GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real reason Dixons is selling GC at £99"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/03/03 at 16:14
Regular
Hi Fanboys I'm back it's been an interesting few week though.

ADVERTISEMENT
Nintendo's British Retail Woes
11-MAR-03
Dixons, a large video-game retailer in Britain, announced today that it would drastically slash the price of the GameCube in its stores, a promotion that's widely seen as the final chance for Nintendo's console before the seller drops the product entirely.

The discount, which takes effect starting this week, will bring the Cube system down to 99 pounds (about $159) in Dixons, PC World and Currys stores across Britain, three chains which together account for 20 percent of current Nintendo console sales in the region. This is a 25-percent discount over the 130 pounds it normally costs, which is just a smidge below the MSRP of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox in the U.K.

Dixons spokesman Hamish Thompson told the Reuters news service that sales of the GameCube, which comes with one free game in the U.K., will likely determine whether the retailer continues stocking it in the future. "It really depends on customer demand," he said. The store will continue carrying the Game Boy Advance no matter what happens.

Nintendo of Europe claims it has sold 1.5 million GameCube consoles since the system launched across the continent last May. This puts it slightly behind the Xbox and way, way behind the PS2, which dominates 80 percent of European console sales
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:14
Regular
Hi Fanboys I'm back it's been an interesting few week though.

ADVERTISEMENT
Nintendo's British Retail Woes
11-MAR-03
Dixons, a large video-game retailer in Britain, announced today that it would drastically slash the price of the GameCube in its stores, a promotion that's widely seen as the final chance for Nintendo's console before the seller drops the product entirely.

The discount, which takes effect starting this week, will bring the Cube system down to 99 pounds (about $159) in Dixons, PC World and Currys stores across Britain, three chains which together account for 20 percent of current Nintendo console sales in the region. This is a 25-percent discount over the 130 pounds it normally costs, which is just a smidge below the MSRP of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox in the U.K.

Dixons spokesman Hamish Thompson told the Reuters news service that sales of the GameCube, which comes with one free game in the U.K., will likely determine whether the retailer continues stocking it in the future. "It really depends on customer demand," he said. The store will continue carrying the Game Boy Advance no matter what happens.

Nintendo of Europe claims it has sold 1.5 million GameCube consoles since the system launched across the continent last May. This puts it slightly behind the Xbox and way, way behind the PS2, which dominates 80 percent of European console sales
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:19
Regular
"^_^"
Ah Top SCore I have something to ask you.

I got my *ahem* caught in the cd drive of my PS2 while i was *entertaining* my self. Well I was wondering if you have done this before and if you could explain how you removed your *ahem*.

Thu 20/03/03 at 16:21
"Darkness, always"
Old news Spore.

Oh, and Nintendo of Europe sold 1.5 million by the end of last year, not to date.
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:28
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
So what's the ~real~ reason?

We knew that they were stopping stock because of them not selling well about 2 weeks ago...

What's the ~real~ reason you're gonna tell us?
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:30
Regular
same old news? Is this price cut and the Zelda game the last chance for GamCube? Who knows. Anyone care? Not yet.
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:33
"Darkness, always"
*sits back with the peace of mind that he has 20 GC games to play and doesn't care about the "grander scheme" that everyone else holds in such high regard*
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:39
Regular
"Not your monkey"
CHERRY!!!

He's back.

Hows the Lexus?
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:40
"Darkness, always"
hohoho
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:43
Regular
"Festivus!"
Heard about Zelda beating GTA:VC's pre-orders yet?

Aha.
Thu 20/03/03 at 16:43
Regular
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> CHERRY!!!
>
> He's back.
>
> Hows the Lexus?

The Lexus is fine and the 19 year old girlfriend really likes the heated seats.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.