GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Books V.s Movies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 22:28
Regular
So your thinking, movies is the winner. Well actually sit back and think about your decision. If you consider it, you will definatly change your mind to books. If you have ever read a stephen king book, you will agree.

Movies tell you what to think, they cram your senses with so much information, you literally can't think. But with books on the other hand, your mind takes control.

Its when you get to a specific point in a book, such as a murder or moment of love, that your mind gets to work. You subconciously piece together bits of information obtained throughout your life, and fits them into that scene.

If you read stephen kings 'it', when you get to the first murder, you are told there is a clown, called pennywise, who pulls a boy into the gutter, ripping his arm off. Somehow, the way it is frased, your mind makes it more graphic, i was suprised at this when reading it, as i could actually see him being ripped apart, flesh tearing etc.

I suggest now that you've thought about your decision, you read the book insted of the film, as you will make it better for yourself. If you want a good horror book, chose one of stephen kings, such as christine or it or the shining.

Read on...
Sat 22/12/01 at 19:56
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ant wrote:
*Read Colony by Rob
> Grant now*

Been there, read that. Love it. Read it frequently. It rocks.
Sat 22/12/01 at 19:47
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
I think that films are better than books, but wait before you fire barrages of insults at me.

Stephen King is not all the writer he is cracked up to be. Sure, he can make one hell of a tension-clad novel, but give him a romantic novel and it'll be removed from shelves very swiftly. I quote my english teacher when I say "King writes tension-filled sentences". Here's an example, "Georgie stopped. He looked around", and so it goes on. King is an excellent horror writer, but I can bet that he couldn't write drama or romance for toffies.

I have seen "It" and read about the first 50 or so pages and the book runs at a much slower pace than the 3-hour feature-length film.

I am willing to agree that book to film adaptations normally are absolute floaters and vice verca, but then they are the exceptions. Most on here agree that both versions of Lord Of The Rings are good.

By the way, there is a cartoon version of LOTR on DVD - it's in the SR database.
Sat 22/12/01 at 10:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
John Grisham, Dean Koontz, Tolkien and yes, even Rob Grant *Read Colony by Rob Grant now* are great writers, some of the best at the moment (discounting Tolkien, of course.) Personally, I don't think Rowling is anything special.

Books can do exactly the same as movies. Try out James Herbert's The Others. Some parts of that left me filled with tension, suspense, excitement and many other emotions. And Micheal Crichton's TimeLine is also an excellent piece of work for you action-readers out there.
Sat 22/12/01 at 09:38
Regular
I'm with misterhappy. If you write a post like this and ignore Rowling and Tolkien, given recent films, and concentrate on Stephen King, then you don't know that much about books. Good books that have been adapted to films don't include the Stephen King and Tom Clancy movies. Now, the Grisham movies, they were good. The Firm, starring Tom Cruise, was an excellent book adaptation.
Fri 21/12/01 at 22:36
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
books vs. films?

Stephen King is not the paragon of literature that so many hail him as. Can't we see a comparison between Heller's Catch-22 and the film? Commenting that one of the book's most prominent features, its scatalogical plot, was lost by the film and in doing so the film failed to capture the absurdity and futility that the book perfectly renders.

No? Descriptions of arms being torn off instead? Oh well, call me a literary snob but I think I'll sit this one out.
Fri 21/12/01 at 22:28
So your thinking, movies is the winner. Well actually sit back and think about your decision. If you consider it, you will definatly change your mind to books. If you have ever read a stephen king book, you will agree.

Movies tell you what to think, they cram your senses with so much information, you literally can't think. But with books on the other hand, your mind takes control.

Its when you get to a specific point in a book, such as a murder or moment of love, that your mind gets to work. You subconciously piece together bits of information obtained throughout your life, and fits them into that scene.

If you read stephen kings 'it', when you get to the first murder, you are told there is a clown, called pennywise, who pulls a boy into the gutter, ripping his arm off. Somehow, the way it is frased, your mind makes it more graphic, i was suprised at this when reading it, as i could actually see him being ripped apart, flesh tearing etc.

I suggest now that you've thought about your decision, you read the book insted of the film, as you will make it better for yourself. If you want a good horror book, chose one of stephen kings, such as christine or it or the shining.

Read on...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.