GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless Broadband connection?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 11:04
Regular
Taken from http://www.techexpo.com/news/21070301.html

"JULY 3, 2001, MOBILE, AL -- Accelerated Technology, Inc. (ATI) has announced their part in Tantivy Communication Inc.'s revolutionary technology, I-CDMA, which enables portable, end-to-end, wireless broadband Internet access. Tantivy's I-CDMA technology, bolstered by ATI's Nucleus RTOS, will enable wireless telecommunications service providers to offer consumers affordable access to rich Internet content with near symmetric uplink and downlink capabilities for applications such as streaming media or opening e-mail files with large attachments.

I-CDMA technology is ideal for anyone who needs the freedom to take the Internet with them and for those needing a fast and reliable connection to the Internet when wired technologies aren't an option. With I-CDMA's anywhere, always-on Internet access, an executive can now immediately access his or her corporate intranet while sitting in an airport, and a realtor on a property site can e-mail property information and photos to a prospective buyer in another state real-time."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yup, you gussed it, this is another "What does that mean for us gamers?" post. Sorry.

So, what does this mean for us gamers?

Well, a wireless broadband internet connection could mean all manner of things. I may be jumping to conclusions, but I remember reading that Sony wanted to enter the handheld gaming market to compete with the GBA.

However, the Sony person said that it wouldn't be for a little while, as he wasn't too impressed with the screen for the GBA. He wanted a handheld that could handle "proper" PSX type graphics.

So, why not throw a broadband wireless 'net connection in there as well? HOW GOOD WOULD THAT BE!

You're on the bus on the way to work/school whatever, and you fancy a bit of multiplater gaming. Whip out your Sony HandStation (name not confirmed yet), turn it on, log onto the 'net and start playing multiplayer GT2. Nice!

Or perhaps you just want to surf the 'net instead. Needing to check up on some football scores, or check train times or something. Sod this slow WAP rubbish! You can do it all when mobile phones get this new broadband connection as well.

Discuss.
Fri 08/07/11 at 21:41
Regular
Meet at hare and hounds at 8.30 am for an attack on the three peaks, great hill, rivington and darwin tower, contact psye for details
Thu 20/12/01 at 11:22
Sod logging on to the net, I want to play when I'm on a plane or train or bus or coach, against the other people within range!

A local bluetooth connection, that may link to a broadband net connection...

This is slowly happening, games are beginning to push mobile technology.

Soon, you will get a phone, games machine and intenet access all-in-one. It might look like a GBA, or maybe that new Nokia thingy.
Tue 18/12/01 at 10:21
Regular
The article does say that the access will be "affordable", so I guess it won't be *that* expensive.

The technology is already there, so I don't think it will take 10 years before it's in the mainstream. The only reason household broadband isn't more available in the UK is because BT and the other sevice providers are useless.

If someone like Sony did want to put a wireless broadband connection into a handheld (and why not, Sony certainly don't do things by half measures!), they would obviously have to insure that the backbone was there initially for the users.
Mon 17/12/01 at 21:01
Regular
Interesting, but it'll cost more than mobile phones which are expensive enough as it is.

Don't expect to be playing handhelds on this for atleast 10 years, and then it'll eat your money away like nothing you've seen before.

I'm more looking forward to home broadband access at the moment.
Mon 17/12/01 at 11:04
Regular
Taken from http://www.techexpo.com/news/21070301.html

"JULY 3, 2001, MOBILE, AL -- Accelerated Technology, Inc. (ATI) has announced their part in Tantivy Communication Inc.'s revolutionary technology, I-CDMA, which enables portable, end-to-end, wireless broadband Internet access. Tantivy's I-CDMA technology, bolstered by ATI's Nucleus RTOS, will enable wireless telecommunications service providers to offer consumers affordable access to rich Internet content with near symmetric uplink and downlink capabilities for applications such as streaming media or opening e-mail files with large attachments.

I-CDMA technology is ideal for anyone who needs the freedom to take the Internet with them and for those needing a fast and reliable connection to the Internet when wired technologies aren't an option. With I-CDMA's anywhere, always-on Internet access, an executive can now immediately access his or her corporate intranet while sitting in an airport, and a realtor on a property site can e-mail property information and photos to a prospective buyer in another state real-time."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yup, you gussed it, this is another "What does that mean for us gamers?" post. Sorry.

So, what does this mean for us gamers?

Well, a wireless broadband internet connection could mean all manner of things. I may be jumping to conclusions, but I remember reading that Sony wanted to enter the handheld gaming market to compete with the GBA.

However, the Sony person said that it wouldn't be for a little while, as he wasn't too impressed with the screen for the GBA. He wanted a handheld that could handle "proper" PSX type graphics.

So, why not throw a broadband wireless 'net connection in there as well? HOW GOOD WOULD THAT BE!

You're on the bus on the way to work/school whatever, and you fancy a bit of multiplater gaming. Whip out your Sony HandStation (name not confirmed yet), turn it on, log onto the 'net and start playing multiplayer GT2. Nice!

Or perhaps you just want to surf the 'net instead. Needing to check up on some football scores, or check train times or something. Sod this slow WAP rubbish! You can do it all when mobile phones get this new broadband connection as well.

Discuss.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.