GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final nail in the UMD coffin?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/07 at 08:36
"possibly impossible"
ISO Loader found in new Firmware update

Basically, a piece of code that allows you to play a copy of the UMD disc on your Memory Stick has been found in the firmware update.

So, if this is to be believed and followed to it's logical conclusion, Sony look like they might be set to allow games to be downloaded from the Playstation Store on PS3 and via the online PSP store. It would be a smart move assuming they can sort out copy protection (otherwise the files will be all over the net - as they already are for custom firmware).

It's not anything new, however. Hackers have been using Dark Alex's firmware updates (Currently at 3.50) instead of Sony's to play emulators and download full games from torrent sites to put on their memory sticks. Where Sony's effort would need to differ would be to have a system where the game can only be played on the PSP you downloaded it for.

With the death of UMD movie discs (currently half their price or less from many retailers) it seems only sensible that Sony should focus on the Memory Stick, especially considering the dropping price and expanding capacity (4 gig Memory Stick now around £25-£30 on ebay).
Sat 07/07/07 at 11:54
Regular
I imagine the ISO loader will only activate if the PSP is connected to the PS3... and then the ISO gets loaded off the PS3 in some DRM-style format.
Fri 06/07/07 at 18:22
Regular
In all fairness, UMD is very good for games but yes it does suck for films.
Fri 06/07/07 at 11:48
"possibly impossible"
Memory Stick is another memory card, like SD or Compact Flash cards. It's actually a successful format thanks to pretty much all new Sony equipment using it and other manufacturers picking it up too.
Fri 06/07/07 at 11:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'll be honest, I had to think really hard for a minute or two about what a UMD actually was before I could form a reply, and personally although I think I know what they are, I have no idea really what a Memory Stick does. (Is it like a USB storage device?)

Yours,

Someone who doesn't own a PSP
Fri 06/07/07 at 08:36
"possibly impossible"
ISO Loader found in new Firmware update

Basically, a piece of code that allows you to play a copy of the UMD disc on your Memory Stick has been found in the firmware update.

So, if this is to be believed and followed to it's logical conclusion, Sony look like they might be set to allow games to be downloaded from the Playstation Store on PS3 and via the online PSP store. It would be a smart move assuming they can sort out copy protection (otherwise the files will be all over the net - as they already are for custom firmware).

It's not anything new, however. Hackers have been using Dark Alex's firmware updates (Currently at 3.50) instead of Sony's to play emulators and download full games from torrent sites to put on their memory sticks. Where Sony's effort would need to differ would be to have a system where the game can only be played on the PSP you downloaded it for.

With the death of UMD movie discs (currently half their price or less from many retailers) it seems only sensible that Sony should focus on the Memory Stick, especially considering the dropping price and expanding capacity (4 gig Memory Stick now around £25-£30 on ebay).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.