GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" The X-factor."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 16:32
Regular
Who'd live in Europe, eh? While the Japanese and Americans are all at home now, playing on their next-gen consoles, we're here salivating (is that a word?) over a few grainy pictures, waiting for the Spring to come. And what a wait.
I don't know about you, but just watching the latest clips of games such as Halo and Resident Evil makes me want to board the nearest plane and head for the land of the free (that's the US by the way). Unfortunately, that's when reality takes it's cruel hold, and leaves me wishing I could change time.
So here I am, typing this, growing older all the time, waiting for Spring, waiting for the UK launch of the the console I will be getting, the Game Cube. I was discussing with a friend the new era of gaming, and he told me he had already pre-ordered an X-box. I asked him why he chose the black behemoth over it's competitors. He said one word, "Halo".
"Oh", I replied. "So your buying a £300 pound console (£100 more expensive than the Game Cube and PS2) for a single game!"
"Yep" he replied.
It was then I realised that the X-box's 'killer app' seemed to be a single game, and not it's impressive specification. If you look back, you will notice a similar situation, Nintendo's Game Boy. Nintendo needed something to sell the Game Boy, something people would buy a Game Boy just to play. That game was Tetris, and is one of the main reasons the Game Boy 'series', Mono, Pocket, Color (or, if you live outside the US, Colour!) and Advance, is still here today. Does this mean that X-box is destined for success? Well, maybe. The Game Boy was what, £60 (with Tetris), whereas the X-box is £300 (without a game I believe). And that's assuming the makers of Halo don't make a PC conversion because, after all, the PC audience is one Microsoft have carefully targeted, and why get an X-box when they can play the game on their Computer.
I pondered a while longer, wondering if that's why the PS2 didn't live up to expectations, because it didn't expand on it's real purpose, a games console, and instead emphasised its other features (such as DVD). It relied on it's 'cool image', and though the PS2 ain't dead, its hardly running with the big boys anymore, is it!
So, I have concluded the success of a next-gen console will lie with its games.
The Game Cube, designed with playing games in mind, could be an advantage to Nintendo, but the X-box has cost Microsoft a lot of money to create, and they don't like losses (tell me a company that does?)
So, only time will tell then. At the moment it's all pretty close, though if I were a betting man, I'd say the Game Cube has the edge but, that's only because X-box doesn't have any Monkey games! Well, not yet anyway:)
Sat 22/12/01 at 16:32
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Who'd live in Europe, eh? While the Japanese and Americans are all at home now, playing on their next-gen consoles, we're here salivating (is that a word?) over a few grainy pictures, waiting for the Spring to come. And what a wait.
I don't know about you, but just watching the latest clips of games such as Halo and Resident Evil makes me want to board the nearest plane and head for the land of the free (that's the US by the way). Unfortunately, that's when reality takes it's cruel hold, and leaves me wishing I could change time.
So here I am, typing this, growing older all the time, waiting for Spring, waiting for the UK launch of the the console I will be getting, the Game Cube. I was discussing with a friend the new era of gaming, and he told me he had already pre-ordered an X-box. I asked him why he chose the black behemoth over it's competitors. He said one word, "Halo".
"Oh", I replied. "So your buying a £300 pound console (£100 more expensive than the Game Cube and PS2) for a single game!"
"Yep" he replied.
It was then I realised that the X-box's 'killer app' seemed to be a single game, and not it's impressive specification. If you look back, you will notice a similar situation, Nintendo's Game Boy. Nintendo needed something to sell the Game Boy, something people would buy a Game Boy just to play. That game was Tetris, and is one of the main reasons the Game Boy 'series', Mono, Pocket, Color (or, if you live outside the US, Colour!) and Advance, is still here today. Does this mean that X-box is destined for success? Well, maybe. The Game Boy was what, £60 (with Tetris), whereas the X-box is £300 (without a game I believe). And that's assuming the makers of Halo don't make a PC conversion because, after all, the PC audience is one Microsoft have carefully targeted, and why get an X-box when they can play the game on their Computer.
I pondered a while longer, wondering if that's why the PS2 didn't live up to expectations, because it didn't expand on it's real purpose, a games console, and instead emphasised its other features (such as DVD). It relied on it's 'cool image', and though the PS2 ain't dead, its hardly running with the big boys anymore, is it!
So, I have concluded the success of a next-gen console will lie with its games.
The Game Cube, designed with playing games in mind, could be an advantage to Nintendo, but the X-box has cost Microsoft a lot of money to create, and they don't like losses (tell me a company that does?)
So, only time will tell then. At the moment it's all pretty close, though if I were a betting man, I'd say the Game Cube has the edge but, that's only because X-box doesn't have any Monkey games! Well, not yet anyway:)
Sat 22/12/01 at 17:31
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Why do games with monkeys in always do well?
Sat 22/12/01 at 17:43
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
Why do games with monkeys in always do well?

