GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Psychic Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 18:13
Regular
Wouldn't you so like to read what your pals are thinking of you, or what your mum is deciding to buy you for christmas? Psychics are people (usually carneys) who can (apparently) read peoples minds, or predict future events and so forth.
Thats basically psychic powers summed up, but what happens when you bring a game into the equation...

Imagine a game where there was no need for having your finger positioned above the game pad, waiting for the perfect moment. No rapid finger bashing, where your fingers turn red, then white, and blister and bleed...

This could be done using a direct connection to the mind. Sounds far off, but it actually isn't, its a lot more developed than you think. Already people are having chips implanted in them, tiny circuits sending out pulses to let others know there location. But using this technology could be to the benefit of the gaming industry, and us the gamers. You could simply have a chip implanted in your brain, by which you could send out pulses (your thought waves) which a computer could reconise and translate for you, could make playing a game more easier for you. Or if you don't want gismos inside of you (ladies i know how you feel) then simply there could be a connection using something like a helmet to the head, which could sense your thoughts and various waves, and translate them to inputs.

This could be used for example, on games like tekken and mortal kombat, where two humans literally go matrix fighting style and go at the fastest there mind can handle. You could therotically make your own moves up, and the computer would put them on the screen, which would add a whole new style to fighting games. But of course there would have to be limits, because we all know that some clever cloggs will think off an explosion or nuclear blast to kill the opponent, which would be too excessive. So there would be some rules and boundrys, but as far as creating your own moves goes, the mind is the the limit.

And remember, think before you play...
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:13
Wouldn't you so like to read what your pals are thinking of you, or what your mum is deciding to buy you for christmas? Psychics are people (usually carneys) who can (apparently) read peoples minds, or predict future events and so forth.
Thats basically psychic powers summed up, but what happens when you bring a game into the equation...

Imagine a game where there was no need for having your finger positioned above the game pad, waiting for the perfect moment. No rapid finger bashing, where your fingers turn red, then white, and blister and bleed...

This could be done using a direct connection to the mind. Sounds far off, but it actually isn't, its a lot more developed than you think. Already people are having chips implanted in them, tiny circuits sending out pulses to let others know there location. But using this technology could be to the benefit of the gaming industry, and us the gamers. You could simply have a chip implanted in your brain, by which you could send out pulses (your thought waves) which a computer could reconise and translate for you, could make playing a game more easier for you. Or if you don't want gismos inside of you (ladies i know how you feel) then simply there could be a connection using something like a helmet to the head, which could sense your thoughts and various waves, and translate them to inputs.

This could be used for example, on games like tekken and mortal kombat, where two humans literally go matrix fighting style and go at the fastest there mind can handle. You could therotically make your own moves up, and the computer would put them on the screen, which would add a whole new style to fighting games. But of course there would have to be limits, because we all know that some clever cloggs will think off an explosion or nuclear blast to kill the opponent, which would be too excessive. So there would be some rules and boundrys, but as far as creating your own moves goes, the mind is the the limit.

And remember, think before you play...
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:16
im pyschic
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
I often wonder what will come after the Xbox and the GameCube. After these two consoles are released no one knows what will actually come next, except possibly Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima.

We can speculate over the development of the rumoured PlayStation 3, we can laugh over the idea of a GameSphere and we can giggle insanely over the thought of a Ybox. Whatever, none of us actually knows what’s coming next.

So, let’s use our imaginations.

