GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles Online - Dead Duck?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 16:54
Regular
Do you think that the forthcoming experiemnt with on-line gaming will acyually work. I mean Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all going down this path to some degree or other.

Surely if online gaming was the Holy Grail then the Sega Dreamcast (I mourn its passing) would have survived, it was the first with online capabilities albeit not broadband but 128 bit online capable with Quake III, Starlancer, PSO, etc online.

I think in the long run on-line gaming with have its followers but not to the extent that the PC bragade will have.

You thoughts please.
Fri 14/03/03 at 14:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Only thing with PC online gaming is its full of cheaters and hackers. At least its easier to keep track of console online gaming and cheating can be kept out.

Plus with PC online gaming, your looking at various connection speeds. So you could be using broadband while others ruin things by using a low speed dial up connection.

Overall I think online gaming is better with consoles than PC.
Fri 14/03/03 at 14:12
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
I think the real test for console on-line gaming will be the cost. There is the initial set up cost for bradband (if you don't already have it) and the month fee for it but it seems more than likely there will be a monthly charge for entry to some on-line games. I beleive that there is a monthly fee for Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube.

As the margins between PC and games console narrow what is to stop us all from throwing the console in the bin getting a PC and enjoying on-line gaming to it's fullest. If I am going to go to the expense of getting broadband in etc, i would be as weel getting a PC so that the internet can be fully exploited.

BB
Fri 14/03/03 at 13:33
Regular
Online gaming's a nice idea, but for me it'll never beat having three mates round for a decent multiplayer session on, for example, TimeSplitters 2. I just don't feel you can connect with people over the internet like you can over a four player deathmatch, or LAN setup. There are, however, some real plus points of online (such as MMORPGs), and it's those that most be pushed to their full potential.

I also hope that developers concentrate on offline as well. Games like Deus Ex, Ocarina Of Time and Morrowind are all offline games and are, in a word, amazing. If online gaming overshadows or hinders production of this kind of quality, I'll be sorely disappointed.
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think too many people link the success of online gaming with the DC's demise. What you have to remember is that
1. The DC was practically doomed from the start with everyone waiting for the PS2.
2. Hats off to Sega for trying online gaming, but the connection speed was dire and really didn't support enough players to truly deliver a decent online experience. In the end, you were paying local call rates for an experience you could have offline with 3 friends.
3. For online gaming to take off, it needs support - something the DC just wasn't delivering. Quake 3 was just an online 4 player deathmatch and Phantasy Star Online, although fun, only really made you feel like you was playing a different experience in the lobby area. Otherwise it was another 4 player game.
The other couple of online games aren't even really worth mentioning.

For me, online gaming HAS to be broadband so it can handle more players and deliver something that normal multiplayer can't or rarely can.
An example would be a game like Halo - its at its strongest with a 16 player multiplayer, but how many can get that set up ? With the help of online gaming, an X-Box owner can decide he/she wants to play a 16 player Halo session at say 9:30pm on a Wednesday night (just an example).

Its no good just having 4 player support as most gamers can get this offline with their friends. Its about large scale multiplayers and in my opinion, X-Box Live is the clear winner out of the 3 online services. Not just because its broadband, but the voice communicator is also very important in making you feel like your playing with other people and not just against CPU characters.
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:32
Regular
"BOSE"
BigBob, it's not an experiemnt. do you think Bill Gates would give Xbox Live the green light if only thought it was going to work? he and his team of professionals, game testers etc already tried out Xbox Live to make sure it's gonna go to plan - that was the experiemnt. then after they were 100% positive about it they put the order out to supply the gamers of the UK with starter kits
Thu 13/03/03 at 17:47
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
i think the reason online gaming didnt take off, on the dreamcast did not take off was because, not that many people had a dreamcast and also because there were lots of punks that used to hack into the different servers and ruin the games.

I think its impossible to hack into the next generation server thingys
isnt it?
Thu 13/03/03 at 16:54
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
Do you think that the forthcoming experiemnt with on-line gaming will acyually work. I mean Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all going down this path to some degree or other.

Surely if online gaming was the Holy Grail then the Sega Dreamcast (I mourn its passing) would have survived, it was the first with online capabilities albeit not broadband but 128 bit online capable with Quake III, Starlancer, PSO, etc online.

I think in the long run on-line gaming with have its followers but not to the extent that the PC bragade will have.

You thoughts please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.