GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/07/07 at 15:27
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Hello!

Some of you may remember me from the SR days, I’m presuming most of you won’t!

So for any old friends, hello again, and for all the new people…erm…hello too!

Back in the day I use to be an avid Sony fan, these days I mainly spend my time on the PC, or my 2 month old 360.

Trouble is, now having left University, stumbling into the real world kicking and screaming and having a full time job, I seem to have lost the knack of making use of the 360 or using my PC as a gaming machine, and I can’t understand why!

Obviously my lack of as much free time now doesn’t help. Coming home from work and heading down the pub doesn’t help either. But when I do get the chance, the old enthusiasm just isn’t there anymore. Nothing impresses me as it once did, not even the new silky smooth graphics, or the hundreds of characters that can now live on my screen at anyone time and so on.

Games such as Saints Row and Oblivion are what first attracted me to the 360, and I thoroughly enjoyed them for some time too. But they didn’t hold my attention for long and I couldn’t help feeling its all been done before, only now it’s slightly prettier. I still haven’t completed these games, or the likes of Dead Rising, and I can’t get into Forza 2 yet. I’m missing some sort of love I use to have for gaming.

I’m still yet to truly embrace playing online with my 360 after the month trail period ran out. I liked the idea of playing other people online, perhaps having regular friends to play against. Perhaps if I spent more time online that would happen, but the problem is again a time constraint. I don’t play online that much, and when I do its short blasts on Pro Evo and the likes.

Another reason I believe my relationship with the 360 hasn’t quite kicked off yet, is World of Warcraft. I stopped playing this in November 2005, having spent the best part of 8 months on it. At the time, it was amazing and gave me some of the best gaming memories I have ever had. I left the game at the time as I had hit a wall in my progress, and it was taking up a worrying amount of time (I had a lot more free time then, being at Uni).

Having quit, I have never experienced the highs of gaming I had in WoW. Regularly I feel like having a month back, to see what its like to be back again. I haven’t done so yet, but I can’t help feel it’s only a matter of time. The only thing stopping me is the fact the expansion came out and I will feel like there is too much to catch up on, and get sucked in all over again.

The year I had on WoW I think may have damaged my gaming philosophy and what I look for in a game. A lot of the games I now play, I often find myself comparing to WoW (apart from sport games ect obviously). I believe that may be the reason why I have no enthusiasm for gaming anymore, yet the strange thing is, I WANT to enjoy gaming on a console again, and being able to pick up and play when I want is probably the best sort of gaming available to me now

However, with the likes of Oblivion and Dead Rising (the sort of game I always once enjoyed) aren’t created for a pick up and play type of gamer. You need time and dedication, something I have lost.

I’m hoping over time I will be able to appreciate my 360. I have GTA4 and Alan Wake pre-ordered, perhaps they will enough to save me so long as I give them a chance.

But for the time being it seems, I’m trying to settle into adult life, and a year and a half on, still seem to be recovering from my WoW addiction.

So my parting question is…am I the only one with this problem, or are there a few of us?
Thu 05/07/07 at 11:00
Regular
I do remember you Ocelot...beating you back on MGS!

From SR...I remember you also.

Hello!

Cowada! I demand a rematch, just as soon as I buy my Live membership.
Thu 05/07/07 at 10:28
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
I'm 13, so can't help you, but if through some miracle you remember me....hello.
Wed 04/07/07 at 13:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Pro Evo wrote:
> I think that one time you beat me, just, on PES6 perhaps sent me
> over the edge.
>
> Still not recovered :(

pah "just" i was all over you, destroyed your team and your confidence. I am kingggggggggg
Wed 04/07/07 at 10:17
"possibly impossible"
Ah, to have time to play.

It's just so difficult with kids around, you can only play when they've gone to bed or are out (but then I'm usually at work).

I still get time to play games, mostly when friends come around and I can have longer gaming sessions with them, but I've noticed my skills decreasing as I play less as well, which is depressing in itself!
Wed 04/07/07 at 08:28
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
>>
> Overall, if you're a gamer, you never really lose your interest
> or addiction for gaming but you will go through the doldrums
> where nothing decent is getting released and everything new is
> just a rehash of games you've played before.

That is true, for all the time I havent touched a console or game, I have always kept an interest in the goings on, which ended up in my buying a 360.

I don't think I will ever play games like I use to, but then thats just the transition in my life and something I will have to deal with. I'm sure my 360 will get plenty of use yet.
Tue 03/07/07 at 18:06
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I had the same dilemma when I was working and had to give up on my FFXI marathons, but WoW was a godsend because of its pick-up and put-downability, so easy to play in little chunks as compared to FFXI, the main reason being its soloability.

When I had the lack of time problem I found that diversifying my gaming interests led to me finding lots of games that could be enjoyed in 2 or 3 hour bursts rather than 8 hour sessions, WoW was one of them and I got interested in shooters and racers for a while, but offline RPGs like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Diablo, Star Ocean and even Final Fantasy were a real boon. It wasn't that I'd lost my interest in gaming, it was just that I hadn't been able to find any games to fit in with my current lifestyle.

In the end I decided that I had gaming in the blood and that was what I wanted to do and how I wanted to spend my time, so saved up, kicked regular 9-5 jobs in the head and shunned an outgoing lifestyle, now I just work as and when I need the money.

