GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Flying, Invisibility and Shape-Shifting"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 10:13
Regular
Action/Adventures are my favourite genre, but recently it has come to my attention that the controllable characters in these types of games (with a few exceptions) are becoming more and more realistic and less and less fantastic. Their special abilities are shrinking in number. Some characters cannot even muster a small hop, never mind a long acrobatic jump. This is regretable, and something must be done to redress this over-emphasis on attempted "realism".
It is because of this that I have drawn up a threefold list of my favourite special abilities which I believe should feature more in the Action/Adventure genre.

**FLYING**
Only thoroughbred nincompoops do not want to fly - but sadly, Mother Nature did not see fit to gift we humans with wings - so we can only get airborne by means of various contraptions. But videogames are fantasy, so gravity is of no consequence therein. So whilst I am controlling my fantasy character in a fantasy game-world, I want to do things that I cannot do in real life - and one of them is fly. And when I say fly, I do not mean a weak gliding ability from platform to platform. No. When I say fly, I mean FLY - as in "above the clouds". SEGA's soon to be released "Rez" for Dreamcast & PS2 looks promising in this respect. Within a game where flying is featured, there should be no need to limit to its use. Flying could be the prime means of transporting the character from action zone to action zone. The inclusion of flying would improve the character's attacking potential, creating a greater dexerity in combat. Furthermore it would give the gamer a wider feeling of freedom. All in all, the ability to fly in Action/Adventures would (in a general and enjoyable way) give the genre a much needed fantasy injection.

**INVISIBILITY**
Frodo Baggins slips the Ring on his finger and he disappears. Invisibility is another power I am sure most of us would like to have at our disposal in the real world. But alas it will never be. Yet there is no reason why this fantasy ability should not be utilized more often in Adventure games. Of course it would have to be limited, but nonetheless it would certainly spice up dangerous in-game moments as you would tiptoe unseen through a throng of oblivious enemies for example. It would give you time to strategically manoeuvre your character into better positions so he/she could attack with more devasting effect. It would allow you to creep undetected into forbidden areas. The stealth and sneaky elements of gameplay would be increased manyfold by the introduction of (limited) invisibility. It would also put a much needed non-violent power into your hands. How you would use its limited potential would be down to personal judgement - thus I think intensifying the fun factor. I am in no doubt that invisibility is an greatly under-used special ability in modern Adventures.

**SHAPE-SHIFTING**
Ah yes, the magical art of transmogrification. The shamans have claimed for thousands of years to be able to do it. David Icke believes the Queen Mother and other renowned world figures shift into a 12 foot lizards during secret and sinister rituals at Balmoral. But pushing these wild claims and conspiracy theories to one side, shape-shifting is a fantastic ability to have in a game. What would the ultimate gaming supehero be able to do? He would able to shape-shift into any number of different species and beings. Into animals capable of realistic hunter attacks. Into otherworldly beasts capable of riotous methods of carnage. Depending on what could be gained, the character could transform from a man into a woman and vice-versa. Just imagine how the gameplay would be infused with variety and interesting possibilities. Simply by including special shape-shifting abilities, the dynamic of fantasy Adventure gameplay would be improved no end.

So in conclusion: what is needed in the Action/Adventure genre? My answer is this: less emphasis on realism, and more emphasis on over-the-top fantasy - especially in the special ability department.

Atlantis
Mon 17/12/01 at 10:13
Regular
Action/Adventures are my favourite genre, but recently it has come to my attention that the controllable characters in these types of games (with a few exceptions) are becoming more and more realistic and less and less fantastic. Their special abilities are shrinking in number. Some characters cannot even muster a small hop, never mind a long acrobatic jump. This is regretable, and something must be done to redress this over-emphasis on attempted "realism".
It is because of this that I have drawn up a threefold list of my favourite special abilities which I believe should feature more in the Action/Adventure genre.

**FLYING**
Only thoroughbred nincompoops do not want to fly - but sadly, Mother Nature did not see fit to gift we humans with wings - so we can only get airborne by means of various contraptions. But videogames are fantasy, so gravity is of no consequence therein. So whilst I am controlling my fantasy character in a fantasy game-world, I want to do things that I cannot do in real life - and one of them is fly. And when I say fly, I do not mean a weak gliding ability from platform to platform. No. When I say fly, I mean FLY - as in "above the clouds". SEGA's soon to be released "Rez" for Dreamcast & PS2 looks promising in this respect. Within a game where flying is featured, there should be no need to limit to its use. Flying could be the prime means of transporting the character from action zone to action zone. The inclusion of flying would improve the character's attacking potential, creating a greater dexerity in combat. Furthermore it would give the gamer a wider feeling of freedom. All in all, the ability to fly in Action/Adventures would (in a general and enjoyable way) give the genre a much needed fantasy injection.

**INVISIBILITY**
Frodo Baggins slips the Ring on his finger and he disappears. Invisibility is another power I am sure most of us would like to have at our disposal in the real world. But alas it will never be. Yet there is no reason why this fantasy ability should not be utilized more often in Adventure games. Of course it would have to be limited, but nonetheless it would certainly spice up dangerous in-game moments as you would tiptoe unseen through a throng of oblivious enemies for example. It would give you time to strategically manoeuvre your character into better positions so he/she could attack with more devasting effect. It would allow you to creep undetected into forbidden areas. The stealth and sneaky elements of gameplay would be increased manyfold by the introduction of (limited) invisibility. It would also put a much needed non-violent power into your hands. How you would use its limited potential would be down to personal judgement - thus I think intensifying the fun factor. I am in no doubt that invisibility is an greatly under-used special ability in modern Adventures.

**SHAPE-SHIFTING**
Ah yes, the magical art of transmogrification. The shamans have claimed for thousands of years to be able to do it. David Icke believes the Queen Mother and other renowned world figures shift into a 12 foot lizards during secret and sinister rituals at Balmoral. But pushing these wild claims and conspiracy theories to one side, shape-shifting is a fantastic ability to have in a game. What would the ultimate gaming supehero be able to do? He would able to shape-shift into any number of different species and beings. Into animals capable of realistic hunter attacks. Into otherworldly beasts capable of riotous methods of carnage. Depending on what could be gained, the character could transform from a man into a woman and vice-versa. Just imagine how the gameplay would be infused with variety and interesting possibilities. Simply by including special shape-shifting abilities, the dynamic of fantasy Adventure gameplay would be improved no end.

So in conclusion: what is needed in the Action/Adventure genre? My answer is this: less emphasis on realism, and more emphasis on over-the-top fantasy - especially in the special ability department.

Atlantis
Tue 18/12/01 at 13:19
Regular
I agree. Realism stinks man's height. Fantasy is the foundation upon which fun is built.
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:26
Regular
"You've upset me"
You two are the same person you gimboid!

Why'd ya change your name to Zarathrusta, Atlantis? And Vice-versa.
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:29
Regular
So he can reply to his own topic of course.

Zathathingy you're weird mate.
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> So he can reply to his own topic of course.

Zathathingy you're weird mate.

Heh. His past names have included Nomad_Soul and EyeCandy. You're telling me he's weird!

:-D
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:36
Regular
Atlantis is my twisted shadow twin. I have no control of him. He just takes over in moments of weakness.
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:40
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ermmmm... Yeah... *Backs away*
Wed 06/07/11 at 08:07
Regular
Meet at 5.45 route to be decided

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.