GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What are you like?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 16:18
Regular
You are all flipping lemmings…no, worse…bleedin’ sheep, that's what you are. All linin’ to be fleeced in the name of the holy framerate.

Every six months the big boys release a ‘new’ video card and there you are, panting and sweating like a pig, tryin’ to figure out how to forestall eating for a month so you can buy the bloody thing.
You are all so absolutely gullible…some poncey git tells you that you can go from 110 to 125 frames per second when playing Quake 3: The Disappointment and you go all rubbery-legged and doe-eyed. Like you can actually tell the difference! Listen up, Copernicus; if your video card is putting out 125 FPS and your monitor only refreshes at 75 times a second... Do the math. You are not seeing 125FPS, you are seeing 75!

Lord, the human eye, which most of you Neanderthals are supposed to be equipped with, cannot see the difference after 60, and most of you cave dwellers couldn’t tell the difference after 50!
And what’s the price for this magical number of frames? £300.00. £300.00 for a flipping Video card! You could buy 1024MBs of RAM and actually see the effect on your computer for less.
I know some toffee-nosed nit that actually paid that much for a Video card and that’s only to hold him over until the Voodoo 10000 comes out -- you know, the one that plugs into the wall and is longer that most cases?!

For the love of Pete, don’t any of you remember anything they taught you in Physics? If you pump in that much power you will create more heat. Oh sure, the Video Card has fans, but that just means it heats up your whole case. And for what? 135 FPS?

“Oh, look mommy, I have UT running at 148 FPS; my frickin' motherboard is melting but ooooh look at the FPS.”
I swear, most of you twits have more nose hair than brains!
If you really need to spend the money, give it to a charity or send it to a needy Emu.
God, your types really make me nauseous.
Bah.

I did not mean to offend any people but the accusations from my Beyond the Possible column.

*GASP!!!*

I said column, oh no! I must of copied this............
Mon 18/07/11 at 19:24
We're looking at doing Rivington this Weds.

Meet at the usual place on the avenue at 17:45pm

PK
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:19
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Luke, you know I'm a tidying obsessive..you've seen my room, can't stand things getting dusty or out of place..

Ahem.

I'm very happy with my specs, heh, but for the launch price of those consoles you could have an equally nice box..I stopped after the PS2, I'll let my mate buy console stuff and go steal it occasionally..
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:16
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Atlantis SiNiSTAR wrote:
> And what system/console do you play games on Mister Angry?
Go on, admit it - I
> bet you it's a Commodore 64.
It is isn't it?
I knew it!

I actually play on a Playstation 2; which I have since 24th of November 2000. I also have plans to buy an XBOX and Gamecube both at launch. I am only 14, but I spend all my money on games - usually form SR :-) - as I go into Southampton every weekend.

Oh yeah, and that other dude should be very happy at his P.C specs.

o(^_^)o
Mon 17/12/01 at 19:10
Mental image of Phil being really annoyed by how difficult it is to dust his room..

I don't have enough money to keep up with gaming needs, and if I did I'd have better things to spend it on, but I like messing with computers and I can understand why people do. Hell, my two best friends are hardware freaks. Sigh.

*Sits on the fence and whistles a bit*
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:44
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
You don't usually -have- to do that, you can play new games at lower detail settings - if you want everything at highest quality, you pay for it. If you do it fairly regularly, you can also sell your old kit off and put the money towards a new one, or do as I seem to and accumilate old boxen around the room to make dusting a hassle..
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:18
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
This is one of the main reasons I don't use my PC primarily for gaming.

I'd feel I had to upgrade my video card once every 6/12 months, and it's a vicious cycle when you then find you need extra RAM, then an upgrading processor, and then by that time a new video card again.

