GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console vs. P.C"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 19:40
Regular
Welcome to the warzone. The battle rages fiercely, and destruction covers the field in a pall of smoke which one can almost taste. Heavily armed troops scream bloody war cries as they charge the enemy trenches, only to be repulsed. Truly, a stalemate of epic proportions.

What combat is this? No, it isn’t some new game. It’s the established arena of gaming, namely the two major sides of electronic gaming: PC vs. Console . Debates rage daily between fans of both platforms, about which one is actually superior to the other. Which one is? Is there a true winner?

Pob has decided to enter the war.

With weapons firmly in hand, Bane and Carpe have launched themselves into the fray, hacking through the hyperbole and foolishness, and moving to attack the root causes of this war. Will they succeed in finding out what is causing all this bloodshed? Will they be struck down by one side or the other?

We have a satellite orbiting over the battlefield, tracking the movement of our two heroes. Begin clicking!

Tracking Subject: Rob Harrow
Codename: Carpe M’Karzi
Weapon of Choice: Walker w/ 9mm mounts
Transcript:

Man, what a proverbial can of worms!
I have owed or played games on an Intellivison, many Atari incarnations, a Vectrex, Sega Genesis, Saturn, and a PSX. I have also owned or played games on a Commodore 64, Apple IIc, Mac Classic and an Intel based PC in several incarnations from 486 to P3 500.

Which is better? The answer is simple: Yes.

No, I am not fence sitting. There are some games out there unique to either console or PC, and they make a strong argument to own both.

It used to be that the games on the consoles were primarily side-scrollers, shooters or driving games. Then came the side-scroller fight game and then, well, then the video game developers figured out that there were people out there who wanted more.

PC ports brought me to buy my first console (I still remember playing Populous on the Genesis), but invariably the games were pale comparisons of the full PC version. Still I could not afford, nor justify buying a computer to just play games (lord knows I tried, but never succeeded). I moved up to the Saturn and eventually to the PSX. I did this because I was addicted to gaming from a young age, and this both fulfilled that need and was a hell of a lot cheaper then the arcade.
With the PSX I found a system that gave me the kind of gaming experience that I was looking for. Three games come to mind, and in my estimation are sufficient reasons to own a PSX: Resident Evil, Carnage Heart, and Tecmo’s Deception. If I had to be stranded on a desert island with only three console games, it would be these three. Having said that, I would never give up my PC for a console, nor would I rather spend the time playing them instead of, let’s say, Homeworld, StarLancer or Tribes.
Why? I simply prefer the graphics and depth in the PC games I play. Yes, there are console games out there with loads of depth (see desert island list above), and there are PC games so thin that you couldn’t cover a half eaten cracker with them, but I prefer my computer and I always will. It is personal preference. If we all like the same things, then Myst 2000 would be coming out!

As the Console machines evolve they are turning into baby, dedicated gaming computers with more graphics power then the average PC, but they lack the storage and versatility of the PC. That will probably change with the PSX2 and X-Box but I will not hold my breath. Online gaming has changed the face of the PC game and it will have to spill over into the console if they are to remain as viable gaming machines.

I have said many times that gamers are a solitary bunch who like the bragging right of kicking their friends’ butts in a game. Console games provided that with split screen games, but the PC MP is light years ahead in that area now. In the end it’s the gamers who win with improved games, gameplay, multiplayer and graphics.

Maybe the future is a mixed media machine. The Intel 1.4Ghz, Win 2001, PSX3 could be the hot gaming item for Christmas 2001. Let’s just wait a see, and for God’s sakes just play!

Subject: Steven Rhoades
Codename: Bane
Weapon of Choice: Daikatana
Transcript:

Orcs vs. Humans. Mario vs. Bowser. PC vs. Console. These sentence fragments represent some of the greatest struggles in gaming, struggles that assuredly will continue until the dusk of time. I can understand the first one, as aside from just being smelly, Orcs are generally unkind, and so they need to be destroyed. The second battle makes a little less sense to me, as the battle between the overgrown lizard and the Italian plumber with the bold fashion statement seems rather odd. However, I am willing to accept this in much the same way as I was able to accept the fact that Dr. Claw always managed to escape Inspector Gadget (or more accurately, Penny).

The third struggle has always struck me as a bit bizarre though. Why must the PC and the Console be pitted as mortal enemies against one another? I understand that they both seek to fill the same spot in gamers’ hearts, but is not the gamer’s heart big enough for the two of them?

I refuse to believe that this is the case. I have been playing on both the PC and Consoles for nearly my entire life, and so I am a living testament to the fact that it can be done. Why is it that other gamers cannot see that both are good? Playing games on only PC, or only Console would be similar to playing soccer in only one cleat. It can be done, but it’s not as much fun.

