GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We are gifted"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 21:45
Regular
Just as we are given the gift of life, go-karts and bog roll, we have also been given the gift that allows us to play videogames, and well.

How many years have you been interested in games? For me, it's been over 10 years and with age I've achieved greater skill and knowledge. When I compare myself with others who have recently found a hobby in gaming (who shouldn't really be called amateurs) and those that have no interest whatsoever in computer games, I cannot help but feel tremendously privileged, in the same way I am for food, a roof over my head and good health.

It's a great feeling to have when offered a challenge on a computer game by someone you know you can beat, but on the other hand pity and sorrow can be brought up at the same time. I've played against many people over a long stretch of time and some of them have given me a very good challenge, but the majority have not. So often I have found myself showing people the ropes of a game before actually playing against them, which isn't a very promising sign of a challenging experience ahead. These people are not privileged with any games or consoles, which makes them so easy to beat, but yet they show so much enthusiasm to play. Does this not show passion?

Hey, I don't blame them. Gaming is so attractive to the eager eye, it's no wonder most of the times I am visited people ask to play on my games, in which I am very reluctant to refuse, however bad they are. But I've also learnt something over the time I've spent with games, that if you give someone a chance, no matter how reassured of winning you may be, they may actually teach you a thing or two.

Games are very unpredictable nowadays and sometimes luck can play its part. At times when I have played against these less privileged people, I have been taught a thing or two myself. In football games, I could not count the number of times someone has accidentally stumbled across a new skill that amazed me; the same goes for beat'em ups, where I have learnt new moves and combos from the help of random gamers; even in adventures/RPGs and all that, where even though I have been quite strict in allowing others with less knowledge playing any of my lengthy games in case they damage my saves, I've been in situations where these same people discovered something valuable and important in the game that I missed. It’s prejudice and stereotype in a way, that we think just because someone may not be somewhat of a “hardcore gamer” immediately means that they’re pretty crap with games.

I’ve also been beaten at my own game the odd couple of time from less skilled players. Okay, so feeling sorry for them could have influenced this, but there have been times where I haven’t felt pity and I’ve still been beaten. However, nothing beats a good old challenge from a fellow skilled gamer like yourself, I’m sure you agree, especially if you’re the competitive type.

9 out of 10 times you are guaranteed an intense battle ahead (with the fun that’s a regular with multiplayer), which is why, however unfair it may seem, I prefer to play against people that first-hand know what they’re doing. It means I don’t have to spend half an hour giving a tour of the game and receiving repeated questions every ten seconds of that duration like, “What was to punch again?” I much prefer to dive straight into play and with someone that will give me a good run for my pride and dignity.

This is simply a message to everyone to cherish and be grateful for the special ability we have, which is to play games. Although it may seem ordinary to us, it isn’t for plenty of others out there. That is why we must continue to give direction and help these lost creatures at every opportunity we get, no matter how annoying it is, so they too can become pros and interested in computer games. For all you know they could be the next notable of SR.

Thanks for reading (and not just for gloating over the ‘we are gifted’ bit)
Fri 14/03/03 at 00:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
<- Lazarou -> wrote:
> i'm glad i've been playing games for many years.
> my first games were £1.50 from asda, and were for the spectrum.

Those were the days...

> then you've got 'button bashing' games where virtually no skill is
> needed, and jumping on the joypad will allow even an idiot to win a
> game.
>
> so no, I can't agree chief.

You've got a fair point there. It's those sort of games that undermine truly experienced and talented gamers, which is why I rarely ever buy them. Most of my games demand skill, precision and practice, but the odd bit of luck still lurks about here and there.
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:34
Regular
i'm glad i've been playing games for many years.
my first games were £1.50 from asda, and were for the spectrum. I've always had at least one computer, my favourite by far was my amiga which I had for ages.

but I don't think this really gives you the upper hand on playing games with your mates. I've got mates who have never played games in their lives, who have bought consoles and become incredibly proficient at one particular game. If you've never played that game, or not played it much, then they will kick your *** at it.

then you've got 'button bashing' games where virtually no skill is needed, and jumping on the joypad will allow even an idiot to win a game.

so no, I can't agree chief.

One thing I am glad about though, is over the years you learn how artificial intelligence works. Every game has certain AI that is different to another, but they follow patterns, and that makes it easier to complete games, once you discover their weakness.

The key to any game is discovering its weakness, once you do, you can beat it with ease. No AI will ever be able to beat a human.

