GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Dirt 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'DiRT 3'.
Fri 26/08/11 at 09:03
Regular
"And in last place.."
When I think of a rally games, I visualise hurtling down a dusty path through a forest and the car ending up in the trees, on its roof after the 1st tight bend. When I think of Dirt 3 all I can see is triangles. They are everywhere, it’s an invasion. I’ve never seen so many triangles. The dot on the ‘i’ in Dirt is replaced with a triangle. The loading animation is a set of 3 triangles. The career races are picked from triangles. The animation between screens shows triangles coming from the tyres of the cars. I’m surprised to see the disc is the standard circular shape. But regardless of the triangle obsession, Codemasters once again show they know how to make a rally game.

The racing genre is hardly short of new racing games but thankfully the rally scene isn’t quite so over-populated and there is more than enough room for another, particularly when the Dirt series is widely regarded as the best currently available. As we’ve come to expect from this series, Dirt 3 is more than just a rally game, it’s an off-road racing experience.

Rally is the main event of Dirt 3 and Codemasters have returned to a more traditional career mode setup. It’s back to picking a race from the menus rather than pretending you are the driver in your caravan waiting for the race to begin. Simply pick a co-driver, pick a horn sound (yes, really) and hit the road... if you can find an actual road.

The selection of cars covers all decades between the 60s and today. One minute you can be experiencing a bit of nostalgia in an old Mini or Renault 5 Turbo and the next you can be tearing along the track in an Impreza or an Evo. Each car has different liveries which can be unlocked as you progress through the career.

The co-driver, as expected, will give you the details of what lies ahead but you can ignore him in favour of the now standard dynamic racing line. For some reason it looks a little silly having the racing line in a rally game but those of us with the memory of a goldfish will find it easier than having to remember the co-driver instructions. One day someone will invent a co-driver that can reply to a “say that again” request, my little brain can only cope with one bend at a time, I don’t want to know what’s over the crest and round the next bend, I get all muddled.

All manner of assists are available which can transform the game from a friendly kitten to a grumpy lion. On the easiest skill level with all assists on, anyone that can hold a control pad could play this game. It is an extensive system and allows for a good, steady progression of your abilities with the game. As you get better you can turn of assists one at a time rather than making a big leap to the next difficulty level. You can also fine tune the difficulty within each difficulty. If you find intermediate too tough then go back to casual but bump up the sub difficulty level. All of these options allow people of all skill levels can enjoy the game from the off. For the experienced, the car set up can also be tinkered to your preferred settings. I stay well clear of this myself.

There is a good variety in locations, surfaces and weather conditions. You’ll be driving on tarmac, gravel, mud, snow and all affect the car handling differently. Bumping up the skill level or removing assists does make for a game demanding of your concentration. Weather conditions will see rain and snow provide an extra test of your car control and the night time racing really spices up a drive through a forest.

Competitors all start at set time intervals so you will at times catch the car in front and have your view impaired by the dust or snow from their tyres. Autumnal driving will see leaves fall from the trees which is a nice touch but don’t allow your attention to be taken from the road ahead.

As well as the dynamic racing line, a rewind feature is becoming the norm in racing games and Dirt 3 allows a few flashbacks to rectify a car crippling misjudgement.

Race results add to your driver level via reputation points. The position you finish and the number of flashbacks remaining add to your driver level. Each car has a variety of sponsors and each presents you with a different bonus challenge with varying reputation points to be earned. I find I’m too busy concentrating on my driving to bother with the challenges and more often than not, I match the criteria with a solid race anyway.

Dirt 3 is a visual delight, the presentation is top notch as always and the locations are impressive. The cockpit view is the most immersive that I’ve seen. It may look prettier in other racers (but rally cars aren’t as nice inside), it may lack the head turning of other racers but it somehow pulls you into the experience more. It feels infinitely faster adding a real edge of the seat feeling to the race. The screen judders with each and every bump in the uneven surface and spinning off is completely disorientating. It works brilliantly. Where it does disappoint a little is with the tracks, even on mud and snow the tyres have little impact on the surface and the cars seldom look as dirty as they should do. And interaction with pools of water isn’t as convincing as they should be.

As well as the traditional rally events, you’ll find a good selection of other race types. Rally Cross plays more like a normal racing game with everyone starting at the same time but it is somewhat less disciplined than traditional racing. Head To Head will see you up against another car on a track where both cars head off in different directions making it less obvious how you are performing. And the buggies and racing trucks are also back. Traditional rallying is the main course but there is plenty of variety to feast on.