So if it’s not the gamer that creates the competition, what is it, the systems themselves? Does the PC seek domination over the Console, and vice versa?

This is another conclusion I refuse to believe. Some would say this is impossible on account of the fact that they are simple machines, and can only perform evil if they are programmed to do so. These are the people that have never worked on a paper for several hours only to have the hard drive crash and the paper disappear. Rather, I choose to argue that the machines would not waste their time squabbling among themselves, they would instead ally against the evil oppressors who impose their wills upon the poor machines- i.e. us. Besides, my PC and my N64 are within 3 feet of each other, and if they hated each other so much, one would surely have had an “accident” by now.

This leaves but one option as far as my mind can tell, and that is that the developers choose to pit the PC against the Console.

Why? I may not be a business major, but I know enough to realize that the main goal of everyone is to maximize profits. Convincing the consumer that one platform that your product runs on is inherently evil, whereas the other isn’t, is unlikely to increase profits.

So there you have it. There is no good reason for the unholy hatred that some gamers seem to have towards the system contrary to their favorite. Amendment: If there is a good reason for it, I’m tired of looking. So, follow the example of Bane, and have fun with both systems.

The smoke has begun to clear, and our heroes are returning home, none the worse for wear. We quickly evacuated them from the battlefield, and brought them in for a debriefing. They independently acknowledged the same thing: that consoles and PCs can co-exist in the gaming realm, without bloodshed. However, there are those who will not acknowledge this fact, and seek to destroy their opposite without remorse or pity.

They must be stopped. But how?

The future will stop them, for it is an undeniable fact that consoles are becoming more like PCs, and PCs are showing signs of moving toward console-like behavior. The fusion of the electronic entertainment mediums is drawing closer. It will not be long until all parts of a home entertainment center are enclosed in one box: DVD, Television, PC, Console, Stereo…

For now, until the day when the fusion is complete, let us follow a road of peace. Peace between the console and PC fans. There is no need to fight - we can coexist!

And so, as the dust settles and the combatants meet to clasp hands in the center of the war-torn field, there still exists a certain uneasiness. To cement this newly found peace, we quietly drop a piece of paper down to the field…

“Declare war on the Mac gamers!”

The battle rages anew!

Thanks for Reading,

o(^_^)o
Mon 17/12/01 at 22:00
ya damn right !!
Mon 17/12/01 at 21:51
Regular
d34n0 2k2 wrote:
Now behave ureself ! Uve been told

ohh now you've done it..he said you've been told that means he's serious
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:54
Im not gonna bother checking and im not a notable so i offer no threat to you, but mate, this looks like a cut and paste jobby from another site and if it is, they'l simply take it off the forums and get annoyed with you. And if u continue to do it then ull get banned, its not how u win, being uerself and putting effort into a post is how u win !

Now behave ureself ! Uve been told
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:27
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
uk_vamp wrote:
The pc is good for stragy and FPS and
> the consoles win on everything else SO STOP BRINGING IT UP

Although it very much depend on the title...

I tend to find PC's seem to be on the whole seem more adept at games like FPS, Strategy, Simulators, RPG's, On-Line gaming, etc...

Any game that required a greater number of buttons than those avalible on a controller...

Console titles seem to be better at arcade, platformers, fighting, etc... 'pick up and play' types

Essentially though PC games are aimed at a very different market to console releases...

(which isnt to insinuate that console titles are for kiddies or anything - they are after all top stuff)

But compairing them isnt really a viable option?
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:23
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Reload wrote:
I
> thought you said you write articles for a job, now you're saying you write them,
> because you don't have a job!

Make up your mind, and stop staring - it's
> rude!!!

I send them in to the magasins for a chance at a job. This is what I mean by 'send them in FOR a job'. A strange context I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and a measly typo by saying 'there' instead of 'their'.

Perhaps you should send in your work.
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:13
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
o(^_^)o wrote:
> I am 21, so I should stand a pretty good chance at penetrating there inner
> sanctrum.

Do you mean "their"! And I thought you said you write articles for a job, now you're saying you write them, because you don't have a job!

Make up your mind, and stop staring - it's rude!!!
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:06
Regular
"pob, the originator"
I am 21, so I should stand a pretty good chance at penetrating there inner sanctrum.
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:03
Regular
pob,how old are you?
if you dont mind me asking..(some old people get offended for some reason)
Mon 17/12/01 at 20:00
Regular
"pob, the originator"
big_slow wrote:
i
> would like to know more about this job og yours... (nothing long, its not a
> compo to be the next saint george)

That's the whole point, I carry on writing stuff because I haven't got a job from a magazine.
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:59
Regular
o(^_^)o wrote:
*looking at Mystique*

i know its hard to.But please stop staring

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.