In terms of MMORPGs they're a different class of game entirely because unlike offline games everything you do in MMORPGs can be scrutinised by your gaming peers and there's the whole social aspect to take into consideration. But these days Microsoft's Achievements system and other equivalents is kinda the same thing, but for offline. Just ask Hedfix. Every achievement he's ever attained in his 360 gaming career is visible to the entire gaming community as long as they know where to look for it.

On the downside, nothing beats ganking that lippy git who annoyed you earlier, which is where WoW excels, but if you look around you'll be able to find other MMORPGs that offer equivalent experiences which are less time-intensive. PSU on the 360 might be worth a look in your case - totally soloable, much faster in parties, can do it in short or long bursts for £6 a month but no PvP. Guild Wars might be a better alternative, my nephew plays it from time to time (he's 13, at school, never has enough time for games) and I'm surprised at the quality of it. The major plus is there's no subscription so you don't feel obligated to play it all the time to get your money's worth unlike most subscription-based games.

Overall, if you're a gamer, you never really lose your interest or addiction for gaming but you will go through the doldrums where nothing decent is getting released and everything new is just a rehash of games you've played before. Then a game comes along like Enchanted Arms (360) or Dragon Quest 8 (PS2) that reignites your dormant passion, reminds you why you love gaming and makes you wonder what all the fuss was about.

The next games for me are Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. Meantime I'm pfaffing around maxing out stats in Enchanted Arms, doing the odd online race in Forza 2 towards my 'Million online credits' achievement and trying to shoot straight in Rainbow Six Vegas (offline, never bothered trying it online although the multiplayer demo was a great blast).

I've been gaming for over 25 years now, if there are still games that I can look foward to after all this time there's probably still some hope for you Pro Evo.
Tue 03/07/07 at 16:03
Regular
I think that one time you beat me, just, on PES6 perhaps sent me over the edge.

Still not recovered :(
Tue 03/07/07 at 15:54
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
out you trouble maker :-)

I had it a few months back where i seemed to lose interest in gaming, i just wasn't interested in playing games and thought i was growing up. Lasted about a month or so but since then i've been back into gaming. I guess you just get bored and need a break occasionally to get the interest back
Tue 03/07/07 at 15:27
Regular
Hello!

Some of you may remember me from the SR days, I’m presuming most of you won’t!

So for any old friends, hello again, and for all the new people…erm…hello too!

Back in the day I use to be an avid Sony fan, these days I mainly spend my time on the PC, or my 2 month old 360.

Trouble is, now having left University, stumbling into the real world kicking and screaming and having a full time job, I seem to have lost the knack of making use of the 360 or using my PC as a gaming machine, and I can’t understand why!

Obviously my lack of as much free time now doesn’t help. Coming home from work and heading down the pub doesn’t help either. But when I do get the chance, the old enthusiasm just isn’t there anymore. Nothing impresses me as it once did, not even the new silky smooth graphics, or the hundreds of characters that can now live on my screen at anyone time and so on.

Games such as Saints Row and Oblivion are what first attracted me to the 360, and I thoroughly enjoyed them for some time too. But they didn’t hold my attention for long and I couldn’t help feeling its all been done before, only now it’s slightly prettier. I still haven’t completed these games, or the likes of Dead Rising, and I can’t get into Forza 2 yet. I’m missing some sort of love I use to have for gaming.

I’m still yet to truly embrace playing online with my 360 after the month trail period ran out. I liked the idea of playing other people online, perhaps having regular friends to play against. Perhaps if I spent more time online that would happen, but the problem is again a time constraint. I don’t play online that much, and when I do its short blasts on Pro Evo and the likes.

Another reason I believe my relationship with the 360 hasn’t quite kicked off yet, is World of Warcraft. I stopped playing this in November 2005, having spent the best part of 8 months on it. At the time, it was amazing and gave me some of the best gaming memories I have ever had. I left the game at the time as I had hit a wall in my progress, and it was taking up a worrying amount of time (I had a lot more free time then, being at Uni).

Having quit, I have never experienced the highs of gaming I had in WoW. Regularly I feel like having a month back, to see what its like to be back again. I haven’t done so yet, but I can’t help feel it’s only a matter of time. The only thing stopping me is the fact the expansion came out and I will feel like there is too much to catch up on, and get sucked in all over again.

The year I had on WoW I think may have damaged my gaming philosophy and what I look for in a game. A lot of the games I now play, I often find myself comparing to WoW (apart from sport games ect obviously). I believe that may be the reason why I have no enthusiasm for gaming anymore, yet the strange thing is, I WANT to enjoy gaming on a console again, and being able to pick up and play when I want is probably the best sort of gaming available to me now

However, with the likes of Oblivion and Dead Rising (the sort of game I always once enjoyed) aren’t created for a pick up and play type of gamer. You need time and dedication, something I have lost.

I’m hoping over time I will be able to appreciate my 360. I have GTA4 and Alan Wake pre-ordered, perhaps they will enough to save me so long as I give them a chance.

But for the time being it seems, I’m trying to settle into adult life, and a year and a half on, still seem to be recovering from my WoW addiction.

So my parting question is…am I the only one with this problem, or are there a few of us?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.