GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Proper Game Testing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 21:01
Regular
Have you ever played a game and just thought that it was a complete and utter toss? A game so bad, it COULDN’T have any less originality or creativity? Like it was created by a "Random-o-game" machine? Boy, after seeing the plethora of crappy games over the past year, I think game companies really need to re-think their strategies before releasing, or even basically beginning to develop their games. How, though? Well, who plays the games they make…Gamers, like you and me. We know what excites up, intrigues us, angers us and just develops pure frustration while playing a game. What I'm really getting at here is just one simple, cheap premise. An advanced form of play testing I'd like to all "The Gamer’s Touch." Let me elaborate.

Generally, when a company designs games, either video or computer, there is some play-testing involved, and in a computer game's case, beta testing. Now, both of these methods are flawed, because while a gamer may influence the end product (finding bugs/flaws in a beta product), they have slim to no chance of editing or having a say on the content. Play-testing for videogames isn’t even done by outside gamers either; it’s usually either the companies' own team or an outside consulting firm. My solution is quite simple. Why not grab a few informed gamers before you begin a project, and ask them for input along the way. Things such as plot, dialogue, design, title etc. This way, developers don't lose contact with the obsessed gaming community, and in turn release better products. Now, I'm sure there are thousands of gamers that would readily volunteer their time to be in on a game development project, and thousands more who would accept a pittance for the same job.

Just think: instead of more Daikantas, we’d get more Sacrifices and Baldur's Gates. Interestingly enough, both are designed by Interplay, a company that employees people who are gamers. If that isn't a good idea, then here's my second. Grab a group of gamers with a lot of free time, and send them out playable builds during the development process. The gamers play the builds, then write down what could be improved, removed, added, expanded etc. It's cheap, easy, and again would create a greater quality and standard of games, rather then cheap cash-ins like Kao the Kangaroo or Tomb Raider 5. I just think that some developers have lost touch with the public. So wrapped up in their egos or profits that they release dredge, which then sells badly - and they wonder why. Such beasts as equels that are exactly the same as the original except for "Multiplayer Additions," or "Hidden Features." Tip to developers - We want new, original titles! Titles like Oni, Deus Ex, Beatmania, Jet Grind Radio… titles that don't follow old trends, but begin new ones. We don't want rehash after rehash of fighting and FPS games! Break some barriers! Take some risks!

It’s strange. Some of the best software doesn't come from massive companies either, but from garage developers and individuals with a passion. I remember back in 1997 when Sony released the "Net Yaroze," where for about $600 you could buy a special development kit and design your own PS games! But, due to the cost and complexity, it didn't really take off. The main point here is that Sony gave gamers the chance to create work that they could build on, and be proud of….like a starting point. I remember they used to place the best of the submitted Net Yaroze work on the Offical PSX Mag CDs the UK, where thousands of people could demo their work. One game in particular, Terranigma was what I think it was called, was developed by a Japanese garage development group. And it was amazing. A full RPG with story, puzzle, adventure and battle elements. Readers were so impressed that they thought it was a full game demo! The expertise and skill that is just waiting to be unleashed is incredible. I think nearly every hardcore gamer wants to create, but they just don't know how.

Kudos to Microsoft! Why? Because of the introduction of their Xbox Independent Developers and Incubator Programs. According to them, "History has proven that great games can come from anywhere, and we want to establish an environment in which gifted game designers, regardless of their resources, have the opportunity to realize their creative visions through Xbox." They will send out full development kits to those who qualify for one, and will actually help license and release games made by these people. Fantastic. If only more companies could involve this type of interactivity and opportunity, we'd have some of the best gaming in decades.

Overall, the industry needs a real turnover. The Internet is the biggest communication infrastructure designed by man, ever. So, if there’s ever been a better time to communicate and query the masses, it's now. We want better quality games! So you better be listening, or we'll stop buying!

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o
Sat 22/12/01 at 00:20
Regular
o(^_^)o wrote:
Thanks for
> Reading,

LOL!
pob,you kill me
Fri 21/12/01 at 23:01
"Uzi Lover"
o(^_^)o wrote:
Kudos to Microsoft! Why? Because of the
> introduction of their Xbox Independent Developers and Incubator Programs.
> According to them, "History has proven that great games can come from
> anywhere, and we want to establish an environment in which gifted game
> designers, regardless of their resources, have the opportunity to realize their
> creative visions through Xbox." They will send out full development kits to
> those who qualify for one, and will actually help license and release games made
> by these people.

