GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Black bar at right hand side of the screen???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/12/01 at 16:45
Regular
I have had my PS2 for about a month now and have been noticing that in most games, and demos, there is a black bar that goes verticaly down the right hand side of the screen.

I have a widescreen tv so I just shift the screen to the right, but IMHO I really shouldn't have to.

Also I have tried it with DVDs and they are fine its just the formats I mentioned above. Also before I even play my game, it is clearly visible in the browser screen as well.

When I was in my local dixons I saw GT3 running on a widescreen tv, and I think it was doing it there too.

Is this meant to do this or is there something wrong with my machine?????
Sun 16/12/01 at 18:39
Regular
the best thing is to correct it with the 'adjust screen' option in most games, and try not to notice it
Sun 16/12/01 at 18:33
"High polygon count"
"RGB shift" as it is called is a common problem when connecting consoles to TV's using RGB SCART. PSone was the same, and it's the reason that most games give you the option of centring the screen somewhere in the options menu.

There's nothing wrong with your PS2 or your TV.
Sun 16/12/01 at 17:31
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mine does that aswell. Its due to me getting a proper RGB scart cable. My RGB scart cable has a switch to switch it to composite for playing DVD movies. When I use composite mode the picture is fine, put it to full DVD and it shifts leaving a black bar. The trouble with PS2's is they are designed to work with TV's. But TV's come in a number of sizes and ratio's and also different makes and models. The only thing you can do is to move the picture for each game that allows you to.
Sun 16/12/01 at 16:45
Regular
"Kiss my face!"
I have had my PS2 for about a month now and have been noticing that in most games, and demos, there is a black bar that goes verticaly down the right hand side of the screen.

I have a widescreen tv so I just shift the screen to the right, but IMHO I really shouldn't have to.

Also I have tried it with DVDs and they are fine its just the formats I mentioned above. Also before I even play my game, it is clearly visible in the browser screen as well.

When I was in my local dixons I saw GT3 running on a widescreen tv, and I think it was doing it there too.

Is this meant to do this or is there something wrong with my machine?????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.