*Soothing neo-psychedelic music plays*

To be honest, anything could happen next. We don’t know what kind of technical developments the people at Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are up to. But, in a perfect world, here is what I’d like to happen...

~~~~~~~

One idea I’ve always enjoyed entertaining is that of "Dream Gaming".

No, not a Pick’n’Mix kind of thing, but games being played in your dreams. Let me explain:

When you sleep, you get hooked up to a machine, this machine taps the sub-conscious nerves that fire impulses to and from the brain which makes you dream, and manipulates them so you get put into a certain environment. This could be anything... A racetrack for racing games, A strange landscape for adventure games, a footy pitch for football games, anywhere really for FPS’...
The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, before you go to sleep you choose the game. Then, when you fall asleep the machine makes you dream you are in that certain landscape. Then, you just play!

The nerve impulses detect what you want to do in the dream and so you make that movement. Be it to combat roll, fire, run or just to simply walk forward. Whatever your sub-conscious mind thinks, that’s what happens.

Then, when you finish dreaming, the machine scans your brain and instantly saves the point that you got to.

How cool would this be?! Dream Gaming, not only would you have fun playing games, you wouldn’t stay up all night playing them! And do you know how much play you’d get out of it? Well that all depends on how long you sleep and how many R.E.M cycles you go through in one night. But in theory, the more you sleep, the more you dream, the more you play!

I really love the thought of playing games in your sleep; it’d give me a reason to go to bed at night anyway!

*Soothing neo-psychedelic music ends*

~~~~~~~

Well, that’s it from me.

RBS

~~~~~~~

She said it's only in my head. She said, Shhh, I know, it's only in my head.
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:27
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I knew you were going to post that!
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:31
Ace_greg wrote:
> I knew you were going to post that!

cool, in the pyschic topic aswell.
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Digging!"
i dont have a problem with controllers. it works like that for me and controllers, i dont need to think about pushing the button, it just happens.
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:01
Asphalt wrote:
> i dont have a problem with controllers. it works like that for me and
> controllers, i dont need to think about pushing the button, it just happens.

same here, it only takes 1 hour in your life to adjust to the controls and 15 mins of each game.
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
If you think about it mind-control for games wouldn't be that easy, especially for fighting games, as you mentioned. Fighting games normally have complicated moves to them so firstly you would have to memorise them (either from the manual or training mode) then think them in your head to execute whatever move.

Think of controlling GTA3 with your mind. It would be a lot easier just to control it using a pad or take part in it virtually. You would have to think walk forward, turn left/right, shoot and so on - all the key elements needed in the game - which would be very difficult to master. This is the same issue with football games and in fact games of whatever genre. Our intellectual levels (IQ) would have to improve greatly in order for this to work, and developers probably know this.

Control pads are much easier to use. Games are already prepared with what the makers think would be most comfortable for the game. If you don't like the original configurations, most games give you the opportunity to change them to whatever suits you best.

Developers would have to stretch a long way to be able to motion-capture moves that we psychicly make up (still, a nice thought). Action in games are motion-captured meaning that whenever you press a specific button or combination of buttons an already-prepared action is made, so thinking up moves would be absolutely mind-blowing if possible (doesn't mean it's impossible for the future). Every move you make in a game has been motion-captured and a specific button(s) is put to execute whatever move. Making up moves by mind-control would be revolutionary, but still there's nothing in the way to make this a reality!

Another reason why we couldn't have psychic gaming is for our safety. Having a chip inserted in our heads doesn't sound safe at all, and anything could happen even with a helmet that could affect us. As many of us have probably witnessed in sci-fi's, complex head gear fails terribly almost every time. In australia a man had a Playstation shock body armour that would shock you when you've been shot in a game for example, just for that extra realistic feel. This had to be banned as it turned out to be fatal and not that safe after all. Reasons like this make developers reject these great ideas and innovations, but not always. Look at the Olympus Eyetrek glasses for the PS2. Even though it comes at quite a hefty price it has proved to be rather successful in the peripherals department, and no complaints have been made, yet.

It would be brilliant if a psychic innovation could be included as a feature for any console, but highly unlikely. There are too many negative reasons that overrule the positives, which is probably why it would never be used...right now that is. But for the future who know? Day after day, new things are discovered and soon, one day, psychic gaming could be legal, safe and play an essential role in gaming.

Who knows what the future holds.
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:24
reload take it easy, its not a contest to become like saint george. its just for GAD.
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:25
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
big_slow wrote:
> reload take it easy, its not a contest to become like saint george. its just for
> GAD.

I thought people were allowed to post what they want as long as It is within the rules Mitchell :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.