Too much money involved.
Mon 17/12/01 at 16:45
Regular
And what system/console do you play games on Mister Angry?
Go on, admit it - I bet you it's a Commodore 64.
It is isn't it?
I knew it!
Mon 17/12/01 at 16:43
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Sigh. I am a hardware freak. I'm one of the people that feels the need to buy the latest hardware, get good 3d mark scores and excessive frame rates. So? It's what we like doing...same effect as people who mod their cars. Partly, it personalises it for us - having your own individual case with mods, lights and etches as you want. Second, it gives Braggin' Rites over the rest of the hardware crowd..

The difference may not be noticable now, and at the moment I'm damn pleased with my main box (AthlonXP 1600, 64mb GeForce3, 512mb DDR). I do like stupidly high frame rates, yes, but I prefer the ability to play any game straight off the shelf at high detail, 1600x1200. Is it noticable? Yes, I went back to a GeForce2 MX for a while the other day, and gave up on games - Whatever we say about graphics not mattering and gameplaying being the major fact, they can make a game a damn sight more enjoyable.

Does this come at the expense of temperatures? Nope. My CPU Never runs above 43C under load, and my case temps hover around half that. That's on my current case, new one being delivered this week with 5 fans, exhausts, SK6...a total of about 235cfm through the case. I could drop them further with an aluminium case, peltier, water cooling or vapochill...

I seem to be spending much more money on my case than the stuff inside it at the moment. Everyone says that's stupid, you don't get any extra benefit by having a nice cae (excpet it's pretty..), but a well designed one will greatly improve airflow and be much easier to work in. Also, I think that I'll be doing a major upgrade of most of my components some time in Q3 next year (just finished upgrading my last system, which is current a duron 750 barebones box in the corner), and again a year or so later. This case will last me through all of those, doing it's job and looking generally pretty. It wont need upgrading, so I consider it a far sounder investment than the components.

I'm only 14, I can't afford to continually upgrade my system - it's hard enough keeping 2 useable boxen to lend people for LANs - but it is something that I, and several hundred other people at OCuk, enjoy. Good overclock out of a CPU is very satisfying, and competitive between each other to squeeze more out of them - I'm determined to get my Duron 750 past 1008mhz..the difference I notice while using it will be fairly small, but it's something we like doing.

And yes, we're geeks. And damn proud.
Mon 17/12/01 at 16:18
Regular
"pob, the originator"
You are all flipping lemmings…no, worse…bleedin’ sheep, that's what you are. All linin’ to be fleeced in the name of the holy framerate.

Every six months the big boys release a ‘new’ video card and there you are, panting and sweating like a pig, tryin’ to figure out how to forestall eating for a month so you can buy the bloody thing.
You are all so absolutely gullible…some poncey git tells you that you can go from 110 to 125 frames per second when playing Quake 3: The Disappointment and you go all rubbery-legged and doe-eyed. Like you can actually tell the difference! Listen up, Copernicus; if your video card is putting out 125 FPS and your monitor only refreshes at 75 times a second... Do the math. You are not seeing 125FPS, you are seeing 75!

Lord, the human eye, which most of you Neanderthals are supposed to be equipped with, cannot see the difference after 60, and most of you cave dwellers couldn’t tell the difference after 50!
And what’s the price for this magical number of frames? £300.00. £300.00 for a flipping Video card! You could buy 1024MBs of RAM and actually see the effect on your computer for less.
I know some toffee-nosed nit that actually paid that much for a Video card and that’s only to hold him over until the Voodoo 10000 comes out -- you know, the one that plugs into the wall and is longer that most cases?!

For the love of Pete, don’t any of you remember anything they taught you in Physics? If you pump in that much power you will create more heat. Oh sure, the Video Card has fans, but that just means it heats up your whole case. And for what? 135 FPS?

“Oh, look mommy, I have UT running at 148 FPS; my frickin' motherboard is melting but ooooh look at the FPS.”
I swear, most of you twits have more nose hair than brains!
If you really need to spend the money, give it to a charity or send it to a needy Emu.
God, your types really make me nauseous.
Bah.

I did not mean to offend any people but the accusations from my Beyond the Possible column.

*GASP!!!*

I said column, oh no! I must of copied this............

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.