GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why we're all cheating!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 14:28
Regular
In the last few months the FOG prime topics forum has been buzzing with arguments over 2D and 3D games being better or worse, harder or easier one little factor has been missed.

Remember running through a 2D platformer jumping ontop of stuff so it would go 'POOF'and make a little white cloud. Everybody seems to think these games were harder and that is was a accomplishment to complete them while now it is expected. One thing changed this SAVE GAMES, now you can just save before the hard bit and then just play it until you get past it in perfect condition and with all your items.

Saving your progress means you don't have to go through in one go making it easier and givig you unlimited continues.
Saving games has ruined the difficulty nothing else, saving a game is cheating.

Etila
Fri 21/12/01 at 14:28
In the last few months the FOG prime topics forum has been buzzing with arguments over 2D and 3D games being better or worse, harder or easier one little factor has been missed.

Remember running through a 2D platformer jumping ontop of stuff so it would go 'POOF'and make a little white cloud. Everybody seems to think these games were harder and that is was a accomplishment to complete them while now it is expected. One thing changed this SAVE GAMES, now you can just save before the hard bit and then just play it until you get past it in perfect condition and with all your items.

Saving your progress means you don't have to go through in one go making it easier and givig you unlimited continues.
Saving games has ruined the difficulty nothing else, saving a game is cheating.

Etila
Fri 21/12/01 at 16:42
Regular
I wouldn't go as far as saying that "saving your game anywhere is cheating", but I do miss the days when you had to battle through a level in one go.
This is why I like games that still use this form of structure - like "Jet Set Radio".... (is it me, or is JSR the greatest game of all time? - fun, addictive and sweet as a sherbert lemon.)
Fri 21/12/01 at 22:49
Regular
Saving the game is part of it, but even with the save option in the likes of Mario World, it was still generally harder than modern games.

The other part is the fact that it was much easier to die back then.
It's so difficult to die in most modern games, or atleast if you can easily die, there's no real punishment so it's as if you hadn't died.

No sense of danger really...
Sat 22/12/01 at 00:18
Regular
Yeah, in the old mario games you could only be hit twice before you would die. Whereas now you can be hit about 6 times before you get anywhere close to dying, and extra energy is very easy to find. A stupid example would going into a pool of water with half your energy...once you you go underwater, your energy level starts to fall, but as soon as you resurface you will have 100% full energy. More than you started with! stupid!
Sat 22/12/01 at 06:38
Wow! That's a good point and you accually made me feel dirty. I have to go take a bath now.
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:35
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I don't think either 2D or 3D is easier... in theory you could make a 2D game today where you could save anywhere.

It's all to do with how developers use the option of 3D. In my mind, too many developers simply use 3D gaming without any thought... so many games don't even warrant an extar dimension, and many more keep the same 2D gameplay anyway!

Saying that, it's a tough world for publishers.... how can they possible advertise a 2D game!

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:51
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Yeah, in the old mario games you could only be hit twice before you would die.
> Whereas now you can be hit about 6 times before you get anywhere close to dying,
> and extra energy is very easy to find. A stupid example would going into a pool
> of water with half your energy...once you you go underwater, your energy level
> starts to fall, but as soon as you resurface you will have 100% full energy.
> More than you started with! stupid!

That's one reason why I enjoyed Crash Bandicoot so much.
It had all the classic nostalgic elements of 2D platformers like the 1 hit kills and how if you lose a life, you go back to the beginning of the level, and if you lose all your lives then you go back to the last.

It combined that with a neat 3D twist.

And despite the technology being primitive, by making the background 2D sprites (which looked good), they could put more polygons into Crash making him look smooth and well animated.

And even though it's a first generation Playstation title, it looks much nicer than a few of the PS2 titles around...

Naughty Dog are a great games company.
It's a pity they sold themselves to The Devil... sorry, I mean Sony. ;-D
Sat 22/12/01 at 19:29
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
I don't think it's particularly fair to say that saving a game is cheating. Could you play through Final Fantasy 7,8 or 9 without saving? I quote the back of the manual when I say this "Get a memory card - try playing through Final Fantasy without it!".

To a certain extent, I agree that saving is cheating. Younger gamers, who are naive to the world, would never save a game - because they are just looking for 10 minutes worth of fun. As gamers get older, they get more serious and they get more difficult games etc and so the neccessary purchases are made. Some people will always be a bit of a cheater, and save just before the big boss battle (including myself), but that's their life and you can't control them.

Etila, can you honestly say to my face that you've never saved a game in your life?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.