GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Nintendo didn't reveal too much at Spaceworld."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/09/00 at 11:39
Regular
At Spaceworld, we saw "demos" (I will explain the inverted commas later) of some of the games that Nintendo are famous for making. We also saw the console and the controller, as well as many other acessories that would have been expected to been made.
This is nothing compared to what they really have.
Why do I say this? Its pretty obvious really, Nintendo, whenever they release new hardware, consoles or games, they come up with very imaginative games, hardware and so on.
Mario Kart was shown on the Snes at a show like Spaceworld, and before the game was released, about five clones (I am not exaggerating) were released on multiformats. Now Mario Kart clones (driving cartoon like characters in small karts or cars) are one of the largest families of games around.
What else? The rumble pack (duel shock), the memory card, the analogue stick, the playstation, (not announced, but designed as a Snes cd addon) the gameboy (Sega released the game gear shortly after). I can think of a ton of other stuff. (Mario 64, cloned into Tomb Raider. Although they were released at the same time, Mario was shown about a year before)
So this time, instead of showing off their ideas to people so they can copy them and make rubbishly designed alternatives, Nintendo has kept quite secretative about many things. The controller, for example, will not be the controller they will use. They have left out (this is from Shigsys mouth, not mine) many features from the controller.
Hopefully from the console itself as well.
On to games, and reference to "demos" earlier.
Nintendo says that all things shown were just demos.
Yeah, right.
The textures on the walls of the Zelda "demo" were far too well done just to be a demo, it was running in real-time (thats not FMV, and all things made with polygons) AND if you watch closely, you can see a staircase leading up from where they were, to a door. This, I expect, was not put in for show.
The Starwars demo (Rogue Squadron 2) was also shown to a select group running and BEING CONTROLLED by a Nintendo rep.
Demos indeed. Even Shigsy joked at the mention of a Metriod game saying (What makes you thing their will be a Metroid game) after showing a demo of the FMV sequence.
So Nintendo have a lot up their sleeves.
And Playstation fanatics...
Be afraid... Be very afraid...
Fri 01/09/00 at 11:39
Regular
At Spaceworld, we saw "demos" (I will explain the inverted commas later) of some of the games that Nintendo are famous for making. We also saw the console and the controller, as well as many other acessories that would have been expected to been made.
This is nothing compared to what they really have.
Why do I say this? Its pretty obvious really, Nintendo, whenever they release new hardware, consoles or games, they come up with very imaginative games, hardware and so on.
Mario Kart was shown on the Snes at a show like Spaceworld, and before the game was released, about five clones (I am not exaggerating) were released on multiformats. Now Mario Kart clones (driving cartoon like characters in small karts or cars) are one of the largest families of games around.
What else? The rumble pack (duel shock), the memory card, the analogue stick, the playstation, (not announced, but designed as a Snes cd addon) the gameboy (Sega released the game gear shortly after). I can think of a ton of other stuff. (Mario 64, cloned into Tomb Raider. Although they were released at the same time, Mario was shown about a year before)
So this time, instead of showing off their ideas to people so they can copy them and make rubbishly designed alternatives, Nintendo has kept quite secretative about many things. The controller, for example, will not be the controller they will use. They have left out (this is from Shigsys mouth, not mine) many features from the controller.
Hopefully from the console itself as well.
On to games, and reference to "demos" earlier.
Nintendo says that all things shown were just demos.
Yeah, right.
The textures on the walls of the Zelda "demo" were far too well done just to be a demo, it was running in real-time (thats not FMV, and all things made with polygons) AND if you watch closely, you can see a staircase leading up from where they were, to a door. This, I expect, was not put in for show.
The Starwars demo (Rogue Squadron 2) was also shown to a select group running and BEING CONTROLLED by a Nintendo rep.
Demos indeed. Even Shigsy joked at the mention of a Metriod game saying (What makes you thing their will be a Metroid game) after showing a demo of the FMV sequence.
So Nintendo have a lot up their sleeves.
And Playstation fanatics...
Be afraid... Be very afraid...
Fri 01/09/00 at 14:10
Regular
"not dead"
True. That's a good point. However Nintendo could have solved this problem by pulling their fingers out and getting their new console out a bit sooner.
Fri 01/09/00 at 15:31
Regular
Good things come to those who wait...
A day of advertisments brought to you by Grix Thraves.
Sun 03/09/00 at 21:27
I am a loyal nintendo fan and I personally like other people can't wait for the release of Game Cube. I believe this is the reason they didn't reveal much at space world because they wan't peoples anticipation to build up for their console. They did the same thing with N64, sure everyone new it was coming but there were very few screen shots untill about 6 months before the release and most of what people knew, such as the various name changes were told in order to heighten peoples interest and I for one say it worked then and it is certainly working now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.