GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hilarious..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 21:49
Regular
I couldn't hold in my laughter today when I was reading topics on these forums in which people said things like "Xbox has no games" and "Can you imagine using that pad".

My mind boggles as to how a group of so-called enlightened gamers can go about being so biased against a console... how???

Let's look at it objectively. The xbox does have a great set of launch games.... some mags and sites have said that it has the BEST set of launch games for any console. I can't complain about this either- how many console have been released with a game as original as Halo, a racer that really is pushing the boundries, and a superb beat 'em up?

Ok, so I've begun to rant about the xbox... but the point I'm getting to is that it is an extremely well supported console, with excellent launch games and plenty more games to follow. For people to make a joke out of the size of the controller (which is actually very comfortable), just shows their narrow-minded biased attitudes.

One thing that I think anyone with half a brain can see is that xbox isn't bad, it does have great games, and it shouldn't be shunned.

Oh yer.... but it's made by Bill Gates... a man so evil that he's leaving all but $3 million of his multi million dollar fortune to charities (that 3 million is going to his kids).

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 19:10
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
oh, well okay then they have had more expeience than Sony... but my statement about the games still stands. A strong launch m,aybe, but certainly not everyones cup of tea.
Thu 27/12/01 at 18:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, MS have had far more history in console controller design than Sony- Sony have had 2 controllers, whereas MS have their own range which has seen dozens.

Add to that, the team that actually designed the Xbox are not MS employees! They're people who have been in the industry for years (J Allard has been they for decades), and have as much experience in console design as any manufacturer.

So I think it's safe to say that the controller will be fine... after all, all the next gen controllers are sooooo similar anyway!

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'm by no means saying Halo is the only one that IMPRESSES me... I said it is the only one that APPEALS to me, mainly because I have seen movies and looks like a very good game, but other launch titles just don't because I am not really fans of the genre. I like racers, but prefer cartoon kart games or futuristic racers (ie. F-Zero) to realistic stuff, and am not really a big beat em up fan (although I like the occasional punch up on a console).

Therefore Halo is the only one out there that appeals to me, although yes, I do think the Xbox has a strong launch, but it doesn't mean it is the right launch for everyone.

And the controller, I mean I don't think MS would TRY to launch with a bad controller, but they don't have as much experience as the others at making controllers (although they have probably made some Joysticks in the past) so they may make a mistake... anyway, I was just saying IF it is bad. I cannot say one way or the other as I haven't tried one, and probab;y won't for some time. And yes, you could get a third party control, but the MS one is the one that comes in the box, so you have to have one of those, and third parties generally base thier controlles around the official one, so a bad design by MS could mean bad third party ones too. But again, I must emphasize I cannot say one way or the other at this time, and am just going on rumours I have heard, (and I have heard rumours to both extremes, saying the controllers hurt after five mins play, and others that they are very good, and easily compete with other consoles sontrollers) so I am just giving the IFs and not facts here.

That's what I think, anyway...
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:52
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, Sibs, I think people who are saying the Xbox controller is uncomfortable are just in bed with their PS2s, and have heard the controller is "big" and hence must be rubbish...

Do you think MS would seriously launch with a poor controller- after all, they have more to prove than anyone else!

Even if you don't like the controller, you can get a THIRD party one!

Oh, and how can you say that Halo is the ONLY game that impesses you! But granted, if the GC games are the ones you're after, then get a GC... it'd be stupid for me to try to make informed gamers get the xbox because I think it's great!

Sonic
Wed 26/12/01 at 17:14
Whats wrong with bouncing boobs Grix?

Anyway I'm going to get both consoles Xbox and Gamecube
Why? Shenmue 3, Jet set radio 2, Crazy taxi 3, Zelda, Pikmin?, smash bros and monkey ball
Wed 26/12/01 at 14:25
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
now please don't yell at me but...

I have heard rumours both saying that the Xbox controller is very ncomfortable and hurts the hands and rumours to the contrary saying it is actually comfortable. Now, I can't judge, I've never held let alone used one, but IF (notice the capitals for emphasis) the control is uncomfortable, it'll take a lot away from the gameplay experience despite the good games.

Anyway... the games do look good, but the only one that appeals to me is Halo, and that is out on PC. However GameCube has many titles that appeal to me that won't appear anywhere else which is why my decision is GameCube.
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Or†ega wrote:
> Only bought DOA2 this week. Firs beat em up i've bought for my PS2. Saw it for
> £19 and thought might as well get it.

I think is not too bad. Not
> really a large selectiopn of beat em ups on the PS2 at the moment though...Got
> Tekken 4, Virtua fighter 4 and Soul calibure 2 to come though :D

It just depends on your style... I love beat em ups, so I've just got to own DOA, tekken and Powerstone (I had to sell this with my DC :( - 3 totally different styles of beat em ups.

Sonic
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:52
Regular
Only bought DOA2 this week. Firs beat em up i've bought for my PS2. Saw it for £19 and thought might as well get it.

I think is not too bad. Not really a large selectiopn of beat em ups on the PS2 at the moment though...Got Tekken 4, Virtua fighter 4 and Soul calibure 2 to come though :D
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh, and Grix, DOA2 was a brilliant game...

The problem was that if you couldn't get into that fighting style then you'd probably hate it! I loved the originality of the "grab in the middle of moves" button...

Sonic
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex wrote:
Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are more original than any
> of the Xbox games. The only problem with them is that they're a bit short.
And
> if you want bigger games then Rogue Leader and Dinosaur Planet should be more
> than enough.

How can you say they are more original than ANYTHING the xbox has to offer? Now that is just plain foolishness. As for games bigger than rogue leader and dino planet, check out Halo and Munche's oddysey... I remember when PS2 ign was running a different story every single day about how great that game would be... and then MS bought the rights to it and suddenly they say "It wasn't such a big thing... we still have XYZ".

What's more, I don't know what the Xbox has in the multiplayer
> department (apart from Halo), but I don't think it has anything to topple Monkey
> Ball and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Well, who knows? I expect some great online multiplayer games, esp seeing as the console has a built in modem. Anyway, I think it's safe to say that there will be some great 4 player games on the console... seeing as it has 4 ports to go! (how could sony not do this!!!)

Besides, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin
> don't so much LOOK impressive so much as PLAY impressive (so the reviews tell
> me...).

How can you say they play better? They're completely different to Halo/xbox games! If you've read a review where the reviewer trie to compare these games then you really should stop reading that mag!

There's no big "epic" title from Mr Miyamoto, but that'll
> probably be because he's messing around with mini-games at the moment. He'll
> snap out soon enough.

Yep.... that's why I'm getting a GC!

sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.