GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fox News Report on the Console War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 11:39
Regular
My dad was flicking through the TV channels last night when we turned onto Fox News, who were reporting about the console wars. There was a live feed to Nintendo headquarters, where one of the powers that be would talk for a moment.

The report began with the reporter asking why they think Nintendo are better than the competition. The representative said that price is a main factor. We then cut to a "tale of the tape", as far as prices are concerned.

- Playstation 2 is $499.99 (about £350) with 6 games and 2 controllers in America.

- X-Box is $499.99 with 3 games and 2 controllers.

- GameCube is $399.99 (about £250) with 2 controllers.

Ah, I felt like shouting "Where's the games though!?". The rep then went on to talk about all the support they are recieving from developers and that they feel that everyone is behind them.

It was only a 4 minute report, but it shed some more light on prices, so I was quite pleased. However, what the Nintendo rep said I can only take with a pinch of salt, because I think that in the end, Microsoft will walk out victorious with the title of THE console to get. Sure, GC may have support, they may be cheaper, but Microsoft have learnt from their mistakes quicker than most. You may as well rule out PS2 from winning, as it is already well out of date and overshadowed by the next generation consoles. Shiggy Miyamoto .vs. Bill Gates - Gamecube .vs. X-Box.

Who will win?
Fri 21/12/01 at 11:39
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
My dad was flicking through the TV channels last night when we turned onto Fox News, who were reporting about the console wars. There was a live feed to Nintendo headquarters, where one of the powers that be would talk for a moment.

The report began with the reporter asking why they think Nintendo are better than the competition. The representative said that price is a main factor. We then cut to a "tale of the tape", as far as prices are concerned.

- Playstation 2 is $499.99 (about £350) with 6 games and 2 controllers in America.

- X-Box is $499.99 with 3 games and 2 controllers.

- GameCube is $399.99 (about £250) with 2 controllers.

Ah, I felt like shouting "Where's the games though!?". The rep then went on to talk about all the support they are recieving from developers and that they feel that everyone is behind them.

It was only a 4 minute report, but it shed some more light on prices, so I was quite pleased. However, what the Nintendo rep said I can only take with a pinch of salt, because I think that in the end, Microsoft will walk out victorious with the title of THE console to get. Sure, GC may have support, they may be cheaper, but Microsoft have learnt from their mistakes quicker than most. You may as well rule out PS2 from winning, as it is already well out of date and overshadowed by the next generation consoles. Shiggy Miyamoto .vs. Bill Gates - Gamecube .vs. X-Box.

Who will win?
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:00
Regular
Salevaa wrote:- GameCube is $399.99 (about £250) with 2
> controllers.

The controllers are £200 each?!?!

The Gamecube (with one controller) is £199.99, those extra controllers must be damn expensive!! :-D

I'd heard of controllers being rationed because of shortages but this takes the biscuit.

I think that someone has made a typing error.

Either you or Fox network.

I somehow doubt that people are shelling out £200 for an extra controller...
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:10
Regular
You may as well rule the PS2 out already???

Hmmm, all the souting just now is about the sales figures for the new console, just a good time to add the reminder of over 20 million PS2s sold worldwide, surely that number of consoles can't just be ignored, not even by a Ninty....

:D
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:54
Regular
PS2 has won already there is no chance of the other consoles catching up with it because people are still bying PS2s just a much as they were last year.
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:03
Regular
"pob, the originator"
The PS2 has lost? Well, no. Already 20 million units have been sold as well as having loads of amazing games: Jak and Daxter, THPS3, Devil May Cry, SSX Tricky.........

The PS2 has won as it will have been out 18 months by March aswell as it having the biggest licences and games in 2002. I can't believe how people think Ninty has any chance with their purple cube. It's between Microsoft and Sony as they have teh best variety of genres on offer to the gamer - not all platforms and furry animals.
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:35
Regular
o(^_^)o wrote:

I can't believe how
> people think Ninty has any chance with their purple cube. It's between
> Microsoft and Sony as they have teh best variety of genres on offer to the gamer
> - not all platforms and furry animals.

I can't believe you think you know what you're talking about.
Besides the fact that the Gamecube has plenty of those "adult" games you like to own as it makes you feel so "grown up", those platformers aren't kiddie games either.

That fact that all these PS2 owners, who labelled Mario et al as kids games, are now raving over the Nintendo style cartoony platformer Jak and Daxter, just proves that all this "Nintendo for kids" was a load of anti Nintendo bias!

We told you that cartoony platformers were just as challenging and enjoyable for adults! We told you oh so many times!
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I haven't got any consoles :(

:D

LOL
Sat 22/12/01 at 13:42
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well said Strafex.

I have a PS2 now and not one person in the PS2 forum (or anywhere for that matter) has complained about Jak & Daxter being too childish.

Games like J&D, Mario and Banjo may have cartoony graphics and characters but give a 3 year old a pad and Banjo Kazzoie and see how far they get!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.