GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are we all sick ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 23:09
Regular
I don't think I'm alone here when I say that it is immensely satisfying to blast coppers, and innocent people with all manner of brutal weapons on games like Vice city.

I actually love doing it. I mean c'mon, its the games selling point. If all you had to throw at people was harsh language, would it sell as many copies?

Stealing someones car, then killing them, before having a lengthy car chase, then killing as many police as you can before they take you down, its like living out some forbidden dream.

And other games like king-pin, where you can hire people to beat other people to death on the street right in front of your eyes. Or max payne, where you can watch bullets hit people in slow motion and tear their bodies to pieces. I play games simply because you can do that. And I'm sure the millions of people that buy these games buy them for the same reasons.

I've come up with the perfect description for this genre - morally bankrupt.

So, are we all sick ? :o)
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:09
Regular
I don't think I'm alone here when I say that it is immensely satisfying to blast coppers, and innocent people with all manner of brutal weapons on games like Vice city.

I actually love doing it. I mean c'mon, its the games selling point. If all you had to throw at people was harsh language, would it sell as many copies?

Stealing someones car, then killing them, before having a lengthy car chase, then killing as many police as you can before they take you down, its like living out some forbidden dream.

And other games like king-pin, where you can hire people to beat other people to death on the street right in front of your eyes. Or max payne, where you can watch bullets hit people in slow motion and tear their bodies to pieces. I play games simply because you can do that. And I'm sure the millions of people that buy these games buy them for the same reasons.

I've come up with the perfect description for this genre - morally bankrupt.

So, are we all sick ? :o)
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:12
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I own Vice City, but didn't get it for the reasons you did. I love its free roaming nature and the fact that it's a game that has long lasting appeal. That, and i love the radio stations. :P
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:28
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I don’t think we are all sick, it may seem slightly worse in the future when graphics have advanced so much that all the people you are slaughtering look photo realistic.

I personally am not a big fan of the “Grand Theft Auto” series, I just don’t find it to entertaining.

I do agree with rating the games in much the same way movies, but I don’t think it makes a huge amount of difference as any shop I have seen underage looking people buying 18+ games they don’t get I.Ded as stringently as they would if it was a 18+ video.

What do you think on the whole computer games affecting kid’s thing?

I personally don’t think games affect the way people behave too much, I mean if Pacman affected kids in the 80’s, they would all now run around in darkened rooms munching pills and listening to repetitive music...hmm.
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:39
Regular
"I'm Great."
English_Bloke wrote:

> I personally don’t think games affect the way people behave too much,
> I mean if Pacman affected kids in the 80’s, they would all now run
> around in darkened rooms munching pills and listening to repetitive
> music...hmm.

Couldn't of said it better my self.
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:41
Regular
i think it depends on the person.

some people can watch films about killing all day, or play vice city and cut people up with chainsaws, and not be affected by it.

others see it as a guide to life or something. they enjoy it so much they forget it isnt real life, and therefore want to do it for real.

we are too busy blaming games and films (and music) for violence, when the truth is, its down to the person.

why should responsible people have to do without things because others have no self control?

it's like the gun laws in this country, some people enjoy shooting guns, others enjoy archery. will archery be banned next? and what next, baseball bats? knives?

its just silly.

If I want to watch a violent film or spend my evening disembowelling virtual people, I should be able to do it.
Fri 14/03/03 at 00:21
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I've thought this before and found that the logic is in people's mentalities.

Some take videogames more seriously than others, which could have terrible psychological effects and influence them into doing the unthinkable in the real world.

It's really bizarre though, to think that a videogame can be the main cause for a crime - absolutely bizarre!
Fri 14/03/03 at 06:59
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Lindgren wrote:
> I own Vice City, but didn't get it for the reasons you did. I love its
> free roaming nature and the fact that it's a game that has long
> lasting appeal. That, and i love the radio stations. :P

ROFL! Are you crazy or something? If you haven't guessed yet, I buy it for the reasons of the original post, to do things which I can't in real life. Hmmm. I wonder if crime levels have dropped since the release of the game. Well, not in this country, as we're not gun-totting maniacs. Let's try America then...
Fri 14/03/03 at 08:37
"For the horde!!!!"
aawwww killing people is fun
*thinks about killing someone with a chainsaw*
*drools*
Fri 14/03/03 at 15:58
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I dislike Vice City.

It's repetitive.
It's boring.
It's too similar too GTA3.
Gun crimes and car thefts aren't exactly my thing, even if it is in a computer game.
Fri 14/03/03 at 16:04
"Darkness, always"
GTA games are gay.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.