GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time is Too Short"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 16:47
Regular
One hundred sixty-eight. That’s the number of hours in a week. Seems like a lot of time, but lets see what a typical week breaks down like in the life of a student/manager/football player. First, I need to sleep. Despite regular intake of caffeine, I have yet to find a solution to this problem. Most doctors will tell you that eight hours a day is optimal, but for most people I know that would be a luxury. I get about six hours a day, or 42 a week. Eating. Yes, even editors eat, though what exactly, I’m not telling. For food preparation (read: driving to the nearest drive-thru window) and actual consumption, bet on about two hours a day, or 14 a week. Okay, so I’m down to 112 hours a week after the bare necessities are taken care of. Work. I know it’s a bad word, but hey, you have to pay the bills somehow, with enough left over to buy all those great games I don’t get in for review. As it is, I have an additional job on top of my managerial position, which consumes 35 hours a week of my time. 77 Hours left. Working on various managerial assignments, and reviewing the occasional game for SR, takes about 30 hours a week from me right now (though it would be considerably higher if not for the dearth in game releases prior to E3). 47 to go. I go to College full time, working on third and fourth year courses. That takes up about 40 hours a week for class time and homework. Uh oh. Cutting things a bit close here; down to seven hours a week of free time. Okay, lets see what I have left to do: shopping, banking, seeing friends and family, playing for two football teams, reading, writing, commuting to work two hours a day. Hmmm…pulls out calculator…okay, that leaves me with approximately…negative 25 hours a week! Wait, where am I going to find the time to play all those great games I started doing this post for?

Pob's Quick and Easy Ten Step Program to Free Time™

Playing games for me is not just an addiction, it’s an addiction. Er…well, if you understand what I’m trying to say, and you find yourself short on time, here’s my Quick and Easy Ten Step Program (twelve would take too long) to finding all the time you need.

Step One:

Find a job where you can do one or more of the following: sleep, eat, play computer games, do homework, or do your laundry. A job that meets all of these prerequisites is optimal, though very hard to come by. An additional bonus is to make this job accessible from your own home, preferably on your computer, so that you can have an email game or two going on in the background.

Step Two:

Eat at your computer. Just remember: your keyboard doesn’t like anything smaller than your fingers being dropped on it, and nothing larger than your thumb. Crumbs are right out. Also, and please remember this, keep your drink a goodly distance from your tower. Take it from one who knows, and found out the hard way.

Step Three:

There is no Step Three.

Step Four:

Get married. That’s right, tie the old knot. While love is an important part of this, I find that it is equally important to find a spouse who is very, very patient. After all, you are a computer gaming addict, or you wouldn’t be reading this. With a loving, patient spouse, you’ll have someone that will help around the house with such important things as cooking, doing the dishes more than once a month, picking up dirty smelly sweat socks, and shopping/banking. Option Two: Some go for the spouse who also plays games; be careful if choosing this route, unless you can afford to buy a second computer. If you do marry a spouse that plays game, you should definitely subscribe to Step Five below:

Step Five (Optional):

Have children. While the short-term cost to you in time may indeed be considerable, in the long run you’ll have built-in vacuumers, lawn-mowers, and chefs for all of your mundane needs. This should only be risked if following option two of Step Four.

Step Six:

Win the lottery. While some will tell you that this is unlikely, it is also the simplest way to find all the time you’ll need to play all those great games. Unless, of course, you work for a computer gaming magazine, in which case you have a high level of job satisfaction.

Step Seven:

Buy a degree. There are plenty of fine, unaccredited institutions willing to sell you a piece of paper proclaiming your acquisition of a Doctorate in [fill in the blank]. These certificates, if not properly researched by a prospective employer, can provide you with a well-paying, low strain job until such time as you succeed with Step Six above.

Step Eight:

Get injured on the job. That’s right, there’s no better way to find time to play games outside of winning the lottery or using your fake degree. Let the insurance company pay for your time. One caveat: don’t injure your hands, as you’ll need them to manipulate various joysticks, gamepads, mice, and keyboards.

Step Nine:

[blank] who play together stay together. Feel free to fill in the blank with any applicable loved one/special person/person of interest/pet you can think of. Your dog is much less likely to run away from home if you get him hooked on Everquest just like you. Well, okay, it might not work for dogs (I hear they’re mostly gravitating to the prettier trees in Asheron’s Call), but do try to encourage the people in your life to play the same games as you. This way you can play, and visit, at the same time. Once again, be aware of possible complications associated with combining this step with Step Four, above.

Step Ten:

Stop playing computer games. Oops, that’s from my “Ten Steps to Saving a Marriage™” list. Please ignore.

