GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A new console!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/03/03 at 20:53
Regular
Why not just make a console with the ability to change the graphics card.

Like a pc for instance.
Mon 26/04/04 at 18:42
Regular
When developing for PC, developers are always faced with a problem - do they make a game that can be played on lower-spec machines of which there are more of, or do they use every single trick possible to make the graphics awe-inspiring and only let 2% of the gaming public play them? They need to find a balance as they want their games to look impressive but they also need to cater for the majority of the community.

Years ago this wasn't a problem as the bottom spec was say a P75 with 8mb RAM, and the top spec a P166 with 32mb RAM. Not much between them. Today the range is a lot wider - P2 233mhz with 96mb RAM maybe, all the way up to the latest Athlon64 with 2Gb+ RAM and the latest 256mb graphics card. Finding a balance is therefore pretty difficult.

On the other hand, developing for a console allows a uniform approach as you know everyone that has an Xbox/PS2/Gamecube has the same spec. as everyone else. So they can concentrate on getting the most out of that specification and not worry about any lower specifications.

It's also a benefit to the user to own a console. Because developers never try to push a game over their machine's specification (for the above reason), you know that when you buy a game for your console that it will work and it will not tell you to go out and buy additional RAM.

Consoles are therefore better off as they are without being upgradable. As for the Phantom console which *is* apparently upgradable, only buy one if you want to constantly upgrade it a la PC.
Sun 25/04/04 at 20:49
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
also why put a NEW console in the ClASSIC games thread?
souldn't it be in FOG chat or prime?
Sun 25/04/04 at 20:45
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Melancholy wrote:
> So a P.C without the good things of a P.C?

let this man, Melancholy rest in peace, with his name set in solid stone.

so i think changing G-C would be god but they would never allow such things, as you would need the minimum spec etc basically it would be a pc that connects to your tv, (which is already possible) so although a good idea prehaps not practical
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:45
Regular
Gin Soaked Shanks wrote:
> I Recantly bought a game for PC but my graphics card needed ONE more MB of RAM for it to work. I had to take it back.

Windows sometimes reports these things wrongly. CPU speed and/or RAM can sometimes be +/- 2% so needing 1mb extra would have been down to that. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be 1mb short of a recommended specification.

It's possible to get 12 by having 4+8, so I guess you have at least 2 RAM sticks or maybe 3 (4+4+4). Either way, 12mb is easy to obtain.
Tue 27/05/03 at 07:56
Regular
"8==="
my RISC PC has 12MB of ram. That's pretty weird
Mon 26/05/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Morius wrote:
> So your saying a PC where your able to change the Graphics Card? That
> would be GREAT!! I Recantly bought a game for PC but my graphics card
> needed ONE more MB of RAM for it to work. I had to take it back. I got
> Stuntman for PS2 instead. Great game.

What the hell freakish graphics card do you have? - Graphics card memory tends in increment in doubles - 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128-etc...

If a game says it needs 63MB, its just a cheesy way of saying it needs a 64MB graphics card... wither that or your you have a strange card config bud?
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:22
Regular
the compatibility is not an issue because it is their console they do what they want with it officially

the real issue is simply that game producers may cater for hte new cards only .. but then again look at the gameboy colour .. a lot of games are made for the GBC to work for the DMG except for the advanced ones that need more memory

that is a good idea though .. but i doubt it would ever happen
Sun 25/05/03 at 11:04
Regular
"Chris Morris"
So your saying a PC where your able to change the Graphics Card? That would be GREAT!! I Recantly bought a game for PC but my graphics card needed ONE more MB of RAM for it to work. I had to take it back. I got Stuntman for PS2 instead. Great game.
Sat 24/05/03 at 23:25
"I love yo... lamp."
Continual development costs. If Sony for example made the PS3 have upgradable graphics cards, they would have to fund making new ones. Then you would get a situation like with PCs where you have to meet a minimum spec. Also you would get someone who would make their own card for it and then everything would end up incompatible. And the beauty of a console is that they are simple.
Sun 16/03/03 at 22:48
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
So a P.C without the good things of a P.C?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.