GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1&2'.
Tue 18/03/03 at 16:00
Regular
Seemingly the hot topic of the month at the moment Phantasy Star Online, but how many of you have actually been able to get hold of the game AND the modem? have you played it online yet? and more importantly did your character get corrupted? hang on a second you might say "corrupted? but why?" which is exactly the question im asking.

A few months ago Sega announced when the Japaneese version of PSO for GC was released that it had been having troubles with it's servers, primarilly players complained that there characters had been corrupted by the servers, so Sega then released a new patched version of the game and re-called all of the old japaneese PSO discs, problem solved, or so we thought...

Seeing that the problem has obviously been fixed you would expect these same bugs to be ironed out for the US and most definately the European release over here, and whereas all is now quiet on the front of the US servers whereas regarding character corruption there is still the problem of hackers now lying dormant and striking with the use of their Action Replays.

However! the main fact thats worrying me (and no doubt other pso players) at the moment are reports of this "unknown" cause of character corruption, basically from accounts that iv'e heard it goes something like this...

PLayer logs on, maybe plays a couple of games or so, chats for a while etc then decides to log off and does so in the proper manner by using the "quit game" option which then causes the game to disconnect and save the game as normal, or so is thought, as when they next go to play PSO they get to the character select screen it comes up with a message to something to the effect of "your character data has been corrupted and is unuseable please refer to manual" and as a result of this they have to start all over again as you cannot copy ANY type of PSO file.

Now I think i speak for every PSO player when i say This just is'nt good enough, i mean surely Sega have had ample time to fix this problem but the real question thats also causing controversy is basically is it the servers or not? as it seems to be the logical explanation but Sega have'nt announced any news about there servers since they launched on March 7th and apperently have been working perfectly.

I don't know how many of you on here who may have experienced this mysterious "corruption" but if you have then I would be greatfull if you would post it in here as I would like to try and get to the bottom of this matter just as much as any of you so if youve had any experiences like those aforementioned earlier then post them if you can or if you have any other PSO concerns.

On another related note I should have my modem by today when i get home from college but am at a loss (possibly like other in the forums) about what to do, I love PSO and have been playing the dreamcast version(s) for obout 2 years now and really want to get online with the GC version asap BUT equally i have spent over 48 hours building up my character(s) from scratch and really dont want to lose them in the blink of an eye due to a server problem which should have been sorted months in advance even if this risk may be very unlikely or non-existent which is tricky to define whether these corruptions are just issolated incidents as cases of missuse but i'm guessing there not but it jus gets so annoying and tricky to explain by the second as these problems might not even be problems but it seems they are... and the madness goes on.

But you can see my point can't you? nevertheless i'll prob end up going online out of temptation anyway because iv'e been waiting to get the modem for ages now so IF i find that i have it I will most probably be going online and just enjoying the game without a keyboard and with this corruption worry at the back of my mind which should'nt be a worry as it should be sorted.

Anyway I think i've rambled on enough now and made my feelings clear on the whole situation so if anyone else would like to share their views then i'd be very intersted to hear what you have to say on the matter.

thanks for reading.

slik ~_~
Tue 18/03/03 at 16:39
Regular
"DS..."
just been browsing some PSO forums and someone whos been online and has been FSOD or corrupted by server jus says to as soon as it says that your char has been corrupted just start up a normal offline single player game and quit it so that it saves properly he says this has happened three times to him and whenever he's done this method he has'nt lost anything no items nothing and he uses a 251 official memory card, so i guess this is kinda reassuring that there is a way of getting your char back if it does corrupt without having to start again, that is of course providing the method works, neways.

slik ~_~
Tue 18/03/03 at 16:26
Considering we have to pay £5.99 every month for "server maintenance", this comes as a surprise - if they're not keeping it clean and free of problems, why couldn't you just charge nothing for it? Never mind. I'm still waiting for my modem as well, although I only ordered it yesterday (along with PSO).
Tue 18/03/03 at 16:00
Regular
"DS..."
Seemingly the hot topic of the month at the moment Phantasy Star Online, but how many of you have actually been able to get hold of the game AND the modem? have you played it online yet? and more importantly did your character get corrupted? hang on a second you might say "corrupted? but why?" which is exactly the question im asking.

A few months ago Sega announced when the Japaneese version of PSO for GC was released that it had been having troubles with it's servers, primarilly players complained that there characters had been corrupted by the servers, so Sega then released a new patched version of the game and re-called all of the old japaneese PSO discs, problem solved, or so we thought...

Seeing that the problem has obviously been fixed you would expect these same bugs to be ironed out for the US and most definately the European release over here, and whereas all is now quiet on the front of the US servers whereas regarding character corruption there is still the problem of hackers now lying dormant and striking with the use of their Action Replays.

However! the main fact thats worrying me (and no doubt other pso players) at the moment are reports of this "unknown" cause of character corruption, basically from accounts that iv'e heard it goes something like this...

PLayer logs on, maybe plays a couple of games or so, chats for a while etc then decides to log off and does so in the proper manner by using the "quit game" option which then causes the game to disconnect and save the game as normal, or so is thought, as when they next go to play PSO they get to the character select screen it comes up with a message to something to the effect of "your character data has been corrupted and is unuseable please refer to manual" and as a result of this they have to start all over again as you cannot copy ANY type of PSO file.

Now I think i speak for every PSO player when i say This just is'nt good enough, i mean surely Sega have had ample time to fix this problem but the real question thats also causing controversy is basically is it the servers or not? as it seems to be the logical explanation but Sega have'nt announced any news about there servers since they launched on March 7th and apperently have been working perfectly.

I don't know how many of you on here who may have experienced this mysterious "corruption" but if you have then I would be greatfull if you would post it in here as I would like to try and get to the bottom of this matter just as much as any of you so if youve had any experiences like those aforementioned earlier then post them if you can or if you have any other PSO concerns.

On another related note I should have my modem by today when i get home from college but am at a loss (possibly like other in the forums) about what to do, I love PSO and have been playing the dreamcast version(s) for obout 2 years now and really want to get online with the GC version asap BUT equally i have spent over 48 hours building up my character(s) from scratch and really dont want to lose them in the blink of an eye due to a server problem which should have been sorted months in advance even if this risk may be very unlikely or non-existent which is tricky to define whether these corruptions are just issolated incidents as cases of missuse but i'm guessing there not but it jus gets so annoying and tricky to explain by the second as these problems might not even be problems but it seems they are... and the madness goes on.

But you can see my point can't you? nevertheless i'll prob end up going online out of temptation anyway because iv'e been waiting to get the modem for ages now so IF i find that i have it I will most probably be going online and just enjoying the game without a keyboard and with this corruption worry at the back of my mind which should'nt be a worry as it should be sorted.

Anyway I think i've rambled on enough now and made my feelings clear on the whole situation so if anyone else would like to share their views then i'd be very intersted to hear what you have to say on the matter.

thanks for reading.

slik ~_~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.