GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"5 Ways to Game Through Christmas"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/12/01 at 22:05
Regular
Are you stuck at family’s houses these few Christmas days? Not just Christmas Day, but during Boxing and the couple of days after? Do not fret, I know what troubles await you, and in this special Christmas Edition post, help is on the way... Read On.

While everyone is frantically unwrapping their gifts and exchanging candy canes and sweet little smiles, where are you? When everyone is giving stale smiles to old aunts for their lovely red cardigans and fluffy socks, where have you disappeared? When everyone is pouring gravy over their carved Turkey and pulling each other’s crackers...WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? I can tell you. Gaming. What else?

And why not? It’s a perfectly civilized practice. While the rest of your immediate family are *ahem* enjoying each other’s company, drinking large amounts of sherry and complaining about costs of gifts, you are shaking your booty in Samba De Amigo. Or exploring the Japanese 80’s in Shenmue. But the problem arises. Shouldn’t you really be with your family on these special days?

Nahh. Not Really. But if the problem still floats its ugly head that you cannot escape the clutches of Grandma or Aunty Sue or Cousin Frank.... here’s a few options on how to ease the pain of “togetherness”, or even lose it altogether.

1. Get them playing.

Quite simple, really. You’ve got that brand spanking new console with a few controllers around, why not get everyone else into it? Get Grandma shaking some maracas to the beat, or race Mum around the track in Ridge Racer V. It’s painless, it’s gaming, and you might even be able to strain yourself to have some fun. And if worse comes to worse, they can’t blame you for not spending any time with them! Plus, while they are occupied, you can start early on the desserts cooling in the fridge. Mmmm, Mudcake.

2. Start a board game then leave after 5 minutes.

Some unlucky family member MUST have received it. It’s tradition! An overpriced set of cardboard and easy-to-lose plastic pieces will almost certainly have changed hands at some point. Twister, Cluedo, Monopoly, it’s all good. Find whoever has it, get everyone involved and start playing. Then, after 5 minutes excuse yourself to go to the toilet or whatever and Tada! You gained yourself at least 1 - 2 hours of uninterrupted gaming. That is, unless, one of your smarter family members hears that damn Ocarina echoing from your N64. Then you’re screwed my friend.

3. Lock yourself away.

It may be obviously anti-social, childish and kind of stupid, but if there’s a room in the house with locks and power points, use it as your private chamber. The good thing is that no one can bug you. It’s like a safe: no younger siblings or any other annoyances can bug you. Quiet, solemn gaming pleasure. The bad points are, you’re PROBABLY going to be shunned by your parents or grandparents, have no access to the “facilities”, and are probably going to miss out on the turkey or that Mudcake mentioned before which is sitting in that fridge. Mmmmm, Mudcake.

4. Fake Illness.

Works best if you are at your own house. Advise your family and friends that you have come down with a sudden illness and need to rest, then, after they finish sympathizing, suppress the slight giggle then escape with your newly received gaming gifts in tow. If this works correctly you will be brought food, be left alone by siblings and have access to facilities. If it doesn’t, you may have to resort to previously mentioned tip #3 if in dire straights. NOTE: Most people with a guilty conscience may have trouble with this method. Proceed with caution.

5. Use Bribes.

Most young children these days can be bought or maneuvered with promises of either candy, money or usage of gifts. If you have received chocolate, that stupid scooter you don’t want or have $10 handy, try offering these things to the little annoyances that litter the area as compensation to leave you alone in peace for a few moments. Generally, the more extravagant the bribe the more likely you will have a longer time space to be enjoying your gifts without whining or bugging. Unfortunately, this option doesn’t work very well on the adult persuasion. But if push comes to shove, try Alcohol. This good all-rounder allows the older generation to sit by idly as you game, with just the minor chitchat through sips. NOTE: Not ALL kids/adults are this stupid; with the smarter ones, try blackmail.

Hopefully, with these simple, easy ways to distract loved ones, you should have no trouble gaming throughout the Christmas period.

P.S If your little brother still persists, Parcel Tape and Rope does the job. And please note, o(^_^)o takes no responsibility IF your little bro fights back, nor endorses the use of Parcel Tape/Rope.

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o
Thu 25/08/11 at 14:37
Regular
Thankyou
Wed 19/12/01 at 09:22
Regular
"I confused?"
I wait untill i go over to my cousins a few days later as he has an N64 so we play our games on that.
Wed 19/12/01 at 08:38
Regular
Zarathustra wrote:
> I'll be locking myself away like a gaming monk.

