GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console prices"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 20:28
Regular
Dunno if you guys have noticed but console are getting extreamly exspensive here on release dates than previous consoles.

I got my Snes and i think the release price was £200 on release (correct me if i'm wrong) but now it seems all consoles come charging in at £299. But the US it comes in at $299 now correct me if i'm wrong but there's a little difference between $299 and £299 i mean who does this conversion Homer Simpson?

If i wanted i could get a Game cube on import with everything i need to run it in the uk for about £175 which is the correct conversion from $'s to £'s (take note Sony, microsoft and Nintendo)

I would love to know how they justifiy the huge price difference. It's also starting to happen on other things for example The Simpsons season 1 box set uk price £36 us price $36 which converts to £18! half the price almost.

Anyway rant other i'll come back when i've found another tail of rip off britain (sadly someone already got the catoluge one :( damn)
Mon 17/12/01 at 23:38
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
ok so i was taught Math's from Simpson episodes with Homer doing the sums instead of lisa.

yeah well sony have finaly reduced it a bit compared to the US nintendo won't they say it'll be around £200 for game cube but we've all heard that before plus it works out at £155 in the US so still a rip off.

what did he say about muffins! oh he didn't
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:39
Regular
Inflation is at its lowest rate since the 1960s or somthin.
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:36
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Or†ega wrote:
> All about Supply and demand. People are pre-paired to pay that price.

Look
> at all the recent console launchs. All the initial stock was sold almost
> instantly. People may grumble that the price is too high, but end of the day
> they still go out and buy it.

I bought it, £440 from Comet with 3 games and 2 controllers.
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:36
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Why do I get the feeling you like the simpsons?
--
I also get annoyed about the price difference, although now sony have changed it a bit. In america, they get the PS2 for $299 (about £210). We get it for £199 which is actually about £10 cheaper than in America. Nintendo are likely to do the same as mircrosodt, and as what sony did do ($199 = £199). I don't think these companys can justify doing this, as it couldn't cost them more to make.

Like you said, this is now happening on other things aswell, and this is starting to annoy me even more. The companys should try to make it the same price for us. To top it off, we get it later aswell.

Summary
More expensive + later release date = :-(
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Digging!"
the gamecube is being released at £200 and you have to take inflation into acount since 1992 or whatever
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:34
Regular
All about Supply and demand. People are pre-paired to pay that price.

Look at all the recent console launchs. All the initial stock was sold almost instantly. People may grumble that the price is too high, but end of the day they still go out and buy it.
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:31
Regular
"pob, the originator"
uk_vamp wrote:

> The Simpsons season 1 box set uk price £36 us price $36 which converts to
> £18! half the price almost.

36/2 = 18.
nuff said.
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:28
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
Dunno if you guys have noticed but console are getting extreamly exspensive here on release dates than previous consoles.

I got my Snes and i think the release price was £200 on release (correct me if i'm wrong) but now it seems all consoles come charging in at £299. But the US it comes in at $299 now correct me if i'm wrong but there's a little difference between $299 and £299 i mean who does this conversion Homer Simpson?

If i wanted i could get a Game cube on import with everything i need to run it in the uk for about £175 which is the correct conversion from $'s to £'s (take note Sony, microsoft and Nintendo)

I would love to know how they justifiy the huge price difference. It's also starting to happen on other things for example The Simpsons season 1 box set uk price £36 us price $36 which converts to £18! half the price almost.

Anyway rant other i'll come back when i've found another tail of rip off britain (sadly someone already got the catoluge one :( damn)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.