GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Konami has been great to the Pal Market this year and maybe next year too"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/12/01 at 11:37
Regular
Yeah that’s what I think, because if you look at the kind of games they’ve released over here and the difference between the Japanese release date and the UK one, there hasn’t been such a big gap.

The first game they released at the UK launch was a bit of a disappointment, it was ISS 2000 and I like many other ISS fans bought this only to be disappointed by many things the main one the graphics, the players didn’t look like their real counter parts and this was a disappointment as ISS Pro Evolution 2 on the PSone the players faces looked a bit more like their real counterparts. For example if you playing as Holland you would know when a player like E.Davids had the ball as in the game he has almost the same hairstyle as he does in real (and that’s PS one). So like PSM2 said when they were reviewing Wizards Of Might And Magic, “you might be forgiven to think that it’s PSone.” The same goes for ISS 2000.

Another thing that made this game a bad one was the fact that it favours one player when you are having a head to head game with player2. Evidence for this is that you’ll notice that at most time it favours player1, it’s much easier to score as player1 that it is with player2 and vice verse depending on which side it’s favouring.

After a disappointing 2000, Konami did much better in 2001 with the first good game being Shadow of Memories. It was a whole new kind of concept, one thing you’re the game begins with the death of the main character plus the game was one of a kind in other words it was an original idea.

The next good game to follow this was Hideo Kojima’s Zone of The Enders which came packed with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo (Konami style like when ISS Pro ’98 which came with a playable demo of the original Metal Gear Solid) which was one of its selling points. It came to the UK the same as it was in Japan and Us i.e. there were no features removed. It was a good game though it was very short with really not much replay value but most of you probably spent much time on the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo than on Zone of The Enders so you didn’t feel like it wasn’t value for money. So literally this package was of two very good games and in my opinion was worth the price tag of £39.99 when it came out.

That’s not the end of the story but after Zone of The Enders there was a dry summer even in Japan for Konami games but after that Silent Hill 2 finally made it to the UK in a special edition 2 disc set that was also released in Japan at the same time which wasn’t available in the States. This was another package from Konami, Silent Hill 2 plus another disc which had videos on the Making if Silent Hill 2 and also Pro Evolution Soccer. This is the scariest game on the PS2 yet and the team of developers have really shown some power of the PS2 in this one and I’m sure graphically there will be no difference between this version and the Xbox version which is coming soon.

After the release of Silent Hill 2 came the release of the best footy game in the world Pro Evolution Soccer, this is the game ISS fans were waiting for it is many time better than ISS 2000 and is far much better than Fifa 2002. Even though it is better than Fifa 2002 it doesn’t sell very well over here as not many people know of it thanks to the marketing strategy of EA who use a lot of money just to put celebrities on their games and it works. Anyway Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer doesn’t need a picture of a footballer in the Premiership to be bought by a real football fan that like realism in a football game rather than over the top score the 23-15 to Turkey in a match between Turkey and France.

Now what UK gamers are waiting for is the hyped Metal Gear Solid 2 which the American and Japanese have sold a lot of copies not only because of hype but probably because it’s a good game (though I can’t judge it as I haven’t played it yet). It is also confirmed that in February there will be a special edition 2 disc set like the Silent Hill 2 package for Metal Gear Solid 2, so the rumour is that since Metal Gear Solid 2 is released at the same time over here as this special edition disc, it may make it over here.

So that’s a summary on the games that Konami have released in the Pal market which can also be called killer apps if there was an award for Japanese developer of the year in the PAL market then Konami should get the award.

Well enough about Konami, I’d just like to say that the Japanese developer that has annoyed me this year is Capcom, all their Pal games have black borders and Onimusha which was set to be killer app had very thick black borders that made the screen quite small especially in cut scenes, even Resident Evil Code: Veronica X, Devil May Cry and Capcom vs. Snk 2 suffer from this. The reason I’ve mention Capcom is the fact that their games have the thickest borders.

Another reason why Capcom disappointed UK gamers was the removal of network play in the UK version of Capcom vs. SNK 2, I know the official hardware isn’t out yet but there are other good USB modems that are compatible with the PS2. They should have followed in Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3’s steps. I mean, the network option was already there in the Japanese version, why wasn’t it included in the UK version, or is this what Japanese developers think about online play in Europe for the PS2, “something that will never happen.”

Thanks for reading merry Christmas and a Happy New Year every one.

Code: 144 Complete.
Tue 23/08/11 at 21:10
This will be "Big" Robs last ride as he's off to sunnier climbs... oh..ok.. Germany.

He's asked if the Team will join him in drink at the Ribchester Arms after the ride.
Mon 22/08/11 at 21:46
Evenin...

We think we can just about squeeze a lasty in for Longridge Fell :)
There are only 4 Weds night rides left for the summer season... it's lights only after that!

Meet at the Ribchester Arms for a 18:00 departure.
Your last chance for a chip barm ;)

PK
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:24
Regular
Ok
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:24
Regular
I`ll be going home on Thursday. If I remember, I`ll dig it out, and look up the names.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:21
Regular
I think I missed out that issue as then I wasnt very serious on collecting magazinez.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:16
Regular
:-) Very true! I can`t remember which way round it was, but it was in PSM2. If you can find the review of ISS2000 back like 14 issues ago or something, then it mentions it briefly.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:14
Regular
Apart from the part of Konami which developed Iss 2000, the others seem to be alright.
Tue 18/12/01 at 19:06
Regular
I think the difference is in which branch of Konami it was. There are so many - KCEJ, KCEW, etc... ISS and Pro Evo for PS2 were made by different sections of Konami, which led to the difference in quality. I`m sure the same reasoning applies to other games too.

Capcom have shown what they think of PS2 in two ways: Moving Res Evil to GC for a while, and giving us a load of black borders. Its a silly move on their part (both of them) and they may regret it later when they realise GC isn`t enough.

Capcom vs SNK was never on my list of wanted games anyway so it doesn`t bother me. However, its a shame to see some developers being scared of online capabilities in Europe.
Tue 18/12/01 at 18:39
Regular
Also thanks for posting to this topic.
Tue 18/12/01 at 18:32
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
That's very true. Konami have done a lot this year, delivering great games and all, good post!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.