GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A RARE TREAT!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 11:25
Regular
Rare have always had a reputation for making high quality games and throughout their stay with Nintendo nothing much has changed except from maybe the quality of the games has got even better.
If it wasn’t for RareWare trotting onto the scene Nintendo wouldn’t have acquired the vital boost that they needed to keep their dreams alive.

Rare did exactly that.
The three top 100 games ever made are on the n64 and Rare made every one of them and each one as good as or better than the other. With each Game Rare made for Nintendo their sales shot up. Also each one has been categorised as a classic. Hopefully this will continue for years to come when Nintendo launch their latest console the GameCube!

The First game Rare made for the N64 was goldeneye, which changed shoot ‘em, ups forever.
With great graphics, loads of missions and plenty guards to mutilate, Goldeneye is deemed the best shoot ‘em up ever.
Goldeneye had a unique feature, it had it’s very own cheats menu which allows you to unlock certain cheats for completing different missions on a set difficulty setting and in a set time.
Goldeneye also has one of the finest multi-players ever seen in a gam.
The multi-player is super smooth and super fast. It also has some classic scenarios such as “You Only Live Twice” or “The Man with the Golden Gun”. Each scenario had a set objective like for example in the flag tag match you had to hold the flag and avoid being killed by your enemy for as long as possible.
So with that Goldeneye goes down in the history books as a true classic!

Next on the scene was Perfect Dark, which by some folk is an even better shoot ‘em up than bond.
True Perfect Dark is another top quality classic but Bond is unique classic and nothing will ever change that, no matter how better the games get.
Perfect Dark is still an ace shoot ‘em up’ though. It uses every last “bit” of the N64’s power.
Perfect Dark has some really cool weapons, some of which even put Bond to shame (The x-ray vision has to be my fav weapon).
The Graphics are Gob smacking, from the likes of which I’ve never seen before and most probably will never see again on the N64!

The next game that Rare made for the N64 is by far the most rudest, meanest and obscure game that has ever been made.
Conkers Bad Fur day will have you lying on the floor in stitches from laughing.
Conkers Bad Fur Day is also to change the way we think about platformers forever, and it did.
This Rib Tickling game is for adults only but boy what a scream, who needs the two Ronnies! This game is full of toilet humour and black comedy! I love this game and would love to own it.
Conkers Bad Fur Day is surprisingly playable, because most platformers are a bit on the “naff” side, but this game ain’t!
Conkers Bad Fur Day has loads of missions to muddle your way through, each containing some cool puzzles and one or two mini games.
I think this game is going to be another classic that Nintendo can show of!
I wouldn’t blame them if they do either, ‘cos I like this game and I hope you do too!

Conkers Bad Fur Day has been the last we’ve heard of Rare for quite some time. But no doubt they will make an appearance on the GameCube!
If the quality of the games Rare are hopefully going to make on the GameCube are anything like what we’ve seen on the N64 we’re in for a roller coaster of a ride.
With some sequels to some for the N64 games we’ve seen already confirmed as a GameCube release, like a Zelda game. Hopefully Rare won’t be too far behind.
But until then sit back relax and enjoy some of Rares delicacies like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark or Conkers Bad Fur Day, because that’s the last we’re likely to see of Rare on the N64.

Thanks for reading!
Tue 06/09/11 at 21:33
Evenin.....

Due to the extremely inclement weather we're going for a Hare & Hounds start.

The ground conditions will be EXTREMELY boggy doubling the ride time so this is deffo route-as-we-go so we'll meet in time for a 17:50 departure ;)

We have ONE MORE RIDE for this summer season would you believe!!!!!!!!!!

PK
Fri 21/12/01 at 23:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
roll on PD zero! Oh, but Rare had the cool slow mo option, and if you put it on 'Smart' it meant it only went slow when you were in combat, so you couldn't tell if it was actual slow down, or the slow mo mode kicking in...

Very clever idea Rare!
Fri 21/12/01 at 22:43
Regular
That is until you put on too many simulants and it slows down to a snails pace!!

Still, there's only so much Rare can do with a 5 year old N64 but wait until they start coding for the colourful powerbox!
Thu 20/12/01 at 22:09
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I remember on multiplayer in Goldeneye, i used to be able to wait for someone to reload before running round the corner and killing them (license to kill of course).

After playing Perfect Dark for ages though (where the reload takes much longer) I couldn't do it on Goldeneye any more. The time to reload on Goldeneye is soooo short that I didn't have the reactions any more.

Perfect Dark remains the ultimate multiplayer game ever in my opinion.
Thu 20/12/01 at 16:21
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Goldeneye multiplayer was FAR too slow for my liking.

Then along came Quake 2.

We played that for a while, then went back to
> Goldeneye one day. I don't know how we put up with GE for all that time. It was
> too slow, too boring.

So Quake 2 became the daddy of multiplayer FPS on my
> N64.

I guess it's down to opinion.

The only way that Goldeneye played slower than other FPS games was that it had features like reloading and the explosives were slow.

This allowed for more tactics but I suppose some people prefer an all out blast.

I picked up Quake 2 at EB for £3.99.
I'm glad that I didn't pay a penny more.

The game isn't as smooth or as sharp as Goldeneye with inaccurate weapons.
It also looks blocky and ugly too.

I guess it's pretty much down to opinion what you prefer, but I don't see why you refuse to count Goldeneye as a classic.

Seeing as it was released before even the PC version of Quake 2 (which was supposedly enhanced for the N64), it made all competitors at the time look ugly, old and crap.

It over a whole year for Half Life to come out and "better" it.
Thu 20/12/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Your Honour wrote:
> Goldeneye multiplayer was FAR too slow for my liking.

I used to think it
> rocked, when I first got it, and me and my mates played 4 player deathmatch all
> the time.

Then along came Quake 2.

Oh yes!

Much faster, bigger weapons,
> bigger explosions and more fun.

We played that for a while, then went back to
> Goldeneye one day. I don't know how we put up with GE for all that time. It was
> too slow, too boring.

So Quake 2 became the daddy of multiplayer FPS on my
> N64.

lol... and currently avalible for the N64 from SR at 8.99! :)
Thu 20/12/01 at 12:52
Regular
Well, my definition of a classic must be slightly different to yours then.

If it's a classic, it can't get boring. If it's SO good that it's a classic, then you should want to play it all day everyday without ever getting bored of it.
Thu 20/12/01 at 12:41
"I hate that!!!"
Yes Goldeneye multi-player can get a bit boring if youplay on it all the time but, like I said it's a classic if ever there was one.
Thu 20/12/01 at 11:58
Regular
Goldeneye multiplayer was FAR too slow for my liking.

I used to think it rocked, when I first got it, and me and my mates played 4 player deathmatch all the time.

Then along came Quake 2.

Oh yes!

Much faster, bigger weapons, bigger explosions and more fun.

We played that for a while, then went back to Goldeneye one day. I don't know how we put up with GE for all that time. It was too slow, too boring.

So Quake 2 became the daddy of multiplayer FPS on my N64.
Thu 20/12/01 at 11:44
Regular
"not dead"
Probably because American companies publish most of their stuff, or own part of the developer, and stick their name all over it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.