Hmmmmmmmmm that's a exellent tatic by Microsoft and I fully support them on that one :-)

Everyday something sways my mind from Gamecube to XBox grrrr. I'm just afraid the XBox will have games like on the PSO realeased in their masses. Nintendo have done me good in the past :-)

The internet is used for beta testing these days. Basically games (mostly online games) which are being developed are listed by a company on a site (I had oen before forgot it now) and people are allowed to tes tthe game and report back problems etc. They also get a sneak peek by doing this. They send you a CD or there is a big hefty download.
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:01
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Have you ever played a game and just thought that it was a complete and utter toss? A game so bad, it COULDN’T have any less originality or creativity? Like it was created by a "Random-o-game" machine? Boy, after seeing the plethora of crappy games over the past year, I think game companies really need to re-think their strategies before releasing, or even basically beginning to develop their games. How, though? Well, who plays the games they make…Gamers, like you and me. We know what excites up, intrigues us, angers us and just develops pure frustration while playing a game. What I'm really getting at here is just one simple, cheap premise. An advanced form of play testing I'd like to all "The Gamer’s Touch." Let me elaborate.

Generally, when a company designs games, either video or computer, there is some play-testing involved, and in a computer game's case, beta testing. Now, both of these methods are flawed, because while a gamer may influence the end product (finding bugs/flaws in a beta product), they have slim to no chance of editing or having a say on the content. Play-testing for videogames isn’t even done by outside gamers either; it’s usually either the companies' own team or an outside consulting firm. My solution is quite simple. Why not grab a few informed gamers before you begin a project, and ask them for input along the way. Things such as plot, dialogue, design, title etc. This way, developers don't lose contact with the obsessed gaming community, and in turn release better products. Now, I'm sure there are thousands of gamers that would readily volunteer their time to be in on a game development project, and thousands more who would accept a pittance for the same job.

Just think: instead of more Daikantas, we’d get more Sacrifices and Baldur's Gates. Interestingly enough, both are designed by Interplay, a company that employees people who are gamers. If that isn't a good idea, then here's my second. Grab a group of gamers with a lot of free time, and send them out playable builds during the development process. The gamers play the builds, then write down what could be improved, removed, added, expanded etc. It's cheap, easy, and again would create a greater quality and standard of games, rather then cheap cash-ins like Kao the Kangaroo or Tomb Raider 5. I just think that some developers have lost touch with the public. So wrapped up in their egos or profits that they release dredge, which then sells badly - and they wonder why. Such beasts as equels that are exactly the same as the original except for "Multiplayer Additions," or "Hidden Features." Tip to developers - We want new, original titles! Titles like Oni, Deus Ex, Beatmania, Jet Grind Radio… titles that don't follow old trends, but begin new ones. We don't want rehash after rehash of fighting and FPS games! Break some barriers! Take some risks!

It’s strange. Some of the best software doesn't come from massive companies either, but from garage developers and individuals with a passion. I remember back in 1997 when Sony released the "Net Yaroze," where for about $600 you could buy a special development kit and design your own PS games! But, due to the cost and complexity, it didn't really take off. The main point here is that Sony gave gamers the chance to create work that they could build on, and be proud of….like a starting point. I remember they used to place the best of the submitted Net Yaroze work on the Offical PSX Mag CDs the UK, where thousands of people could demo their work. One game in particular, Terranigma was what I think it was called, was developed by a Japanese garage development group. And it was amazing. A full RPG with story, puzzle, adventure and battle elements. Readers were so impressed that they thought it was a full game demo! The expertise and skill that is just waiting to be unleashed is incredible. I think nearly every hardcore gamer wants to create, but they just don't know how.

Kudos to Microsoft! Why? Because of the introduction of their Xbox Independent Developers and Incubator Programs. According to them, "History has proven that great games can come from anywhere, and we want to establish an environment in which gifted game designers, regardless of their resources, have the opportunity to realize their creative visions through Xbox." They will send out full development kits to those who qualify for one, and will actually help license and release games made by these people. Fantastic. If only more companies could involve this type of interactivity and opportunity, we'd have some of the best gaming in decades.

Overall, the industry needs a real turnover. The Internet is the biggest communication infrastructure designed by man, ever. So, if there’s ever been a better time to communicate and query the masses, it's now. We want better quality games! So you better be listening, or we'll stop buying!

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.