GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Some Questions about MGS2: Substance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance'.
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:09
Regular
Now, being a PS2 owner (and not fanboy) I have, like most of my breed, been following the Metal Gear series from the first 3D stage.

*for those who don't know, Metal Gear first appeared on the Nintendo systems.

Since it asn't yet been released for PS2 I just wanted t know if it was worth buying if you have already purchased MGS2: Sons of Liberty. Now I dont want some fanboy pieces of crap just spamming this thread because its just a waste of space. I want the people who have actually played it or have seen videos/reviews please.
Fri 14/03/03 at 22:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Overall, the annoying 'Rose' parts of the story are really sticking out in the game now and they get to me at times.
Plus after playing Splinter Cell, I'm trying to be a lot more stealthy than I need to be.
I keep trying to crouch and run and of course you can't do that in MGS so that frustrates sometimes. I think Splinter Cell has kind of ruined MGS for me a bit. Not saying Splinter Cell beats it in every area as such, but the stealth gameplay is a lot more detailed in SC and it makes the stealth in MGS look beyond basic.

Its still a really good game - just finding it hard to really get involved in the story again. I don't think the Sons Of Liberty storyline comes close to the story within MGS on PS1.

It would be nice to see a remake of the first game as that was sheer class.
Fri 14/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I would disagree, although I didn't own Sons of Liberty on PS2, I do own substance on Xbox. Everything in Sons of Liberty is in Substace, so if you do trade in there is nothing to lose. The extra stuff is:

The VR missions, which are great fun. There are over 350+ but that is a bit misleading. You get 10 Sneaking missions, 10 disposal missions, loads of weapons training levels, first person levels and variety levels, which are all unique. You get all the above for each of the different characters, and are all of different difficulty. Snakes are harder than Raidens, whereas Ninjas missions have to be tackled alot differently as he has his cool sword. Some of the VR missions are quite short, but others take mabye 10 minutes.

There are 150+ Alternative missions which range from Hold Up objectives, to bomb disposal to elimination levels. These take place in areas of the main game. Again these are available for each character, and each is dirrerent and of varying difficulty.

Then there are 5 Snakes tales, which I havn't really played yet. These are played in the big shell and tanker only with different objectives and storylines not associated with SoL. There are no codec screens either to spoil the fun.

I really like substance, mainly becuase I like steath games. There is alot to keep you occupied in Substance if you are a fan and you will probably be playing the game forever if you want to accheive all the high scores on the VR training levels. If you don't think you will like it, hold out for Splinter Cell on PS2, it'll be amazing if it comes anywhere near close tot he xbox version. Hope this helps.
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
It depends how much of a fan of the series you are. If you're a big fan then it'll be worth trading in your old game for Substance. If its more of a passing interest then you may not want to bother as I doubt theres enough in the game to warrant trading in and adding an amount on top for the VR missions, etc.
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:09
Regular
Now, being a PS2 owner (and not fanboy) I have, like most of my breed, been following the Metal Gear series from the first 3D stage.

*for those who don't know, Metal Gear first appeared on the Nintendo systems.

Since it asn't yet been released for PS2 I just wanted t know if it was worth buying if you have already purchased MGS2: Sons of Liberty. Now I dont want some fanboy pieces of crap just spamming this thread because its just a waste of space. I want the people who have actually played it or have seen videos/reviews please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.