GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WHICH CONSOLE WILL BE EMPEROR OF THE COMPUTING WORLD"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/12/01 at 21:31
Regular
WITH THE UPCOMING GAMECUBE THE DREAMCAST AND PS2 MIGHT HAVE A RUN FOR THERE MONEY ANE1 AGREE
Mon 17/12/01 at 00:06
Hey, sorry people I'm just a bit confused, why is my message ahead of people that replyed first?
Sun 16/12/01 at 23:50
Hi this is my first day here.

"WHICH CONSOLE WILL BE EMPEROR OF THE COMPUTING WORLD (?)"

Out of... DC, PS2, GCN, Xbox…

(This is in my descending order)

4th place ***Dreamcast***

SEGA's Dreamcast (unfortunately, no longer
In production) was the earliest out of the 4 consoles to hit the market. I doubt the Dreamcast will be the "EMPEROR OF THE COMPUTING WORLD".
For a start Dreamcast's are no longer in production (obviously) and I don't think SEGA were thinking the Dreamcast would be a massive hit and a mind blower. This is where their sort of plan of action and thoughts came into it.

My Theory of "SEGA's" solutions and reasons for bringing the Dreamcast to us before GCN and Xbox

Since the Megadrive, SEGA's consoles have seemed to hit the market just a while before other companies consoles. (E.G The Sega Saturn come out just before the PSX and N64)

The reason for this in my opinion is that SEGA knew that if they brought out the Dreamcast around the same time as the Xbox and GCN, there wouldn't be a lot of sells. Reason being the GCN and Xbox would totally sell out much more than the Dreamcast, mainly because the GCN and Xbox are making new heights in the gaming industry (the consoles are getting better graphics etc.)
People will also look at the history of the company's consoles and see that the SEGA Saturn couldn't keep up/compare to the PSX and N64, so that would suggest to them the GCN and Xbox would be slightly better than the Dreamcast.
SEGA knowing this would very most likely happen to have reacted by producing the Dreamcast a couple of years before the Xbox and GCN were to be sold. This was a clever way to go for SEGA at the time because the Dreamcast was the best console they could of produced (graphics wise etc.) at the time so they put the launch date a few years forward. By doing this the Dreamcast got a lot of sells than if it had come out with the GCN and Xbox. This choice was sensible because if it had come out the same time of the latter consoles it, to be frankly honest wouldn’t of stood a chance of getting over the GCN and Xbox, them 2 would be head and shoulders above the Dreamcast. Them consoles just have much more power and options.
So if my theory is correct the Dreamcast can’t be "EMPEROR OF THE COMPUTING WORLD" because otherwise they would have launched it with the GCN and Xbox and had a chance of selling out the most.

The Dreamcast is still a great gaming console though, but doesn’t make it to the best in my view.
(Does anyone understand the point I am getting across here?)

3rd place *** Xbox***

For me this console will posistion in 3rd place.
This console will be Microsoft’s first ever console and nobody knows how it will turn out yet. It could be great! It could be noticeably not as good as the GCN, we shall see, maybe.

Reviewing Microsoft’s Xbox, I would say it would be interesting to see how this console will turn out. I don’t think this will be the most popular console out of the 4 because SONY and Nintendo have past consoles and have experience of making good consoles and games. And people know what they are capable of producing for the heights of gaming at the moment in time.

Looking at the specifications of the system you can almost guarantee it will be better than the Dreamcast because it is much more powerful and has more options. The console will have a lot more game companies producing games for it than the Dreamcast and probably GCN and PS2. But here that saying comes into play again “it’s quality not quantity” It doesn’t matter if the Xbox has 50 more companies making games for it because most of them won’t be well known and the games won’t be excellent. Whereas the GCN and PS2 will have companies like Rare, Acclaim, Nintendo, Konami etc. Which will be expected to produce over standard games that are worth buying and playing.

So I think it will be better than the Dreamcast. But I think the PS2 and GCN will just about over power it. Although the console will definatly be a great one and worth playing. Other reasons for the PS2 being better will follow in the next segment.

2nd place ***PS2***

Yes in my 2nd place is the PS2 of SONY.
Everybody knows that SONY are a great company and people have enjoyed their previous consoles (PSX & PS1) I think the Xbox might take after the SONY consoles in the way that before the “PSX” SONY hadn’t made a console and nobody knew what they would turn out to be like. Now we know what SONY are like and that they have turned into a great company and people look forward to their future consoles. The same might go with the Microsoft consoles. Their first console (Xbox) might hopefully be like the PSX was.
People will buy it and see what it’s like and if it makes it to the standard the PSX managed to make around the time of the N64 and SEGA Saturn, it could turn out to be very popular. Then if Microsoft brings another console out in the future people will look back and see the Xbox and see that the new console will be good because they then know what the first Mircosoft console was like. (The PS2 is better because it is further in development of a console getting better)

But coming to the point The PS2 is getting ranked higher for me because it has already gone through the path (mentioned above) the Xbox is going to go through and is now at the next stage trying to improve their standards as good as Nintendo’s.

1ST place ***GCN***

For me this will be the “EMPEROR OF THE COMPUTING WORLD". Everyone knows what Nintendo can do with the technology available and that they can really turn it into great performances. The past of Nintendo says it all, the NES, SNES and N64 are all great consoles and people will expect the GCN to follow these standards and be that step higher than the other consoles around them.
The GCN will have popular and good companies making games for the console, which is essential in making the console a winner. It could be the big difference between the GCN and Xbox and will accelerate the amount of GCN customers to the Xbox ones.
The PS2 will be a closer competition to the GCN than the Xbox in my opinion because The PS2 Is a reliability, everybody knows the PSX and it is very popular even though the games aren’t as good as the 64’s in my opinion! The PSX is just fancied more by the customers and a lot more people have it than the N64. So a lot of people will get the sequel.
But I think the GCN is going to be the best console.

Sorry for waffling on :)

This is my view of the ranking of best consoles in the future though..
Sun 16/12/01 at 21:37
Regular
the dreamcast......surely you jest
Sun 16/12/01 at 21:35
Regular
Oh god, can you stop spamming the place up, you stupid gibbon.

Wouldn't you be better off eating bananas and throwing your poo at people?
Sun 16/12/01 at 21:34
Regular
"pob, the originator"
Stop spamming.
Stop spamming.
Stop spamming.
Stop spamming.
Stop spamming.
STOP SPAMMING!!!
Sun 16/12/01 at 21:31
WITH THE UPCOMING GAMECUBE THE DREAMCAST AND PS2 MIGHT HAVE A RUN FOR THERE MONEY ANE1 AGREE

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.