GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next-generation = fair gameplay!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 18:45
Regular
It's good to see that all 3 of the next-generation consoles all run their games on CD's. Having games on cartridges not only limited the size of the game, but also the fairness. All you had to do was buy an 'Action Replay' cheat cartridge, slot it in, slot your game ontop, enter the codes and you're cheating away! Without an extra slot you cannot apply cheat cartridges to a next-gen. console, so for the games you play you'll only be able to access the more common cheats (like infinite lives, all guns...).

What's the point in spending £40+ on a potential 'Game of the Year' when you're only gunna cheat your way through most of the levels/missions?? By doing it this way you automatically miss out on the full experiences of the game. You don't feel the challenge, the excitement, and the overall plot of the game, as you 'fly' through the game without taking notice of what's going on!! Just think, what if all your mates have played the same game, and completed it all the way through, in the honest way! How would you feel? What would you do if you all went head-to-head in a multiplayer game, they all saw how poor you were, and became suspicious of how you came to complete this same game, 'un-aided', from start to finnish???

It is ok to cheat under certain circumstances. For example if you're absolutely 100% stuck in one area where you keep dying, and you feel an invincibillity cheat is required for you to advance past this particuler area only. That IS acceptable. Or if you find that almost as soon as you begin a certain mission, you almost instantly run out of ammo, and require an infinite/high number. That is also acceptable, for that certain mission. It wouldn't be 'fair gaming' if you kept these cheats or similar ones, acttive throughout the rest of the game!!

Another example of 'acceptable cheating' is after you've completed the game. You may find it dull and boring, and you want something new, different and exciting to appear on you screen. Then you could access one or more cheats to make the game more interesting, like playing it in DK mode, where all characters have big heads. Very funny to watch, especially in football/other sport games! LOL!!

With the forthcoming set of next-generation consoles, it would be a huge dissapointment to the companies and 'true-gamers' who have both put hours of hard-work into creating, developing and playing the games, all the way to final completion! If they did find out that you'd cheated your way through a game, too easily and quickly, then they'd all look down on you, calling you 'a disgrace to gaming'!!

So if you're out there now thinking "I cheat throughout most of almost all of my games!!" then have shame on youself!! And the next time you play a game, especially a new one, avoid the 'aids of cheats' and work through it th 'true way'! You'll enjoy and understand it a lot more, for a lot longer!!
Thu 03/01/02 at 16:59
i sometimes cheat but not to make the game easy. only cheats like level skip if im really really stuck and want to get the most of the game or unlock extra levels which u cant get without cheating anyway.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:06
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I couldn't agree more about cheating... but then again what do we care? We don't have any need to cheat, so why should we really care if others are too impatient to play through a game properly.

After i've completed a game and am just looking to have fun I use SOME cheats (such as the flying car cheat in GTA3) but i'd never cheat to progress in a game.
Wed 02/01/02 at 22:50
Im sorry im inclined to disagree that its 'ok' to use cheating.

If you cheat its just a sign of how impatient and a poor video games player you truly are.

I think that even 'level guides' are a form of cheating. How are you supposed to learn?... how are you supposed to become a better gamesplayer???

Someone else can do it without help. Why can't you?
Tue 25/12/01 at 21:29
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Well done on another GAD win Solskjaer on another GAD win! :-) Good post anyway.
Mon 24/12/01 at 16:03
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I totally agree with you about cheating on games. What's the point of paying money for the game if you don't play it properly? It's like buying a piano and getting a butler to play it for you - you're just getting a cheat cartridge or a code to do it for you.
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:34
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
i agree that cheats can be used when 100% stuck. i used a cheat in red faction on the pc as i couldn't defeat the boss that flies about (i forget his name) and he throws these balls of electricity at you but while i was cheating i found a way to do it so i re-loaded my save game and passed it without cheating.

i also feel that i have achieved something as well when i play without cheating. i was delighted when i completed max payne (pc) without cheating once.

i was going to get the action replay v2 mainly because of the region free part but also because of fun cheats for GTA3 like god mode and infe ammo. but will only use these once i complete it as i might as well not bother getting it.

GTA is one of the rare games that when you complete it you can turn cheats on to make it more fun like crazy pedestrians LOL

anyway that's me lot.

i'll get me coat
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:56
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
The next generation of console gaming will reap benefits in terms of fairness - be it for many reasons. All consoles are not using the same storage medium - Nintendo are using smaller special discs (not manufactured to public yet, which means no piracy, but I can see it soon being manufactured) to store their games on.

At the end of the day, I can see all the future consoles having cheat cartridges or mechanisms of some sort to influence the game in one way or another. There will never be a level playing field (completely) in the gaming world.
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It's good to see that all 3 of the next-generation consoles all run their games on CD's. Having games on cartridges not only limited the size of the game, but also the fairness. All you had to do was buy an 'Action Replay' cheat cartridge, slot it in, slot your game ontop, enter the codes and you're cheating away! Without an extra slot you cannot apply cheat cartridges to a next-gen. console, so for the games you play you'll only be able to access the more common cheats (like infinite lives, all guns...).

What's the point in spending £40+ on a potential 'Game of the Year' when you're only gunna cheat your way through most of the levels/missions?? By doing it this way you automatically miss out on the full experiences of the game. You don't feel the challenge, the excitement, and the overall plot of the game, as you 'fly' through the game without taking notice of what's going on!! Just think, what if all your mates have played the same game, and completed it all the way through, in the honest way! How would you feel? What would you do if you all went head-to-head in a multiplayer game, they all saw how poor you were, and became suspicious of how you came to complete this same game, 'un-aided', from start to finnish???

It is ok to cheat under certain circumstances. For example if you're absolutely 100% stuck in one area where you keep dying, and you feel an invincibillity cheat is required for you to advance past this particuler area only. That IS acceptable. Or if you find that almost as soon as you begin a certain mission, you almost instantly run out of ammo, and require an infinite/high number. That is also acceptable, for that certain mission. It wouldn't be 'fair gaming' if you kept these cheats or similar ones, acttive throughout the rest of the game!!

Another example of 'acceptable cheating' is after you've completed the game. You may find it dull and boring, and you want something new, different and exciting to appear on you screen. Then you could access one or more cheats to make the game more interesting, like playing it in DK mode, where all characters have big heads. Very funny to watch, especially in football/other sport games! LOL!!

With the forthcoming set of next-generation consoles, it would be a huge dissapointment to the companies and 'true-gamers' who have both put hours of hard-work into creating, developing and playing the games, all the way to final completion! If they did find out that you'd cheated your way through a game, too easily and quickly, then they'd all look down on you, calling you 'a disgrace to gaming'!!

So if you're out there now thinking "I cheat throughout most of almost all of my games!!" then have shame on youself!! And the next time you play a game, especially a new one, avoid the 'aids of cheats' and work through it th 'true way'! You'll enjoy and understand it a lot more, for a lot longer!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.