GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sync Freeola IMAP (in Outlook) with Gmail account"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/09/11 at 10:58
Regular
Hi

I will probably explain myself badly here so please accept my apologies in advance... particularly as I think this message is going to be 'overly' longwinded, plus I'm feeling very confused!

Many moons ago it was mentioned on these forums that a good way of keeping a backup of my freeola emails (which I access through Outlook 2003) was to have them copied to a gmail email account. This also had the added bonus that I had an alternative way of accessing my messages and it's worked well... particularly if I've been away from my desk/office.

Today, however, I've changed to the new Freeola IMAP service and after a few hair raising moments seem to have reconfigured my outlook account correctly in that new messages seem to be coming through okay.

That said when I restored all my old messages from the backup pst file (from when I had the POP service) they imported fine but are all in their separate folders (their original format) and don't seem to have transferred into the new IMAP inbox. I'm not sure whether this matters or not. At the moment I have 2 x inboxes. The first inbox is contained within a selection of Personal Folders which hold all my old messages/sub-folders etc. and then under a new heading I have the New IMAP Store (holding only the messages I've received since I made the switch). Please note the main root store cannot be displayed... it's empty. However when I look at the sub-folder inbox my new messages are there.

Question 1: Would you recommend that I cut and paste all my old sub folders/messages from the old Personal Folders into the new IMAP inbox. I don't seem to be able to actually import them in other than by doing it manually e.g. create new folders in the IMAP inbox and copy and pasting in the old messages.

Question 2: When looking at my gmail email account I only seem to have all the messages that were received up until the point I transferred to IMAP e.g. no new messages are being retrieved. I've changed gmail's settings to enable IMAP but my new messages are still not coming through. Is there something I'm missing e.g. another setting I need to tweak in gmail so that new messages start arriving in the inbox... or is this no longer possible?

Question 3: I'm not sure I understand IMAP sufficiently... but does the fact that my emails are now stored permanently on Freeola's own servers... does this then negate the need to have a copy on gmail. Am I being overcautious. Could Freeola ever lose all the emails if their own mail servers got corrupted?

I think it will be a brave man or woman who trys to answer that lot... but if anyone can help me get to grips with the above I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Laura
Sat 10/09/11 at 09:29
Staff
I believe Hmmm is correct that you cannot do a mail fetch against IMAP on Gmail.

You might be better setting up some mail rules in Outlook to copy any new mails into a local folder on your machine if you want an extra protection. I presume (though haven't tested it) that you could probably do the same with your Gmail account (put a rule in that copies your mail to Gmail's server).

We have invested a fair amount of time and money in protecting and backing up the mail on the servers, so we believe your mail should be safe, but no system is perfect, and having an extra backup of having the mail locally, gives you some protection from you accidentally deleting mails that you want to keep.
Fri 09/09/11 at 12:11
"Are you sure?"
Sounds like you are getting there.

Change Gmail back to pop and see if you can set things up as you did before using the new Freeola mail server address.

I would have thought this would still work - but there's a chance something's not compatible.

EDIT: Thinking about it I don't think 'Mail Fetching' with Gmail will work like this for you with your IMAP account.

I should have mentioned I'm also a believer in if it's not broken leave well alone... ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 09/09/11 at 12:06
Regular
Hi Hmmm,

Thank you!

Re Gmail IMAP. Still struggling.

If I go to my settings... Forwarding & Pop/IMAP... I've got IMAP access enabled. POP access no longer has any checkmarks against it.

If I then look at the Accounts and Import Tab I can't see anything for checking mail in IMAP. The only thing that's there is checking mail in POP3 but I thought this would be redundant now.

If I do go to edit info for checking mail with POP3, a popup box appears with Edit Mail Account. Do I need to alter this info even though I'm not using POP anymore?

If I look at popup settings, whereas it currently says something like sr0623XXX-001 should I now replace that with xxxxxxxxx-co-uk.freeolamail.net.

Then I get confused cos it asked for POP Server. At the moment it says mail.freeola.net, but presumably that needs to change too... but what to?

What have I gotten myself into!

Laura
Fri 09/09/11 at 11:27
"Are you sure?"
Hi Laura,
I'll have a go! - cherry picking the easy bits...

The GMail 'Mail Fetcher' tip was mine :¬)

If you've switched to Email Pro then you'll need to tell Google about the different incoming mail server addresses.
I don't think GMail IMAP will have any bearing on this that's a separate thing.

Obviously any provider can have issues occasionally...
I'm a great believer in avoiding Single Points of Failure where possible - so I like to limit my exposure when problems arise by spreading things around!

There are some space limitations with Freeola IMAP - I think at one time you were leaving a copy of everything on the server (may have not been you) so you should be aware of that.

This previous thread IMAP a few questions may be of help to you.

Hope that helps a bit - I'll let someone with more IMAP experience than me advise you on your other queries :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 09/09/11 at 10:58
Regular
Hi

I will probably explain myself badly here so please accept my apologies in advance... particularly as I think this message is going to be 'overly' longwinded, plus I'm feeling very confused!

Many moons ago it was mentioned on these forums that a good way of keeping a backup of my freeola emails (which I access through Outlook 2003) was to have them copied to a gmail email account. This also had the added bonus that I had an alternative way of accessing my messages and it's worked well... particularly if I've been away from my desk/office.

Today, however, I've changed to the new Freeola IMAP service and after a few hair raising moments seem to have reconfigured my outlook account correctly in that new messages seem to be coming through okay.

That said when I restored all my old messages from the backup pst file (from when I had the POP service) they imported fine but are all in their separate folders (their original format) and don't seem to have transferred into the new IMAP inbox. I'm not sure whether this matters or not. At the moment I have 2 x inboxes. The first inbox is contained within a selection of Personal Folders which hold all my old messages/sub-folders etc. and then under a new heading I have the New IMAP Store (holding only the messages I've received since I made the switch). Please note the main root store cannot be displayed... it's empty. However when I look at the sub-folder inbox my new messages are there.

Question 1: Would you recommend that I cut and paste all my old sub folders/messages from the old Personal Folders into the new IMAP inbox. I don't seem to be able to actually import them in other than by doing it manually e.g. create new folders in the IMAP inbox and copy and pasting in the old messages.

Question 2: When looking at my gmail email account I only seem to have all the messages that were received up until the point I transferred to IMAP e.g. no new messages are being retrieved. I've changed gmail's settings to enable IMAP but my new messages are still not coming through. Is there something I'm missing e.g. another setting I need to tweak in gmail so that new messages start arriving in the inbox... or is this no longer possible?

Question 3: I'm not sure I understand IMAP sufficiently... but does the fact that my emails are now stored permanently on Freeola's own servers... does this then negate the need to have a copy on gmail. Am I being overcautious. Could Freeola ever lose all the emails if their own mail servers got corrupted?

I think it will be a brave man or woman who trys to answer that lot... but if anyone can help me get to grips with the above I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Laura

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.