Playing your mates when you are both extremely good is always entertaining. Games like red alert 2 can last for hours, with each of you devising tactics. thats the bread and butter of gaming to me, but I don't have many friends that are up to scratch on such games, and those that are are usually unavailable.
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:25
Regular
"I'm Great."
Cheerleader fan No 3. Anyway I'd kick your anus at it. Just bring it. I'll let everyone know when I win.
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:09
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Cid Vilante wrote:
> Nothing like a good game of ISS Pro 98 against someone equally skilled
> as you. Play it when ever my friend comes over and it's usually a
> close game but as of late I've had the edge.
>

Balls. I kick your backside at that game
or is this cheerleader fan no.3 we're on about
Thu 13/03/03 at 22:58
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I'm quite gutted at this precise moment in time.
I just lost on Virtua Tennis 2 (one of my favourite sport sims) to my sister...of all people! It took me about ten minutes to get her to understand the controls, and she only went and used it against me. I shouldn't have helped her. It has to be because of that. How else could she have won?

I couldn't help, but feel like a complete mug whilst she was jumping for joy because she beat me at my own game.

the shame.
Thu 13/03/03 at 22:32
Regular
"I'm Great."
Nothing like a good game of ISS Pro 98 against someone equally skilled as you. Play it when ever my friend comes over and it's usually a close game but as of late I've had the edge.

Yes it's always better I feel to play someone that knows what they're doing. The classic example is Street Fighter 2. You play some one that doesn't know the moves and that is just no fun. If they know them you got a great fight.

Nothing against those new to a game because they all got to start somewhere. Some are even better than me because some games I just suck at. If I get a good game from them then I'm cool with it.
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:45
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Just as we are given the gift of life, go-karts and bog roll, we have also been given the gift that allows us to play videogames, and well.

How many years have you been interested in games? For me, it's been over 10 years and with age I've achieved greater skill and knowledge. When I compare myself with others who have recently found a hobby in gaming (who shouldn't really be called amateurs) and those that have no interest whatsoever in computer games, I cannot help but feel tremendously privileged, in the same way I am for food, a roof over my head and good health.

It's a great feeling to have when offered a challenge on a computer game by someone you know you can beat, but on the other hand pity and sorrow can be brought up at the same time. I've played against many people over a long stretch of time and some of them have given me a very good challenge, but the majority have not. So often I have found myself showing people the ropes of a game before actually playing against them, which isn't a very promising sign of a challenging experience ahead. These people are not privileged with any games or consoles, which makes them so easy to beat, but yet they show so much enthusiasm to play. Does this not show passion?

Hey, I don't blame them. Gaming is so attractive to the eager eye, it's no wonder most of the times I am visited people ask to play on my games, in which I am very reluctant to refuse, however bad they are. But I've also learnt something over the time I've spent with games, that if you give someone a chance, no matter how reassured of winning you may be, they may actually teach you a thing or two.

Games are very unpredictable nowadays and sometimes luck can play its part. At times when I have played against these less privileged people, I have been taught a thing or two myself. In football games, I could not count the number of times someone has accidentally stumbled across a new skill that amazed me; the same goes for beat'em ups, where I have learnt new moves and combos from the help of random gamers; even in adventures/RPGs and all that, where even though I have been quite strict in allowing others with less knowledge playing any of my lengthy games in case they damage my saves, I've been in situations where these same people discovered something valuable and important in the game that I missed. It’s prejudice and stereotype in a way, that we think just because someone may not be somewhat of a “hardcore gamer” immediately means that they’re pretty crap with games.

I’ve also been beaten at my own game the odd couple of time from less skilled players. Okay, so feeling sorry for them could have influenced this, but there have been times where I haven’t felt pity and I’ve still been beaten. However, nothing beats a good old challenge from a fellow skilled gamer like yourself, I’m sure you agree, especially if you’re the competitive type.

9 out of 10 times you are guaranteed an intense battle ahead (with the fun that’s a regular with multiplayer), which is why, however unfair it may seem, I prefer to play against people that first-hand know what they’re doing. It means I don’t have to spend half an hour giving a tour of the game and receiving repeated questions every ten seconds of that duration like, “What was to punch again?” I much prefer to dive straight into play and with someone that will give me a good run for my pride and dignity.

This is simply a message to everyone to cherish and be grateful for the special ability we have, which is to play games. Although it may seem ordinary to us, it isn’t for plenty of others out there. That is why we must continue to give direction and help these lost creatures at every opportunity we get, no matter how annoying it is, so they too can become pros and interested in computer games. For all you know they could be the next notable of SR.

Thanks for reading (and not just for gloating over the ‘we are gifted’ bit)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.