GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smart Box Art"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 21:24
Regular
Video games- a roller coaster ride of emotions. Each trip is unique: different style, different graphics, different people hurling all over you as you loop-the-loop. There is, however, one aspect of video games that is always different. My friends, let me introduce you to the crazy world of Box art.

"Oh wow" I hear you say. Sarcasm will get you nowhere, lad! Little do you know, box art is responsible for catching your attention as a game sits on the shelf.

So what is it then? Is box art hypnotic? Are you lulled into buying games? Possibly, and I'll leave that to someone with the technology, but for now- pretty colours will do. We're drawn to pretty colours. A game really stands out if the box has a great appeal to it. Interesting to say, some designers have never thought of using designs that would really grasp people's attention. Well, I guess I had better explain, then!

(1) Burberry

Head on over to ebay.co.uk and have a look at the top ten searches. It comes as no surprise that Burberry is the top search. Popular with Townies (and their ever-increasing population) Burberry is a sought-after make. So why not stick the design onto a Video Game cover?

Using Burberry as Box art would be like drawing bee's to Jam- they all swarm round it and want a piece of the action. Think about it. Imagine yourself as a townie. You walk down the street, famously walking like an idiot (Yet you feel 'ard) when you see a box with Burberry emblazoned upon the cover. "Ooh, Burberry. Get me some of dat, innit!" As you wander over to the store, many other people are drawn towards the rows upon rows of Burberry boxes. In actual fact, the game with Burberry cover art is none other than Superman! A famously crap game with a famously popular cover art design- what better way to increase sales! See? It's easy if you choose the right cover art!

(2) Titleist

Titleist is *the* Golf ball brand. Famous for accuracy, distance and spin- they're popular with Pro's all around the world. So what does Tiger Woods 2004 have as its Box art? A Titleist golf ball, of course.

Iron fillings are pulled magnetically towards a magnet. Replace Magnet with Tiger Woods 2004 and iron fillings with the Golfing population and you have an instant success! "More distance" says Fred, as he wanders over to see why golf balls are advertised in video game shops. Who knows what the game's about, if it has Titleist on the front, it's a sure sign of quality!

"EA are set to make billions", predicts Golf Monthly.

(3) Nokia

Everyone has a mobile phone (Well, the good majority anyway) so why not advertise video games with Nokia mobiles? A clever idea, indeed. Always wanting extra features on mobiles, Joe Bloggs is intrigued. "I only came in here for a Top-up voucher, when this game caught my attention".

Expect add-ons, dozens of accessories and exchangeable box-art with 'The Sims- Yakking away on mobiles'.

(4) Justin Timberlake's Face

"Oooooh… He's so Dreamy!" Urgh. What do Girls see in him? I mean, I look around my school and all you can see is his face. Pencil cases, folders, bags- his mug has pretty much taken over our school. Since his face is everywhere else, why not stick it onto a box? Instant success with the ladies!

Justin Timberlake could endorse any game and it would reach the Number 1 sales place in under three days. That's scary.

And worse- what if he starred in his own game? I know I'm losing sight of the main topic, but that'd be number 1 for months. I wouldn't be surprised if the X-Files music began playing right about now- because that idea really scares the crap out of me.

(5) Cadbury

Damn Cadbury. When I walk into a shop to buy NGC, I'm always drawn to the big shelf stacked full of chocolate. It comes in many forms, so there's always some exciting new taste for you to experience. So why not slap a Cadbury Logo onto a game box?

Chocolate lovers would be drawn towards the game like there's no tomorrow. Drooling would increase by 16.4%, too.

To sum it all up, using clever box art is a sure-fire way of selling a game. And I do mean any game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester United suddenly found themselves on a box cover.

Thanks for Reading

Microchips

(P.S.- No offence is meant! :D)
Sat 15/03/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
That.... sucked.
Badly
Very poor.
I hated it, pure total crap.
Pfft.
Poor.
Fri 14/03/03 at 21:48
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Thanks guys. :)
Fri 14/03/03 at 20:04
Regular
"Remember me?"
Microchips wrote:
> Is there an alternative to POP?
>
> :D

Say "POP" backwards!!! Whooooooa! Head spin!

And nice post :D
Fri 14/03/03 at 20:02
Regular
Great post Chips :-)
Fri 14/03/03 at 17:45
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Change 'bees' to 'shrews' and 'jam' to 'blenders' and it makes sense.
Fri 14/03/03 at 17:24
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Microchips wrote:
> Using Burberry as Box art would be like drawing bee's to Jam

JAM!

And I think you mean wasps rather than bees.
Fri 14/03/03 at 17:19
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Is there an alternative to POP?

:D
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:48
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Thanks, I think...

:D
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:35
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
>Damn you Cadburys.....making me fat........ :D

cadburys rule, dont dis cadburys, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cadburys, *starts eating cadburys cream egg* yeah so nice, oh and i eat it with a knife and fork and cut into it, not really
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
I know this was taking the preverbial p!$h but it is true. I mean look at the GTA covers. Each has nine different box's, which means nine different colours. Then people look at these boxs and see helicopters, guns, tommy, cars, boats and bikes and think, this game has EVERYTHING!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.