GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Confessions of a Gran Turismo Addict"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 12:54
Regular
I imagine myself standing at a podium at a hall of the local middle school on a Wednesday night wearing a little name-tag sticker on my a-few-days-worn sweat shirt. Cold coffee and stale donuts are on a little card table in the back if you want 'em.

"Hi. My name is Paul Bourne and I'm a Gran Turismo addict."
"Hi Paul."

"This is my life people. I realized I had this problem when two things happened last week. 1., I woke up one morning for school humming "I'm Losing My Favorite Game" by Garbage, the opening song on Gran Turismo 2 for the PlayStation and, 2., when I was sitting in class a few days later making engine shifting noises without realizing it until a friend and fellow gearhead slapped me in the arm."

"I haven't been getting much sleep lately. Sure I can deny it and say my lack of sleep is the result of it being the end of the school term,and christmas, but that would be an honest lie (if there is such a thing, I can't remember - my head hurts). It is because I go to bed (note I said "go to bed," not "go to sleep") thinking about the beauty of Kazunori Yamauchi's latest racing-opus "Gran Turismo 3." For those who don't recognize the name, he is the Producer and Creator of my electronic opiate for the last 5 years, the Gran Turismo series."

"I watch my life pass by like one of those picture shows from the 1930's. There are no voices, just the cutsy piano tunes that play in the background while Charlie and Buster do their best at physical comedy. I would laugh but I can't. I'm not sure why, it's not like I'm bi-polar or anything. I live in a world of fruit juicers and ab rollers. I can't laugh at Charlie, but I can laugh at Jake, from Body By Jake. Once again, I don't know why."

"I can honestly say I wasn't like this a month ago. I have been anticipating the purchase for some time now (both my copy of GT3 and my special-edition GT3 Logitech wheel are both on my lounge table and have been played with for hours), but I guess it is when the game launched in Japan a yar or so ago (I honestly can't keep track of time now) is when I jumped from the occasional user to the hardcore addict. I spend a good part of each day looking through my favorite forums to scrape up every little tidbit that I can about the game. I have read all the articles in all the major trade mags and still, I found my only hope was the past Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) over in teh states and Los Angeles. I honestly tried to go see all the exhibits, but my fear was that I will have to spend the first part of my first day just breathing in the creamy goodness that is GT3."

"I also had my deeply coveted copy - by me - of the Gran Turismo 3 demo. I'm not sure exactly how much time I have logged, but it would easily challenge my time spent with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. I apologize now to my boss if I don't update as regularly as I have in the past when GT3 came out five months ago (today), 12 hours, and 51 minutes as of this writing if SR is close on their estimate. 5 minutes…4 minutes…3 minutes…"

"I am off to my room now. Crocodile Dundee is on BBC one. He is my anti-drug."

Well, at least admitting I have a problem is the first step to recovery.

I'm losin' my favorite gaaame; I'm losin' my mind agaaain.

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:54
Regular
"pob, the originator"
I imagine myself standing at a podium at a hall of the local middle school on a Wednesday night wearing a little name-tag sticker on my a-few-days-worn sweat shirt. Cold coffee and stale donuts are on a little card table in the back if you want 'em.

"Hi. My name is Paul Bourne and I'm a Gran Turismo addict."
"Hi Paul."

"This is my life people. I realized I had this problem when two things happened last week. 1., I woke up one morning for school humming "I'm Losing My Favorite Game" by Garbage, the opening song on Gran Turismo 2 for the PlayStation and, 2., when I was sitting in class a few days later making engine shifting noises without realizing it until a friend and fellow gearhead slapped me in the arm."

"I haven't been getting much sleep lately. Sure I can deny it and say my lack of sleep is the result of it being the end of the school term,and christmas, but that would be an honest lie (if there is such a thing, I can't remember - my head hurts). It is because I go to bed (note I said "go to bed," not "go to sleep") thinking about the beauty of Kazunori Yamauchi's latest racing-opus "Gran Turismo 3." For those who don't recognize the name, he is the Producer and Creator of my electronic opiate for the last 5 years, the Gran Turismo series."

"I watch my life pass by like one of those picture shows from the 1930's. There are no voices, just the cutsy piano tunes that play in the background while Charlie and Buster do their best at physical comedy. I would laugh but I can't. I'm not sure why, it's not like I'm bi-polar or anything. I live in a world of fruit juicers and ab rollers. I can't laugh at Charlie, but I can laugh at Jake, from Body By Jake. Once again, I don't know why."

"I can honestly say I wasn't like this a month ago. I have been anticipating the purchase for some time now (both my copy of GT3 and my special-edition GT3 Logitech wheel are both on my lounge table and have been played with for hours), but I guess it is when the game launched in Japan a yar or so ago (I honestly can't keep track of time now) is when I jumped from the occasional user to the hardcore addict. I spend a good part of each day looking through my favorite forums to scrape up every little tidbit that I can about the game. I have read all the articles in all the major trade mags and still, I found my only hope was the past Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) over in teh states and Los Angeles. I honestly tried to go see all the exhibits, but my fear was that I will have to spend the first part of my first day just breathing in the creamy goodness that is GT3."

"I also had my deeply coveted copy - by me - of the Gran Turismo 3 demo. I'm not sure exactly how much time I have logged, but it would easily challenge my time spent with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. I apologize now to my boss if I don't update as regularly as I have in the past when GT3 came out five months ago (today), 12 hours, and 51 minutes as of this writing if SR is close on their estimate. 5 minutes…4 minutes…3 minutes…"

"I am off to my room now. Crocodile Dundee is on BBC one. He is my anti-drug."

Well, at least admitting I have a problem is the first step to recovery.

I'm losin' my favorite gaaame; I'm losin' my mind agaaain.

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o
Sat 22/12/01 at 14:57
Regular
That's the funniest topic i've read in ages. I hope you win GAD for it.
Sat 22/12/01 at 15:41
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Asher D wrote:
> That's the funniest topic i've read in ages. I hope you win GAD for it.

I hope so too.
Sat 22/12/01 at 15:44
Regular
Seeing your a newbie and you haven't won yet you have a good chance, although you might want to drop the GAD topic now because SR might think you are too big headed and not give it to you. so, anyone like Jak & Daxter? (lame question, i know)
Sun 23/12/01 at 22:28
That is a pretty good one and you will probably get a GAD for it.
Mon 24/12/01 at 16:43
Regular
Getting banned sometimes makes your chances a little against you
Mon 24/12/01 at 17:04
Regular
"  "
what did he get banned for?
Mon 24/12/01 at 17:06
Regular
I dunno
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:00
Regular
"360: swfcman"
LOL, that was a decent post too. :D
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:22
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
yeh it was a good post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.