top European clubs, the 2 full-backs have to be able to get forward to support the attack, and also get back quick enough to defend the counter-attacks. We know that these 2 can do this, but they have only done this against a small variety of teams. To be succesfull, they also need more experience against the bigger international and club sides. Cole has played in Europe for Arsenal, which will help him, but Powell at Charlton hasn't. And he may not for a while. So in order for Chrris Powell to improve his chances, he may have to consider moving elsewhere, to get the recognition at left-back.

Graeme Le Saux and Phil Neville are 2 other possibillities, as they have both appeared in the squad lists for England in international competitions. They also have played in top European competitions, against top teams, for their clubs, which has helped them to be where they are today. Le Saux is good at going forwards for Chelsea, but requires Babayaro to move back and cover the defence, from his midfield position. This works very well, and is something England and all teams should consider. Phil Neville showed how good he is attacking yesterday, but he does prefer the right-hand side. His left foot has also been critisised, especially after the penalty incident that sent England out of Euro 2000.

So what England need at left-back is someone who can get back and forwards efficiently and easily, and be comfortable playing there, while also doing a good job there, using their experience of top attacking teams. I think that Mark Venus of Ipswich is a good candidate to consider.

He is a left-back and a left-sided player for 'the tractor boys'. This season, he has played in the UEFA Cup for Ipswich against top teams like Inter Milan, and he's also been playing well in the league. Even if Ipswich have been knocked out Europe and are struggling in the league, he's still been playing well. One thing i've noticed about him is how well he can supply a cross, from dead-balls and live ones! They are BRILLIANT, aimed to PERFECTION, and he's also supplied the ammo for a majority of Ipswich's goals this season. From playing against a majority of top matches he must be picking up a lot on how the tougher oppositions attack. This would help him become a top left-back for Engalnd.

He may be 30+ but the England team has shown that it's age doesn't matter. Players like Sherringham and Seaman have been highly-important for England to reach the World Cup next year! Without their experience (which also helped captain Beckham) the England team may not have even come close to qualifying, and may have even finnished bottom of the group!! I think that a good set-piece taker, like Venus, who can get both forwards and back easily, with growing European experience, is just what Engalnd need. A player like Venus could also help Engalnd's potential left-wingers, by suporting them in the attacks.

Do you think Venus is good enough for England?? If not, then who should be England's no.3, considering what is required???
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:23
Regular
"Long time no see!"
To be honest, England still haven't quite got that left-sided position sorted out yet. And i'm mainly looking at the left back position. Yes, Ashley Cole seems to have his place their, or Chris Powell, but neither of these players are experienced enough at international level. With a few more years on the international scene, they could become world-class for England (if Powell hasn't retired).

They haven't even featured in a World Cup or European Championships squad, and most of their internationals have been frendlies, where both sides are 'testing new players instead of going for a full stength side, whcih means that the left-backs aren't really getting the feel of what it's like to have to defend against a top-class attack.

Looking at England and many top European clubs, the 2 full-backs have to be able to get forward to support the attack, and also get back quick enough to defend the counter-attacks. We know that these 2 can do this, but they have only done this against a small variety of teams. To be succesfull, they also need more experience against the bigger international and club sides. Cole has played in Europe for Arsenal, which will help him, but Powell at Charlton hasn't. And he may not for a while. So in order for Chrris Powell to improve his chances, he may have to consider moving elsewhere, to get the recognition at left-back.

Graeme Le Saux and Phil Neville are 2 other possibillities, as they have both appeared in the squad lists for England in international competitions. They also have played in top European competitions, against top teams, for their clubs, which has helped them to be where they are today. Le Saux is good at going forwards for Chelsea, but requires Babayaro to move back and cover the defence, from his midfield position. This works very well, and is something England and all teams should consider. Phil Neville showed how good he is attacking yesterday, but he does prefer the right-hand side. His left foot has also been critisised, especially after the penalty incident that sent England out of Euro 2000.

So what England need at left-back is someone who can get back and forwards efficiently and easily, and be comfortable playing there, while also doing a good job there, using their experience of top attacking teams. I think that Mark Venus of Ipswich is a good candidate to consider.

He is a left-back and a left-sided player for 'the tractor boys'. This season, he has played in the UEFA Cup for Ipswich against top teams like Inter Milan, and he's also been playing well in the league. Even if Ipswich have been knocked out Europe and are struggling in the league, he's still been playing well. One thing i've noticed about him is how well he can supply a cross, from dead-balls and live ones! They are BRILLIANT, aimed to PERFECTION, and he's also supplied the ammo for a majority of Ipswich's goals this season. From playing against a majority of top matches he must be picking up a lot on how the tougher oppositions attack. This would help him become a top left-back for Engalnd.

He may be 30+ but the England team has shown that it's age doesn't matter. Players like Sherringham and Seaman have been highly-important for England to reach the World Cup next year! Without their experience (which also helped captain Beckham) the England team may not have even come close to qualifying, and may have even finnished bottom of the group!! I think that a good set-piece taker, like Venus, who can get both forwards and back easily, with growing European experience, is just what Engalnd need. A player like Venus could also help Engalnd's potential left-wingers, by suporting them in the attacks.

Do you think Venus is good enough for England?? If not, then who should be England's no.3, considering what is required???
Sun 23/12/01 at 13:34
Regular
Mark Venus i think would be good there, but i think Ashley Cole is doing a good job there.

You said that they haven't got a experienced left back and haven't played in massive games, well neither has Mark Venus, he has never played for England and has no experience at international level.

I think Ashley Cole is good enough at left back for England. Phil Neville is a solution too after playing excellant in recent Man Utd games.
Mon 24/12/01 at 12:29
Regular
"Long time no see!"
BB Scotty wrote:
You said that they haven't got a experienced left back and haven't
> played in massive games, well neither has Mark Venus, he has never played for
> England and has no experience at international level.

I think Ashley Cole is
> good enough at left back for England. Phil Neville is a solution too after
> playing excellant in recent Man Utd games.

Mark Venus has played in the UEFA Cup agaist Inter, but no, he doesn't have any international experience. So I think that Sven should consider him for the next few friendly matches. England call-ups could help his enthusiasm, helping Ipswich to improve!

Phil Neville has had his left-foot critisised , despite the wonder-goal on Saturday, but he does play better at right back, where he's played before for Sven. It also showed in Euro 2000 that having both Neville brothers as full-backs didn't work, as they were both later blamed for England's shock exit! Mainly Phil, cuz of the penalty.
Tue 01/01/02 at 15:09
Regular
"Better Than You"
Mark Venus isn't good enough to be in the England squad. I think Ashly Cole, Sol Cambell, Martin Keown, and Gary Neville are a good enough devinse for the moment. Actually the whole team is good enough for the moment!
Tue 01/01/02 at 17:09
Regular
"es argh"
If only Giggs stuck with England as a child, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.