GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Timeline"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/12/01 at 12:52
Regular
Can you remember when Home Entertainment Systems began? Do you know how vast the console industry has grown over the last 10 years? Well…I greup on those revolutionary consoles. Many say that Atari started it all, some prove it was Nintendo. But I did some research, I gathered some information together, I adapted from it, creating my own words. So this is what I have to say on the matter…

In the late Eighties, Nintendo and Sony kind of merged, hoping to produce a CD-ROM drive for the Super Nintendo console. It was going to be a new revolution for the gaming industry, but after Sony became more involved with the project, they decided to make it on their own to the wonderful console world we live in today. So the companies split the project, and introduced their own products to the market in their own way. Nintendo with the NES console, and even Sega, with their 16-bit Meagadrive, which was also twice the power and graphical capabilities as that of the Nintendo Entertainment System. As for Sony, well…you shall see in 1993 – please read on…

1994 - Sony approaches the gaming industry with the PlayStation. This was a highly anticipated machine that everyone wanted to own, not matter what the price tag was. And regarding the price tag – WOW! If I can focus for a second...okay. I believe it was £300. Quite pricey for a 32-bit machine don’t you think? But then again, we never had anything better those days, so the PlayStation then, was like the PS2 today. Ah yes…the PlayStation 2 – This makes quite a standing point for Sony. If you prefer to move to this topic, please direct your attention to November 2000.

1996 – Sony sells over 7.2 million PlayStation units worldwide, and still growing rapidly... - Nothing more to say. (laughs)

1998 – The Sega Dreamcast - The world’s first 128-bit console. This was a huge leap for Sega, what with their last console being 16-bit and everything. I guess you can’t really class Sega’s 32-X or The SEGA Mega CD as a console, since they were only add-ons to the Megadrive, and also quite a flop.

September 1999 – Sony’s new revolutionary console has finally been given a name – The PlayStation 2.

November 2000 – The PS2 finally makes its way to Europe (first class). Between its November 24th release and XMAS, 200,000 lucky people got their hands on Sony’s new sleek machine…the PlayStation 2.

This was just the beginning, until the next time...
Thu 20/12/01 at 15:43
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
If you want a reason to get the XBOX, it will have to be because of Halo, thanks to Bungie. It's an exclusive title to advertise Microsoft's new machine. It will only show on PS2 and GC if it becomes large on the XBOX, and that, I know it will.
Even DOA3 is an exclusive. That there, is another reason to get the XBOX. Although, I would never pre-order a console ever again, because many compnanies will soon be selling amazing packages of them at bargain prices. Special Reserve for exmaple.
Thu 20/12/01 at 14:09
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
When I get to play them, then I'll decide if I want them. I wont pre-order either of them just on the promise that they'll be good.
I did pre-order a PS2, but that's because Sony have gained my trust. Nintendo and Microsoft need to prove to me their consoles are great. They haven't done that yet.
All it will take for me to buy one is for a must-have game to appear, where nothing like could be created on the PS2.

I don't think I'm as 'hardcore' as I used to be though... There was a time when I absolutely would have bought all three. Guess I'm just more careful with my money.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:57
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Do you intend to buy any of the other next-gen consoles?
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:56
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> GCube will surpass the PS2 easily. A 'console' dedicated to the mainstream can't
> hold out forever.

Why not? Surely the 'mainstream' is where most of the potential market is? Also, I am a hardcore gamer, and I bought a PS2.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Shadow Demon wrote:
> Armatige Shanks wrote:
But... It was Atari???
:)

It was ATARI, but Nintendo
> made the first console that supported proper graphics. I belive the term is
> "sprites", first used for the characters shown in games such as,
> Street Fighter.

That was Atari too :)
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
GCube will surpass the PS2 easily. A 'console' dedicated to the mainstream can't hold out forever.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:36
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
GC sold 500,000 in its first week of release in USA
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:04
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
But... It was Atari???

It was ATARI, but Nintendo made the first console that supported proper graphics. I belive the term is "sprites", first used for the characters shown in games such as, Street Fighter.
Thu 20/12/01 at 12:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Shadow Demon wrote:
> Many say that Atari started it all, some prove it was
> Nintendo.

But... It was Atari???
Thu 20/12/01 at 12:52
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
Can you remember when Home Entertainment Systems began? Do you know how vast the console industry has grown over the last 10 years? Well…I greup on those revolutionary consoles. Many say that Atari started it all, some prove it was Nintendo. But I did some research, I gathered some information together, I adapted from it, creating my own words. So this is what I have to say on the matter…

In the late Eighties, Nintendo and Sony kind of merged, hoping to produce a CD-ROM drive for the Super Nintendo console. It was going to be a new revolution for the gaming industry, but after Sony became more involved with the project, they decided to make it on their own to the wonderful console world we live in today. So the companies split the project, and introduced their own products to the market in their own way. Nintendo with the NES console, and even Sega, with their 16-bit Meagadrive, which was also twice the power and graphical capabilities as that of the Nintendo Entertainment System. As for Sony, well…you shall see in 1993 – please read on…

1994 - Sony approaches the gaming industry with the PlayStation. This was a highly anticipated machine that everyone wanted to own, not matter what the price tag was. And regarding the price tag – WOW! If I can focus for a second...okay. I believe it was £300. Quite pricey for a 32-bit machine don’t you think? But then again, we never had anything better those days, so the PlayStation then, was like the PS2 today. Ah yes…the PlayStation 2 – This makes quite a standing point for Sony. If you prefer to move to this topic, please direct your attention to November 2000.

1996 – Sony sells over 7.2 million PlayStation units worldwide, and still growing rapidly... - Nothing more to say. (laughs)

1998 – The Sega Dreamcast - The world’s first 128-bit console. This was a huge leap for Sega, what with their last console being 16-bit and everything. I guess you can’t really class Sega’s 32-X or The SEGA Mega CD as a console, since they were only add-ons to the Megadrive, and also quite a flop.

September 1999 – Sony’s new revolutionary console has finally been given a name – The PlayStation 2.

November 2000 – The PS2 finally makes its way to Europe (first class). Between its November 24th release and XMAS, 200,000 lucky people got their hands on Sony’s new sleek machine…the PlayStation 2.

This was just the beginning, until the next time...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.