Okay, there you have it, “Pob’s Quick and Easy Ten (or Eight) Step Program to Free Time™”. If you follow all or any of these pieces of advice, you’ll find your gaming time improving dramatically. Of course, if you follow any of these steps, I can in no way be held accountable, nor will I admit to knowing you, your spouse, your children, your dog, or anyone else remotely associated with you in this, or any previous or future life. Good gaming to you.
Sat 23/07/11 at 17:11
See you at 8:30, weather looks good :)
Wed 20/07/11 at 22:26
Regular
Meet at Hare and Hounds, Abbey Village at 08.30am for a ride around the West Pennines, Route To be Decided, but probably taking in Great Hill / Darwin Tower and surroundings.
Mon 17/12/01 at 21:32
Regular
I agree with you, time is too short like Eddie Murphy in Holy Man said that "at most you have 75 years to live," he also explained further "that this is only 75 autumns, 75 springs, 75 summers and 75 winters thats how short life is" this also makes time too short as you dont have much of your life to do everything.
Mon 17/12/01 at 16:47
Regular
"pob, the originator"
One hundred sixty-eight. That’s the number of hours in a week. Seems like a lot of time, but lets see what a typical week breaks down like in the life of a student/manager/football player. First, I need to sleep. Despite regular intake of caffeine, I have yet to find a solution to this problem. Most doctors will tell you that eight hours a day is optimal, but for most people I know that would be a luxury. I get about six hours a day, or 42 a week. Eating. Yes, even editors eat, though what exactly, I’m not telling. For food preparation (read: driving to the nearest drive-thru window) and actual consumption, bet on about two hours a day, or 14 a week. Okay, so I’m down to 112 hours a week after the bare necessities are taken care of. Work. I know it’s a bad word, but hey, you have to pay the bills somehow, with enough left over to buy all those great games I don’t get in for review. As it is, I have an additional job on top of my managerial position, which consumes 35 hours a week of my time. 77 Hours left. Working on various managerial assignments, and reviewing the occasional game for SR, takes about 30 hours a week from me right now (though it would be considerably higher if not for the dearth in game releases prior to E3). 47 to go. I go to College full time, working on third and fourth year courses. That takes up about 40 hours a week for class time and homework. Uh oh. Cutting things a bit close here; down to seven hours a week of free time. Okay, lets see what I have left to do: shopping, banking, seeing friends and family, playing for two football teams, reading, writing, commuting to work two hours a day. Hmmm…pulls out calculator…okay, that leaves me with approximately…negative 25 hours a week! Wait, where am I going to find the time to play all those great games I started doing this post for?

Pob's Quick and Easy Ten Step Program to Free Time™

Playing games for me is not just an addiction, it’s an addiction. Er…well, if you understand what I’m trying to say, and you find yourself short on time, here’s my Quick and Easy Ten Step Program (twelve would take too long) to finding all the time you need.

Step One:

Find a job where you can do one or more of the following: sleep, eat, play computer games, do homework, or do your laundry. A job that meets all of these prerequisites is optimal, though very hard to come by. An additional bonus is to make this job accessible from your own home, preferably on your computer, so that you can have an email game or two going on in the background.

Step Two:

Eat at your computer. Just remember: your keyboard doesn’t like anything smaller than your fingers being dropped on it, and nothing larger than your thumb. Crumbs are right out. Also, and please remember this, keep your drink a goodly distance from your tower. Take it from one who knows, and found out the hard way.

Step Three:

There is no Step Three.

Step Four:

Get married. That’s right, tie the old knot. While love is an important part of this, I find that it is equally important to find a spouse who is very, very patient. After all, you are a computer gaming addict, or you wouldn’t be reading this. With a loving, patient spouse, you’ll have someone that will help around the house with such important things as cooking, doing the dishes more than once a month, picking up dirty smelly sweat socks, and shopping/banking. Option Two: Some go for the spouse who also plays games; be careful if choosing this route, unless you can afford to buy a second computer. If you do marry a spouse that plays game, you should definitely subscribe to Step Five below:

Step Five (Optional):

Have children. While the short-term cost to you in time may indeed be considerable, in the long run you’ll have built-in vacuumers, lawn-mowers, and chefs for all of your mundane needs. This should only be risked if following option two of Step Four.

Step Six:

Win the lottery. While some will tell you that this is unlikely, it is also the simplest way to find all the time you’ll need to play all those great games. Unless, of course, you work for a computer gaming magazine, in which case you have a high level of job satisfaction.

Step Seven:

Buy a degree. There are plenty of fine, unaccredited institutions willing to sell you a piece of paper proclaiming your acquisition of a Doctorate in [fill in the blank]. These certificates, if not properly researched by a prospective employer, can provide you with a well-paying, low strain job until such time as you succeed with Step Six above.

Step Eight:

Get injured on the job. That’s right, there’s no better way to find time to play games outside of winning the lottery or using your fake degree. Let the insurance company pay for your time. One caveat: don’t injure your hands, as you’ll need them to manipulate various joysticks, gamepads, mice, and keyboards.

Step Nine:

[blank] who play together stay together. Feel free to fill in the blank with any applicable loved one/special person/person of interest/pet you can think of. Your dog is much less likely to run away from home if you get him hooked on Everquest just like you. Well, okay, it might not work for dogs (I hear they’re mostly gravitating to the prettier trees in Asheron’s Call), but do try to encourage the people in your life to play the same games as you. This way you can play, and visit, at the same time. Once again, be aware of possible complications associated with combining this step with Step Four, above.

Step Ten:

Stop playing computer games. Oops, that’s from my “Ten Steps to Saving a Marriage™” list. Please ignore.

Okay, there you have it, “Pob’s Quick and Easy Ten (or Eight) Step Program to Free Time™”. If you follow all or any of these pieces of advice, you’ll find your gaming time improving dramatically. Of course, if you follow any of these steps, I can in no way be held accountable, nor will I admit to knowing you, your spouse, your children, your dog, or anyone else remotely associated with you in this, or any previous or future life. Good gaming to you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.