Drifting events also rear their ugly heads. Oh how I hate drifting events and it’s no different in Dirt 3. I’m terrible at them and you’d think it would be easier to do off road with less grip but stopping the car spinning round takes some precision.

The big addition for Dirt 3 is Gymkhana. This is where you get to mess about and ‘express yourself’. The aim of Gymkhana is to gain as many points from performing donuts round a post, spinning in a circle within a confined area, smashing through boxes, drifting and air time. There must be something I’ve forgotten. The time limit can be short and there is little room for error if you want to work on your multipliers. It plays very well but it is radically different from the rest of the game and takes some mastering to really rank up some serious points and not have your car ready for the scrap heap at the end.

The Gymkhana events are scattered through the career but there is a whole section devoted to them. Within this section you have a set number of challenges to complete and you can come and go as you please to work towards each challenge. This is all based at the old Battersea Power Station and it is a very good setup with plenty of varienty, you’ll be doing your donuts round a digger one moment, drifting under a truck the next and barrel rolling to finish off. There are certain actions to complete, no time limits, just drive off and mess about. It certainly adds something to the lifespan of what already is a lengthy game.

Other race modes for the single player are the standard one off races and time trials. These modes are useful for practicing and are a perfect area to monitor the effect of tinkering with the skill level and assists.

The online aspect is fairly similar to the single player. The serious racer will want to hit the Pro Tour where all the traditional racing can be done. As usual with online racing, you’ll see little in the way of gentlemanly conduct. Gymkhana is also an option and shows just how far off a good score you really are. For those that just want to mess about, Jam Session is the place to go. This opens up a world of fun and chaos. Transporter, for instance is a take on Capture the Flag. Drive through the flag to collect it and deliver to the marked destination to win. The other competitors will then try to ram you which will result in the flag passing to them. It’s carnage. Another favourite mode is Cat and Mouse. 1 person in each team is the mouse, the others are the cats. The mouse has the slowest car, the cats have faster. It’s all about getting your mouse over the finish line first. It’s warfare on 4 wheels, excellent stuff. The Jam Sessions are a great addition, they add fun to what would otherwise be a serious game. They also don’t feel like they are just added on for the sake of it.

Codemasters seems to produce fine racing game after fine racing game and Dirt 3 doesn’t break that trend.

There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 26/08/11 at 09:03
Regular
"And in last place.."
When I think of a rally games, I visualise hurtling down a dusty path through a forest and the car ending up in the trees, on its roof after the 1st tight bend. When I think of Dirt 3 all I can see is triangles. They are everywhere, it’s an invasion. I’ve never seen so many triangles. The dot on the ‘i’ in Dirt is replaced with a triangle. The loading animation is a set of 3 triangles. The career races are picked from triangles. The animation between screens shows triangles coming from the tyres of the cars. I’m surprised to see the disc is the standard circular shape. But regardless of the triangle obsession, Codemasters once again show they know how to make a rally game.

The racing genre is hardly short of new racing games but thankfully the rally scene isn’t quite so over-populated and there is more than enough room for another, particularly when the Dirt series is widely regarded as the best currently available. As we’ve come to expect from this series, Dirt 3 is more than just a rally game, it’s an off-road racing experience.

Rally is the main event of Dirt 3 and Codemasters have returned to a more traditional career mode setup. It’s back to picking a race from the menus rather than pretending you are the driver in your caravan waiting for the race to begin. Simply pick a co-driver, pick a horn sound (yes, really) and hit the road... if you can find an actual road.

The selection of cars covers all decades between the 60s and today. One minute you can be experiencing a bit of nostalgia in an old Mini or Renault 5 Turbo and the next you can be tearing along the track in an Impreza or an Evo. Each car has different liveries which can be unlocked as you progress through the career.

The co-driver, as expected, will give you the details of what lies ahead but you can ignore him in favour of the now standard dynamic racing line. For some reason it looks a little silly having the racing line in a rally game but those of us with the memory of a goldfish will find it easier than having to remember the co-driver instructions. One day someone will invent a co-driver that can reply to a “say that again” request, my little brain can only cope with one bend at a time, I don’t want to know what’s over the crest and round the next bend, I get all muddled.

All manner of assists are available which can transform the game from a friendly kitten to a grumpy lion. On the easiest skill level with all assists on, anyone that can hold a control pad could play this game. It is an extensive system and allows for a good, steady progression of your abilities with the game. As you get better you can turn of assists one at a time rather than making a big leap to the next difficulty level. You can also fine tune the difficulty within each difficulty. If you find intermediate too tough then go back to casual but bump up the sub difficulty level. All of these options allow people of all skill levels can enjoy the game from the off. For the experienced, the car set up can also be tinkered to your preferred settings. I stay well clear of this myself.