I have absolutely no idea! It seems that everyone loves monkeys and no-one hates them! I am a bigger fan of the chimpanzee. Someone the other day on here said "SR is a bit simion-esque isn't it?". In fact, I believe I quote Stryke when I say that. What is the fascination with monkeys!?

To the original post, your mate must be absolutely bonkers to buy a £300 console just for one day. I think he's pulling your leg a little there - there has to be other games he's looking foward to - or he should be taken away in a straight-jacket by the white coats and put in a padded cell for all eternity.
Sat 22/12/01 at 17:43
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
Although great games can't always save a console i mean look at the DC it was a cool little machine. it was small and had a funny yet confortable controller.

The thing that put's me off the x box and gamecube is that they don't have a game which makes me say "i want one" yeah halo looks nice and luigi's mansion looks kinda cool but it's just same old same old.

the other thing that put's me off is the size of the x box i mean have you read the dimensions it's huge which is silly as the japs like things small. and the gamecube is nice but it's quite high plus it's toploading.

My tv cabinet in my room i crowded already, i have a VCR, a Sky box, and a DC and after xmas i can just sqeeze in a PS2.

Also it's always a bad idea to buy consoles at launch as the price comes down after about 6-12 months and you just think "damn if i waited i could of got another game"

I wanted PS2 on launch but 2 thing's put me off 1. price and 2. lack of games.

there's no point having a machine when your only gunna get 1 or 2 games for it.

i'll be happy with the DC and PS2 for a while yet but with the power of the x box who knows
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:31
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
No Saleeva, he wasn't my mate. He was just some guy in the shop thinking he's good 'cos he made £50 out of his brother. But didn't realise he was paying too much. Should have gone to SR!
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:40
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> No Saleeva, he wasn't my mate. He was just some guy in the shop thinking he's
> good 'cos he made £50 out of his brother. But didn't realise he was
> paying too much. Should have gone to SR!

Well, this is what you said in the original post:

I was discussing with a FRIEND the new era of gaming, and he told me he had already pre-ordered an X-box. I asked him why he chose the black behemoth over it's competitors. He said one word, "Halo".
"Yep" he replied.

I then replied with this:

To the original post, your mate must be absolutely bonkers to buy a £300 console just for one day.

Maybe you thought I was talking about the guy who sold the PS2 for £300 or whatever!
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Halo is gonna get a PC conversion anyway. I saw it in PCGamer (and they are never wrong...) that the developer said they wanted to do a conversion over to PC, and (this next bit wasn't in PCgamer, I am guessing) it'll probably get released on PC pretty soon after Halo comes out (comes out IN EUROPE anyway :D)

anyway, buy a GameCube, it has Wave Race, Rogue Squadron, Super Monkey Ball(s) ;-) (aren't those monkeys CUTE?!?), and it has the support of Nintendo and Rare (exclusively) and Sonic Team (of Sega) support it too, and many other developers say they prefer working on it to Xbox or PS2. We may even see a Final Fantasy game on GC! (fingers crossed)
Sat 22/12/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Honestly, he is. Ther's a lot of hype surrounding it which could be Halo's downfall, but I doubt it. There looks to be very few flaws from the clips I've seen. And yes, a PC version probably will come out, but when?
Sat 22/12/01 at 23:12
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Just been looking at the story about 'X-box release date' etc on SR when I came across this 'The console war is well and truly underway'. Well, that got me thinking, how many times have we actually said that? I mean come, one company taking on the other is hardly new is it. It's happened so many times in the past. From the SNES Vs. the Mega Drive to the Playstation Vs. Saturn, that sentance has followed the fight's like fly's round sh....poo. Thing is though, maybe this time, we are looking at the start of something big, a titanic battle of Good Vs. Evil (I'll let you pick who's good/bad, but remember who Mr. Gates works for). And whatever the outcome, serious sums of money are involved. I was told a month or so back that the games industry makes more money than the film industry. That didn't shock me at all. So maybe this time, the 'war' will be fought on a different scale. There is no doubt, both company's must think very carefully, as one wrong decision could have serious concsiquenses, consiques...... a serious outcome.
Sun 23/12/01 at 19:20
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
In fact it's rumoured the adult film industry makes more than the film industry. And with film's like Tomb Raider, I'd go for the Erotic Witch Project ANYTIME:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.