GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How can I reduce noise margin on my ADSL line???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/09/11 at 13:57
Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new ADSL router, the Billion 6800n, this had brilliant reviews across the internet, so I though I'd try it out. My old router kept crashing when there were too many wi-fi devices connected to it.

Unfortunately, the Billion turned out to be a pile a junk and has caused nothing but stability problems with my ADSL connection with Freeola. Forever loosing sync and connections. In the end I went back to my old router, made by Belkin.

Now here's the problem, before I installed the Billion, my line always sync'd at 8128 up and 832 down and was always rock solid. Since then, I cannot get my line to sync any better than 5600 down (the upstream is still 832). Also, I noticed since that the noise margin has jumped from a steady 6 to 15.

Is there anything I can do get the noise margin to drop back to 6 and get the upstream sync at 8128 again.

One final thing, ever since I was upgraded to ADSL max, my line has always sync'd at 8128 downstream.

Anyway help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Terry.
Mon 12/09/11 at 09:48
"Are you sure?"
Glad to hear things are already improving.

It is strange though as the Billion is often referred to as the 'new speedtouch' etc. This is what I use (ST585v6) on my longish (51db) 20CN line.

Your line is obviously a good quality shortish one with a normal full 8128 sync - so router choice shouldn't be so important for you.

Perhaps you've either been unlucky and got a bad router or it's being upset by something else. Router and Exchange(DSLAM) chipsets may not be compatible for you perhaps - but as I said with a good line you can normally get away with a wet piece of string!

NB. Matching chipsets aren't necessarily the best - which you would think would be a good thing. My router uses Broadcom and my exchange Texas Instruments. If I use a matching AR7 'TI' chipset things are dead loss for me.

If you are now back to your original wifi problems you could think about getting a wireless access point. This means you keep the router that works well on your line and hopefully gives you a way of improving your wifi issue.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 12/09/11 at 08:32
Hi Hmmm...

Thanks for your reply :)

With regards to the Billion 7800n, you're correct, it has been getting great reviews. They are what inspired me to purchase one.

I can only assume these fantastic reviews are from people who are on 21cn networks and ADSL2 lines. It was absolutely useless on my phone line. Constantly losing adsl sync and at times simply wouldn't even sync up for several hours.

I changed purely because my old router (Belkin) kept falling over and letting it's Wi-Fi die when I had too many wi-fi devices connected to it. Very annoying as had to do a reboot to get it working again. If I connected a device using the Eternet to the router during this wi-fi collapse, I found the router and internet were still working ok. So this was simply a router wi-fi failing and not any ADSL problems

You are correct in your assumption that I'm on the ye olde worlde 20cn line. A good old fashioned ADSL max 8Mbit line for me :o( I'm in the middle of no where and simply no chance of BT ever upgrading my exchange. (I'm just pleased they installed ADSL to my exchange when they did) until they are either forced to or someone gives them loadsamoney to do so, it wont be upgraded in the foreseeable future. And yes, I'm on Freeola's VIP Business connection. I needed the quicker upload speeds.

I do monitor the stats. I started doing this a couple of years ago when I was with AOL. Every time something went wrong, AOL always blamed my end despite it being them who simply refused to accept they throttled my connection every weekday from 4pm.

Since placing my old Belkin router back on my phone line all seems to be improving again. My connection seems to be stabilising as I noticed this morning that the noise figure had dropped to 12 now and the downstream has increased to 6200kbps. Hopefully over the next few days it will continue to improve.

Terry.
Sat 10/09/11 at 14:38
"Are you sure?"
Hi ukconfederate,
That's odd - as you say the Billion 7800n has been getting great reviews.

Looking at your post history, unless things have changed you are on an olde worlde 20CN exchange like me :¬(

So you were lucky to be getting the maximum 8128 sync before these problems. With that upstream speed it looks like you are on Freeola's Business/VIP package.

Did you get the Billion because you were starting to get issues or did you just fancy a change?

In theory your Target SNRM will drop on it's own if your line is now stable again. It will normally be reduced in 3db steps back to the default 6db giving you your maximum sync.

Do you monitor your line stats? If you do, you should be able to see if things have stabilised.

If you restarted/reconnected your router too many times then BT's systems can think things are unstable and increase your TSNRM, also summer storms are great at messing with this!

The auto TSNRM reduction used to be hit and miss - but in the last few years BT's line management systems seem to be working better - so you may just need to wait a few weeks and things will improve on their own. But you need to be happy your line is running clean for this to happen.

Freeola can ask for this to be manually reduced but this can sometimes be a bit tricky so may be worth seeing what they say.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 10/09/11 at 14:00
Ooops, sorry, I made a typo in my first message, caught the wrong button. It should have said Billion 7800n and not 6800n.
Sat 10/09/11 at 13:57
Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new ADSL router, the Billion 6800n, this had brilliant reviews across the internet, so I though I'd try it out. My old router kept crashing when there were too many wi-fi devices connected to it.

Unfortunately, the Billion turned out to be a pile a junk and has caused nothing but stability problems with my ADSL connection with Freeola. Forever loosing sync and connections. In the end I went back to my old router, made by Belkin.

Now here's the problem, before I installed the Billion, my line always sync'd at 8128 up and 832 down and was always rock solid. Since then, I cannot get my line to sync any better than 5600 down (the upstream is still 832). Also, I noticed since that the noise margin has jumped from a steady 6 to 15.

Is there anything I can do get the noise margin to drop back to 6 and get the upstream sync at 8128 again.

One final thing, ever since I was upgraded to ADSL max, my line has always sync'd at 8128 downstream.

Anyway help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Terry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.