Really? You'll be praying to the God of Gaming 5 times a day, helping out in the gaming garden, wearing the gaming cowl and dedicating your life to the service of gaming, whilst taking a vow of silence and of chasity, though you're a gamer so the chasity one won't matter.
Wed 19/12/01 at 04:41
I can play games all day long. My only problem is trying to keep my consoles in tact when all the little kids are playing them.
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:48
Regular
"um..."
The only one who hates my gaming is my mum so no probs there she'll cook dinner I play games she only likes Tetris (like most adults-except my dad who likes GT3)
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:42
Regular
I'll be locking myself away like a gaming monk.
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:05
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Are you stuck at family’s houses these few Christmas days? Not just Christmas Day, but during Boxing and the couple of days after? Do not fret, I know what troubles await you, and in this special Christmas Edition post, help is on the way... Read On.

While everyone is frantically unwrapping their gifts and exchanging candy canes and sweet little smiles, where are you? When everyone is giving stale smiles to old aunts for their lovely red cardigans and fluffy socks, where have you disappeared? When everyone is pouring gravy over their carved Turkey and pulling each other’s crackers...WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? I can tell you. Gaming. What else?

And why not? It’s a perfectly civilized practice. While the rest of your immediate family are *ahem* enjoying each other’s company, drinking large amounts of sherry and complaining about costs of gifts, you are shaking your booty in Samba De Amigo. Or exploring the Japanese 80’s in Shenmue. But the problem arises. Shouldn’t you really be with your family on these special days?

Nahh. Not Really. But if the problem still floats its ugly head that you cannot escape the clutches of Grandma or Aunty Sue or Cousin Frank.... here’s a few options on how to ease the pain of “togetherness”, or even lose it altogether.

1. Get them playing.

Quite simple, really. You’ve got that brand spanking new console with a few controllers around, why not get everyone else into it? Get Grandma shaking some maracas to the beat, or race Mum around the track in Ridge Racer V. It’s painless, it’s gaming, and you might even be able to strain yourself to have some fun. And if worse comes to worse, they can’t blame you for not spending any time with them! Plus, while they are occupied, you can start early on the desserts cooling in the fridge. Mmmm, Mudcake.

2. Start a board game then leave after 5 minutes.

Some unlucky family member MUST have received it. It’s tradition! An overpriced set of cardboard and easy-to-lose plastic pieces will almost certainly have changed hands at some point. Twister, Cluedo, Monopoly, it’s all good. Find whoever has it, get everyone involved and start playing. Then, after 5 minutes excuse yourself to go to the toilet or whatever and Tada! You gained yourself at least 1 - 2 hours of uninterrupted gaming. That is, unless, one of your smarter family members hears that damn Ocarina echoing from your N64. Then you’re screwed my friend.

3. Lock yourself away.

It may be obviously anti-social, childish and kind of stupid, but if there’s a room in the house with locks and power points, use it as your private chamber. The good thing is that no one can bug you. It’s like a safe: no younger siblings or any other annoyances can bug you. Quiet, solemn gaming pleasure. The bad points are, you’re PROBABLY going to be shunned by your parents or grandparents, have no access to the “facilities”, and are probably going to miss out on the turkey or that Mudcake mentioned before which is sitting in that fridge. Mmmmm, Mudcake.

4. Fake Illness.

Works best if you are at your own house. Advise your family and friends that you have come down with a sudden illness and need to rest, then, after they finish sympathizing, suppress the slight giggle then escape with your newly received gaming gifts in tow. If this works correctly you will be brought food, be left alone by siblings and have access to facilities. If it doesn’t, you may have to resort to previously mentioned tip #3 if in dire straights. NOTE: Most people with a guilty conscience may have trouble with this method. Proceed with caution.

5. Use Bribes.

Most young children these days can be bought or maneuvered with promises of either candy, money or usage of gifts. If you have received chocolate, that stupid scooter you don’t want or have $10 handy, try offering these things to the little annoyances that litter the area as compensation to leave you alone in peace for a few moments. Generally, the more extravagant the bribe the more likely you will have a longer time space to be enjoying your gifts without whining or bugging. Unfortunately, this option doesn’t work very well on the adult persuasion. But if push comes to shove, try Alcohol. This good all-rounder allows the older generation to sit by idly as you game, with just the minor chitchat through sips. NOTE: Not ALL kids/adults are this stupid; with the smarter ones, try blackmail.

Hopefully, with these simple, easy ways to distract loved ones, you should have no trouble gaming throughout the Christmas period.

P.S If your little brother still persists, Parcel Tape and Rope does the job. And please note, o(^_^)o takes no responsibility IF your little bro fights back, nor endorses the use of Parcel Tape/Rope.

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.