GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My N64 ISS98 Review (sorry I couldnt submit it so it's going here.)"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 23:35
Regular
International Superstar Soccer games are a classic act of the game of football and have produced great game play, enjoyment, and new ways of looks within football games. All this can only get better with Konami’s up and coming International Superstar Soccer ’98 which will be one to look forward to.ISS 98 has improvements, from the last coming and has certainly improved in every area. The first thing you will notice when you play the game is the step up in graphics from the last ISS, which is easily noticeable. The animation is much smoother and will really show up the bad points of the first game in comparison. There will be more variation in the thousands of animations that are in the game. Most improvements will only be apparent during the game.

The control system is very similar to the previous games and those that have experience with the other games will get right into the action and have no problem with learning the new controls, which are only slightly different. Due to the improvement in player stats, the game has become more skill and knowledge based, meaning the players are either left or right footed. Which means in the game there is an emphasis of how good the shot or pass is by shooting or passing with the foot the player uses.

The number of venues has increased, now being 8 venues to play at, all with different types of scenery and there is a few more different unique camera angles which can be used to bring out more pleasure in the game from a different perspective. The weather conditions are more realistic and will affect certain things during the game. If it is raining during a game this affects how far the ball rolls along the floor, increases the chances of slipping over and makes the ball bounce less. Altogether these environmental effects are shockingly spectacular and interesting during games.

You can create your own players, choosing their skills, details (including height, which foot they mainly kick with) and even what there ‘face’ looks like. You can load your created players on to your own personal specialteam. And you can edit and import players from other teams and put them into your personal specialteam.
The tactics for your team are relied upon your choice. There are 16 Pre-set formations. You can also use another function in the game enabling you to basically create your own formation by sorting the players into the positions you feel comfortable with. You can organize which players take your penalties, corner kicks from either side, free kicks and choose which player deserves to have the captaincy. The arrow for your free kicks and corners can be made invisible so human opponents don’t know where the ball is being directed and the cursor for you penalties can be hidden for maximum realism in tense penalty shoot outs.

The goalkeepers AI have been improved for more realistic results, unlike previous ISS games the goalie won’t make so many impossible fantastic acrobatically diving Saves! And catch the ball in positions you could only parry at the least. The goalies will often parry powerful shots wide or even onto the post and in some circumstances into the goal. Also you might find the odd rebound off the goalie. The goalkeepers will also punch the ball clear when it comes to aerobic battles against the lurching players of the other team. AI of all players in the game has all increased making the single player more invitingly challenging and interesting.

There is a new mode in the game, “scenario mode” This mode is a set of challenges, which consist of different difficulties. The aim is to play, as a team, which is set for you, you have to win it for your team, and this might involve having to come from behind in the last few minutes of the game. This can cause to be quite a tricky challenge and practice will be needed.

Overall ISS can only get better and as always, the changes from the last game have only increased the greatness of this absolutely fantastic thrilling football game.
Mon 17/12/01 at 23:35
International Superstar Soccer games are a classic act of the game of football and have produced great game play, enjoyment, and new ways of looks within football games. All this can only get better with Konami’s up and coming International Superstar Soccer ’98 which will be one to look forward to.ISS 98 has improvements, from the last coming and has certainly improved in every area. The first thing you will notice when you play the game is the step up in graphics from the last ISS, which is easily noticeable. The animation is much smoother and will really show up the bad points of the first game in comparison. There will be more variation in the thousands of animations that are in the game. Most improvements will only be apparent during the game.

The control system is very similar to the previous games and those that have experience with the other games will get right into the action and have no problem with learning the new controls, which are only slightly different. Due to the improvement in player stats, the game has become more skill and knowledge based, meaning the players are either left or right footed. Which means in the game there is an emphasis of how good the shot or pass is by shooting or passing with the foot the player uses.

The number of venues has increased, now being 8 venues to play at, all with different types of scenery and there is a few more different unique camera angles which can be used to bring out more pleasure in the game from a different perspective. The weather conditions are more realistic and will affect certain things during the game. If it is raining during a game this affects how far the ball rolls along the floor, increases the chances of slipping over and makes the ball bounce less. Altogether these environmental effects are shockingly spectacular and interesting during games.

You can create your own players, choosing their skills, details (including height, which foot they mainly kick with) and even what there ‘face’ looks like. You can load your created players on to your own personal specialteam. And you can edit and import players from other teams and put them into your personal specialteam.
The tactics for your team are relied upon your choice. There are 16 Pre-set formations. You can also use another function in the game enabling you to basically create your own formation by sorting the players into the positions you feel comfortable with. You can organize which players take your penalties, corner kicks from either side, free kicks and choose which player deserves to have the captaincy. The arrow for your free kicks and corners can be made invisible so human opponents don’t know where the ball is being directed and the cursor for you penalties can be hidden for maximum realism in tense penalty shoot outs.

The goalkeepers AI have been improved for more realistic results, unlike previous ISS games the goalie won’t make so many impossible fantastic acrobatically diving Saves! And catch the ball in positions you could only parry at the least. The goalies will often parry powerful shots wide or even onto the post and in some circumstances into the goal. Also you might find the odd rebound off the goalie. The goalkeepers will also punch the ball clear when it comes to aerobic battles against the lurching players of the other team. AI of all players in the game has all increased making the single player more invitingly challenging and interesting.

There is a new mode in the game, “scenario mode” This mode is a set of challenges, which consist of different difficulties. The aim is to play, as a team, which is set for you, you have to win it for your team, and this might involve having to come from behind in the last few minutes of the game. This can cause to be quite a tricky challenge and practice will be needed.

Overall ISS can only get better and as always, the changes from the last game have only increased the greatness of this absolutely fantastic thrilling football game.
Tue 18/12/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
ISS is THE BEST footie series ever!! FIFA looks complete and utter PANTS compared to ISS!! I have ISS 64, '98 and 2000 on my N64. The commentary on the 64 version is the funniest ever! I just wish we heard that amount of 'enthusiasm' in every game on Sky.

ISS 2000 is the best in many ways, but not for long shots. For some reason you just sky it, miles over the bar! I loved how you could core from impossible angles in the '98 version. Even a half-volley from the corner flag!! I did it with Anelka and it bent in bizzarly.

In each of the 3 ISS's i've scored direct from a corner, with the game and keepers on level 4. I can't quite do it on level 5, and my ISS 2000 doesn't work anymore (good old EB!!). Can anyone else score from corners??

I also can't wait for ISS 2002 on the GameCube!!!
Sat 13/08/11 at 16:23
Regular
We are planning to do the Worsthorne ride tomorrow, either the old route or the new route we will decide in the morning. Meet at 9.00 A.M. at the Hurstwood pay and display car park.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.