There is a good variety in locations, surfaces and weather conditions. You’ll be driving on tarmac, gravel, mud, snow and all affect the car handling differently. Bumping up the skill level or removing assists does make for a game demanding of your concentration. Weather conditions will see rain and snow provide an extra test of your car control and the night time racing really spices up a drive through a forest.

Competitors all start at set time intervals so you will at times catch the car in front and have your view impaired by the dust or snow from their tyres. Autumnal driving will see leaves fall from the trees which is a nice touch but don’t allow your attention to be taken from the road ahead.

As well as the dynamic racing line, a rewind feature is becoming the norm in racing games and Dirt 3 allows a few flashbacks to rectify a car crippling misjudgement.

Race results add to your driver level via reputation points. The position you finish and the number of flashbacks remaining add to your driver level. Each car has a variety of sponsors and each presents you with a different bonus challenge with varying reputation points to be earned. I find I’m too busy concentrating on my driving to bother with the challenges and more often than not, I match the criteria with a solid race anyway.

Dirt 3 is a visual delight, the presentation is top notch as always and the locations are impressive. The cockpit view is the most immersive that I’ve seen. It may look prettier in other racers (but rally cars aren’t as nice inside), it may lack the head turning of other racers but it somehow pulls you into the experience more. It feels infinitely faster adding a real edge of the seat feeling to the race. The screen judders with each and every bump in the uneven surface and spinning off is completely disorientating. It works brilliantly. Where it does disappoint a little is with the tracks, even on mud and snow the tyres have little impact on the surface and the cars seldom look as dirty as they should do. And interaction with pools of water isn’t as convincing as they should be.

As well as the traditional rally events, you’ll find a good selection of other race types. Rally Cross plays more like a normal racing game with everyone starting at the same time but it is somewhat less disciplined than traditional racing. Head To Head will see you up against another car on a track where both cars head off in different directions making it less obvious how you are performing. And the buggies and racing trucks are also back. Traditional rallying is the main course but there is plenty of variety to feast on.

Drifting events also rear their ugly heads. Oh how I hate drifting events and it’s no different in Dirt 3. I’m terrible at them and you’d think it would be easier to do off road with less grip but stopping the car spinning round takes some precision.

The big addition for Dirt 3 is Gymkhana. This is where you get to mess about and ‘express yourself’. The aim of Gymkhana is to gain as many points from performing donuts round a post, spinning in a circle within a confined area, smashing through boxes, drifting and air time. There must be something I’ve forgotten. The time limit can be short and there is little room for error if you want to work on your multipliers. It plays very well but it is radically different from the rest of the game and takes some mastering to really rank up some serious points and not have your car ready for the scrap heap at the end.

The Gymkhana events are scattered through the career but there is a whole section devoted to them. Within this section you have a set number of challenges to complete and you can come and go as you please to work towards each challenge. This is all based at the old Battersea Power Station and it is a very good setup with plenty of varienty, you’ll be doing your donuts round a digger one moment, drifting under a truck the next and barrel rolling to finish off. There are certain actions to complete, no time limits, just drive off and mess about. It certainly adds something to the lifespan of what already is a lengthy game.

Other race modes for the single player are the standard one off races and time trials. These modes are useful for practicing and are a perfect area to monitor the effect of tinkering with the skill level and assists.

The online aspect is fairly similar to the single player. The serious racer will want to hit the Pro Tour where all the traditional racing can be done. As usual with online racing, you’ll see little in the way of gentlemanly conduct. Gymkhana is also an option and shows just how far off a good score you really are. For those that just want to mess about, Jam Session is the place to go. This opens up a world of fun and chaos. Transporter, for instance is a take on Capture the Flag. Drive through the flag to collect it and deliver to the marked destination to win. The other competitors will then try to ram you which will result in the flag passing to them. It’s carnage. Another favourite mode is Cat and Mouse. 1 person in each team is the mouse, the others are the cats. The mouse has the slowest car, the cats have faster. It’s all about getting your mouse over the finish line first. It’s warfare on 4 wheels, excellent stuff. The Jam Sessions are a great addition, they add fun to what would otherwise be a serious game. They also don’t feel like they are just added on for the sake of it.

Codemasters seems to produce fine racing game after fine racing game and Dirt 3 doesn’t break that trend.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.