GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rated 18 for a Reason ???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 23:11
Regular
We’ve all heard the debate over video gaming turning ‘innocent children’ into psychotic murderers a million times before, and I’m not going to go into that debate. But here’s another question here. Is violence ‘cool’?

Now you may think it is a stupid question, especially after September 11th and the events related to that, but you just have to look at the Grand Theft Auto 3 advert on the Special Reserve website to see an example. The advert reads “It’s rated 18 for a reason”. Now, to me, that seems like a blatant attempt at getting people to buy it purely based on the fact that it is an 18, so it must have swearing and blood in it. I’m not trying to say Special Reserve are doing wrong here, if that advert sells then there is nothing wrong with the advert, but something wrong with the people who are buying the game based on that advert.

Now you may think that it just doesn’t apply to you, but think about it for a moment. Have you ever looked at two titles and thought you’d get one over the other because it looked more ‘mature’ in the sense of more blood/swearing/sex appeal? (sex appeal, like in Tomb Raider, where Lara’s breasts get bigger with every sequel) I know I bought Carmageddon for the PC because it was violent and looked kind of funny. But is it now becoming ‘cool’ to buy games, watch films, etc. that are 15s or 18s simply because they aren’t supposed to be viewed/played by the younger demographic? Is it just the people who are old enough (or look old enough) to see or play these who are just doing it because they know it is denied to others? I don’t think that this is often the case, but for teenagers then it could be quite often.

Now just think. Would your mates be more impressed with a game if it had blood and violence in it or wouldn’t it make a difference? Would you be more likely to buy a game with or without violence in it?
Fri 21/12/01 at 23:11
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
We’ve all heard the debate over video gaming turning ‘innocent children’ into psychotic murderers a million times before, and I’m not going to go into that debate. But here’s another question here. Is violence ‘cool’?

Now you may think it is a stupid question, especially after September 11th and the events related to that, but you just have to look at the Grand Theft Auto 3 advert on the Special Reserve website to see an example. The advert reads “It’s rated 18 for a reason”. Now, to me, that seems like a blatant attempt at getting people to buy it purely based on the fact that it is an 18, so it must have swearing and blood in it. I’m not trying to say Special Reserve are doing wrong here, if that advert sells then there is nothing wrong with the advert, but something wrong with the people who are buying the game based on that advert.

Now you may think that it just doesn’t apply to you, but think about it for a moment. Have you ever looked at two titles and thought you’d get one over the other because it looked more ‘mature’ in the sense of more blood/swearing/sex appeal? (sex appeal, like in Tomb Raider, where Lara’s breasts get bigger with every sequel) I know I bought Carmageddon for the PC because it was violent and looked kind of funny. But is it now becoming ‘cool’ to buy games, watch films, etc. that are 15s or 18s simply because they aren’t supposed to be viewed/played by the younger demographic? Is it just the people who are old enough (or look old enough) to see or play these who are just doing it because they know it is denied to others? I don’t think that this is often the case, but for teenagers then it could be quite often.

Now just think. Would your mates be more impressed with a game if it had blood and violence in it or wouldn’t it make a difference? Would you be more likely to buy a game with or without violence in it?
Sat 22/12/01 at 06:42
I would have to say that violence sells more video games. I like the violence in games but I'm old enough to understand that it is just a game.

Also, I think that SR put that add up there to let people know that it did have violence in it and that it wasn't for younger gamers.
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think it's only "cool" amoungst teenagers who want to be seen playing the most violent games around...

People grown out of this in time... but are still swayed by blood (Res Evil) and advertising (GTA)...

After all, who wants to be seen playing some cute kiddy game!

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:34
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Games are rated 18 for a simple reason... " they " think it is bad for you...

Like smoking, drinking...

Or your not matue enough to relise what it is... like driving a car, gettting married etc etc

Although I do not agree with this... say there is a film that is an 18 and your "mature" enough to see it... why aren't you allowed... its a bloody facist government.

" No ye cannae watch that cause I say so "

Load of crap... sure I don't think a young kid should go see a man get his head blown off... but its theirs and their parents choice... I don't think other people have the right to say what your allowed and not allowed to watch...

So moving onto games:

Games are used for escapism probably... and really it is only a game but there is a large difference between Mario and (enter violent game)... if there is a 10 year old kid with that variety you are going to wonder a bit... theres one game with bright colourful characters... (in saying that he has a Stalin tache and he likes magic mushrooms) and the other game being about war.

I think a mature 12 year old can make there own choice on that... they'll get it anyway if they want it... parent or older brother etc... so there is no need for the age restrictions as long as they know reality etc... in saying that it would be quite hard to judge...

This rubbish was brought from the bored mind of Sheepy.
Sat 22/12/01 at 17:50
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
enough about fascist regimes SHEEPY...

The point I was trying to make was that it seems to be 'cool' with some groups (teenagers, and smaller kids about 10-12) to have violence in videogames. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with violence in games, but why should the amount of gore in a game affect your choice on whether to get it or not?
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:31
Regular
I'm only 12.
I like to play stuff like GTA3. I don't think it's 'cool' but it is quite fun doing alot of things that you cannot do in real life, like....having really cool police chases :D
Sat 22/12/01 at 18:46
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
Games are rated 18 for a reason, or what would be the point of classing a game due to it's content in the first place? I don't believe that gaming creates mad men, they are born with that mentality. The parents always tend to blame the gaming industry, but that's just because the parents can't believe that their little "angel" would do such a thing. In other words, they think that the sun shines out of their child's a**e!

I noticed the GTA 3 ad, and I thought nothing of it when it said "It's rated 18 for a reason" - you have made me think twice. I think a big reason why a lot of people buy these games is controversy. Take a look at Eminem - he sells an exceedingly large ammount of CDs, whether his songs are any good or not. With the current community, swearing/gore/controversy = good and this is true to films, games, music and sometimes even life.
Sat 22/12/01 at 20:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Age limits are messed up...

At 16 you can leave home, join the army, get married, and have a child...

But you can't drink!

So you'll let someone who isn't mature enough to look after their own health have a kid??!??!?

Sonic
Sun 23/12/01 at 11:31
Regular
at 16 you can have a sh*g but you cant watch it or look at it in magazines till you are 18.
weird
KR
Sun 23/12/01 at 13:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Kid Rock wrote:
> at 16 you can have a sh*g but you cant watch it or look at it in magazines till
> you are 18.
weird
KR

It's worse in america...
u can father a chile at 16 (in some places it's younger!), but can't drink till you're 21 because you're not thought to be mature enough!!!?!?

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.