GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being ill"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/08/11 at 15:28
"possibly impossible"
As you may have read in the General Discussion, I managed to pick up some sort of virus while in India. It seems to be slowly getting better and it could have been worse, at least I got home and I've been able to get out of bed (though most of the time, just to sit on the sofa).

But, self indulgent and grumpy as I might be feeling, it has made me think about the whole world of being ill and how people deal with it.

I'm first to admit that I don't cope well with colds and flu and I'd hate to think what i'd be like with anything more painful. I just get all grumpy and miserable about not being able to do anything.

They say that women cope better with being ill than men. Do you think this is true in general, or just something that people say? Surely it depends on the person?

What do you do when you are sick? Are you the sort of person that would take time off work for a hangover or cold or do you go in to work/school/whatever until you are on your last legs?

I know that I'll work from home if Im not feeling well, but still well enough to think straight. At the moment, even typing this is a challenge though.

Does it benefit others if you go into work etc being ill? Germs can spread quite quickly in an office so in some respects it's far better to have one member of staff off sick than to risk infecting others.
Thu 25/08/11 at 00:30
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Tricky... I haven't been very ill of lately, but I do have a underactive thyroid. A few years back in college this meant I missed lectures because of being sick. Mainly because of the new medication. Most tutors were against this, even though I would do the work at home still. The same when I had pnemonia. I will do my best to still continue, either at the workplace or at home. Whichever is best. Though...Once the work is done, it's straight to the sofa to watch re-runs and old DVD's. With the dog guarding you with clingyness.

I think coping with sickness varies person-to-person. The same with animals, but that's going a bit off topic. Plus seasons. Myself and lots of my friends got summer colds this year, and it was horrible. Mainly because it's not what you expect this time of year. Fast forward to winter and it's almost more acceptabe to be sick then. Then there's the whole SAD syndrome, but not sure if that counts as a sickness or not.

The whole germs thing... Anyone remember that rather extreme swine flu NHS advert? I don't believe in it, but some people truely do!
Wed 24/08/11 at 20:35
Regular
"eat toast!"
When it comes to illnesses, only the very worst things stop me from going to work, coughs, colds are ignored as i spread the germs at work. But generally, if it causes me to vomit, feel light headed/high fever then i'm out of commission.

Generally, when i'm that ill, i try and sleep it off or do something relatively sedate. Playing games which requires great amounts of thinking or fast reflexes are out of the question. But i suppose something gentle to keep me going is fine. But mostly sleeping and drinking lukazade keeps me going.
Wed 24/08/11 at 09:01
Regular
"And in last place.."
I'm a bit grumpy at the best of times, I don't need to be ill for that!

When I'm ill I'm really best just being left to it, I'm not good with all the sympathy and people trying to help. The worst I have felt was when I got salmonella poisoning. I lost over 2 stone in weight and barely had the energy to move when the frequent 'must get to the toilet NOW' moments came.

I was a tad grumpy with people with my hearing loss. I snapped a bit at people when it was suggested I was being ignorant and not responding to them when the reality was I didn't hear them. But then I realised that people forget. I'm aware of it all the time but for others, there was no way of telling by looking at me so in the early days people forgot.
Tue 23/08/11 at 23:17
"possibly impossible"
Eugh!
Tue 23/08/11 at 22:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Bet that made you feel better pb :¬D
Tue 23/08/11 at 19:28
"i love chocolate"
hi well.... i suffer with earinfections and once i had a lip infections my lips went black and i had to pick the scabs off before i went out!
Tue 23/08/11 at 18:12
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I can sympathise totally with the way that you are feeling at the moment pb. I had five years of 'ill' and that took some getting used to, but it taught me to actually slow down and take things as they come. Now I seem to be 'cursed' with pleurisy every year around November, so much so that a recent visit for a regular check-up, the doc said I could have a regular supply of antibiotics...if I wanted! No thanks!

However, the last bout was strangely in April/May this year and that did knock me for six. All I wanted to do, and infact did, was wander around all day in an extremely large and cosy dressing gown ... the comfort zone! But the one thing that really makes me feel worse is to be 'pampered'. I know people only mean well, but it really does make things worse :¬)
Tue 23/08/11 at 15:28
"possibly impossible"
As you may have read in the General Discussion, I managed to pick up some sort of virus while in India. It seems to be slowly getting better and it could have been worse, at least I got home and I've been able to get out of bed (though most of the time, just to sit on the sofa).

But, self indulgent and grumpy as I might be feeling, it has made me think about the whole world of being ill and how people deal with it.

I'm first to admit that I don't cope well with colds and flu and I'd hate to think what i'd be like with anything more painful. I just get all grumpy and miserable about not being able to do anything.

They say that women cope better with being ill than men. Do you think this is true in general, or just something that people say? Surely it depends on the person?

What do you do when you are sick? Are you the sort of person that would take time off work for a hangover or cold or do you go in to work/school/whatever until you are on your last legs?

I know that I'll work from home if Im not feeling well, but still well enough to think straight. At the moment, even typing this is a challenge though.

Does it benefit others if you go into work etc being ill? Germs can spread quite quickly in an office so in some respects it's far better to have one member of staff off sick than to risk infecting others.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.