GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super-heroes for kids?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/07/11 at 14:17
"possibly impossible"
Have you noticed that all the traditional family film types have now become darker and therefore 12 or 12A.

I remember a time I could watch a Super-hero movie as a kid and have no problem getting in under 12, but these days directors like to focus on darker themes, making things more realistic.

While this process works well when done correctly (batman, Iron Man etc) there should still be something that younger kids can watch, otherwise where are the heroes they can grow up with? Yes, they have cartoons, but it's not the same.

Even Harry Potter is a 12A, understandably for the darker themes as the series has got older and although many fans have grown up alongside the wizard and his friends, there are others new to the series, kids who are only getting to the age where they can start reading the books.

But do kids need more cinema heroes that they can look up to and that set a good example? Or is this just a sign of the times?
Fri 29/07/11 at 14:44
Regular
That's all well and good, but it doesn't take away from the fact that most Marvel and DC heroes aren't aimed at very young children. Doesn't it make more sense to make films that appeal to the core audience/action film crowd?
Fri 29/07/11 at 11:58
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]As for Dark Knight, I have no problems with it being a darker film, that's not the point. I certainly wouldn't let my 5 and 7 year olds watch it though, but that's ok because it's not aimed at them. What they do need is another hero they can watch and relate to.

Yeah, but I can't really think of any marketable marvel or DC heroes that were geared towards 5-7 year olds in the original comics.[/i]

I guess you were born after Superman The Movie, the old Spider-man films and The Hulk TV series then.

Many heroes can be re-imagined to appeal to a family audience, and there are plenty of heroes that haven't even had films yet, plus more than just the two big comics companies.

They don't have to be dumbed down either. Superman was a great movie.
Fri 29/07/11 at 05:50
Regular
pb wrote:
As for Dark Knight, I have no problems with it being a darker film, that's not the point. I certainly wouldn't let my 5 and 7 year olds watch it though, but that's ok because it's not aimed at them. What they do need is another hero they can watch and relate to.

Yeah, but I can't really think of any marketable marvel or DC heroes that were geared towards 5-7 year olds in the original comics.
Thu 28/07/11 at 08:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
What they do need is another hero they can watch and relate to.

After passing our local park think most of the 12 year old girls hanging round there must have modeled themselves on Hit Girl.
Wed 27/07/11 at 08:58
"possibly impossible"
I'd say that a good writer who didn't pander to the norm would be able to create a decent superhero tale that wasn't dark or had some elements not suitable for young children.

I'm sure there are a lot of adults out there who would appreciate a different approach to some heroes as well. That's not going to take anything away from those heroes who suit the darker look, it's not like you'll lose a Batman film because some other hero has come along.

Back in the day Richard Donner's Superman films were a triumph and still hold up today. A darker Super-man just wouldn't work as well. Plenty of other heroes suit this lighter approach too. Spider-man has 'turned' into a darker series more recently, but some prefer the wise-quipping Peter Parker of old and it looks like we're not going to see this in the latest film either.

As for Dark Knight, I have no problems with it being a darker film, that's not the point. I certainly wouldn't let my 5 and 7 year olds watch it though, but that's ok because it's not aimed at them. What they do need is another hero they can watch and relate to.
Wed 27/07/11 at 01:50
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kids already get too much stuff watered down for them, it's nice to actually have films that appeal to the rest of us.
Wed 27/07/11 at 00:33
Regular
Just because the movie rating has risen, doesn't mean the main characters are any less heroic. I would have no problem with letting my child watch a film like The Dark Knight
Tue 26/07/11 at 16:17
Regular
Didn't they introduce the 12A certificate after all the complaints from parents when the first Spider-Man movie came out with a 12 certificate (although they wanted to give it a 15)?
Tue 26/07/11 at 14:17
"possibly impossible"
Have you noticed that all the traditional family film types have now become darker and therefore 12 or 12A.

I remember a time I could watch a Super-hero movie as a kid and have no problem getting in under 12, but these days directors like to focus on darker themes, making things more realistic.

While this process works well when done correctly (batman, Iron Man etc) there should still be something that younger kids can watch, otherwise where are the heroes they can grow up with? Yes, they have cartoons, but it's not the same.

Even Harry Potter is a 12A, understandably for the darker themes as the series has got older and although many fans have grown up alongside the wizard and his friends, there are others new to the series, kids who are only getting to the age where they can start reading the books.

But do kids need more cinema heroes that they can look up to and that set a good example? Or is this just a sign of the times?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.