GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dixons group stores set to drop GameCube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 09:22
Regular
This is cut and paste from an industry news email...

-------------

Dixons group stores set to drop GameCube

Massive blow for Nintendo, but is this a short-sighted move by Dixons?

UK newspaper The Mirror is reporting that the Dixons chain - whose stores include PC World and Currys - is planning to clear out its GameCube stocks and will be discontinuing support for the format.

A spokesman for the retail chain is quoted in the Mirror article as saying that "GameCube hasn't sold well, so for now we're concentrating on just Xbox and PS2. It's purely about shelf space." The Cube console bundle has been slashed to £99 to begin the clearance of stock.

The move seems poorly timed on Dixons' part, with Nintendo just about to roll out some of the first party software which many believe will make or break the long-term success of the console - namely Metroid Prime, which arrives on March 28th, and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, which arrives in May.

The Dixons spokesperson did not rule out a return to stocking GameCube in future, however, commenting that "once we've cleared stock we'll review our next steps".

Although Nintendo is keen to play down the potential damage to the console from this decision, it's difficult to see this as anything other than a massive blow to the company. Dixons group stores account for a significant number of console hardware sales, and a very public decision to clear GameCube stocks could cause a knock-on effect with other retailers as well.

Commentators have strongly criticised Nintendo for its European strategy - or lack of same - in the past few months, after the company squandered a strong start in this territory with by far the weakest Christmas of all three major platforms. In the absence of decent software support, European consumers are seemingly voting with their wallets, and the performance of the Cube in Europe is by far its weakest showing out of the three major territories.

It remains to be seen whether the GameCube can be rescued by the late arrival of key titles such as Metroid Prime and Resident Evil Zero, which were released in the USA before Christmas; and perhaps more importantly, whether Nintendo takes this serious snub from a major retailer as a sign that it must pull its socks up in this territory.
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:45
"For the horde!!!!"
Memorandum wrote:
> Heh. Fanboys!

more like punks
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:38
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Heh. Fanboys!
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:07
"period drama"
Oh, grow up the lot of you.
No-one cares.

And none of ou are going to win this argument because you're all too narrow-minded to take in anyone elses opinion.
Just drop the whole thing, it's getting overly tedious.

Tut tut tut.
Kids, who'd have 'em?
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:04
Regular
Argh you knew what he meant ;)
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:51
well excuse me mr. Perfect...
i didn't realize that you were so sophisticated and intelligent, i will try to spell every thing correctly just for you...
*very sad*
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:44
Regular
"Festivus!"
Robin wrote:
> Cant argue with that, a propper games console only playes games, were
> as the xbox and ps2 play DVD's and music, there for, not a propper
> 100%games console...
> well pointed out...

Find the proper spelling of 'propper' and maybe I shall reply properly.
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:42
Dringo wrote:
> Robin wrote:
> Good, they need to, it is not exactly the best console to buy,
> people
> will be buying xbox or ps2, real consoles, not just an extra big
> game
> boy...
>
> I wouldn't normally comment on such a sad err comment I just thought
> I'd point out that the Gamecube is in fact the only true games
> console.

Cant argue with that, a propper games console only playes games, were as the xbox and ps2 play DVD's and music, there for, not a propper 100%games console...
well pointed out...
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:34
Regular
Robin wrote:
> Good, they need to, it is not exactly the best console to buy, people
> will be buying xbox or ps2, real consoles, not just an extra big game
> boy...

YOu mean my Gamecube is FAKE!! It's not real! I've been playing games on something which isn't real!!

*Passes hand through fake hologram of Gamecube*

OH YEAH!!
That's me only realising that my Gamecube isn't a REAL console. And I've had it for 7 months! It took you seconds to point it out.

Thu 13/03/03 at 20:26
Regular
Robin wrote:
> boy...

I wouldn't normally comment on such a sad err comment I just thought I'd point out that the Gamecube is in fact the only true games console.
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:19
Regular
"Festivus!"
Robin wrote:
> boy...

If that's your opinion, I accept it, but i doubt you have much evidence to back it up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.